SASS Wire Forum

The Searchers

Buckshot Bear

Watched The Searchers last night, they new how to make great movies back in the day!

Sometimes they pronounced the Indians (the tribal Indians looked pretty realistic) as "Comanch" and sometimes as "Comanche" with an emphasise on the 'e' which is correct?

51RpvURINML.jpg.6c0d7f8d31cd2f065243d586e6d29b9e.jpg

The correct name of the tribe has the e sound on the end.

Shortening the name - leaving off the e sound - is equivalent to calling some of your indigenous peoples Abos.

Like a lot of John Ford westerns, The Searchers was filmed in Monument Valley. It’s about 2 hours from here. The Native tribe there is Navajo. All the Indian dialogue is Navajo. The Comanche split off from the Shoshone tribe and their language is essentially Shoshone. The Death Song is actually a Navajo women's song. When they premiered the film locally, the Navajo audience thought that was hilarious. 

Sure. It's like calling Australians Aussies, or Newfounders Newfies, or British Brits. I don't think it's meant to be insulting, like calling French frogs or Germans krauts. Just a shortening of the name.

I've also seen in movies and read in books references to Apaches as " 'Paches".

I think people as a general rule are lazy, and if they can shorten a name by a syllable or six, they will do so. Like the war of 1861 was fought between the Yanks and the Rebs.

1 hour ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

Did you see the truck drive by in the back ground ?  I think it is in the seen were the Calavary is in the snow bringing in captive, look out in the back ground and you will see a truck drive by. Good movie, one of Johns best and Natalie Wood. I think Sue is right, slang.

I don't remember it when the movie first came out, but then I was only 13.  I notice now whenever I watch it, and actually wait for it when that scene is coming up.  One would think that they would have edited it out on the DVD version like the did with the truck in the background in the opening scenes in Shane.

On 2/26/2022 at 8:46 AM, Alpo said:

Sure. It's like calling Australians Aussies, or Newfounders Newfies, or British Brits. I don't think it's meant to be insulting, like calling French frogs or Germans krauts. Just a shortening of the name.

I've also seen in movies and read in books references to Apaches as " 'Paches".

I think people as a general rule are lazy, and if they can shorten a name by a syllable or six, they will do so. Like the war of 1861 was fought between the Yanks and the Rebs.

"Frogs" & "Krauts" are derogatory terms.

1 hour ago, J.D. Daily said:

"Frogs" & "Krauts" are derogatory terms.

You misread it.  He said it was insulting.

I don't think it's meant to be insulting, like calling French frogs or Germans krauts. Just a shortening of the name.

35 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Hang me now. The Searchers is one of my least favorite John Wayne movies.

I know how you feel. I have never understood why people like Red River. Stupid movie. Duke is a jerk. And if I was the guy that stole the sugar, within the next couple of days Duke would have had the back of his head blowed off with a shotgun.

5 hours ago, Alpo said:

I know how you feel. I have never understood why people like Red River. Stupid movie. Duke is a jerk. And if I was the guy that stole the sugar, within the next couple of days Duke would have had the back of his head blowed off with a shotgun.

It's a strange movie in many ways (Red River). I watched for the first time in years a few months ago. Overall I still  like it but Wayne's part is way overplayed. He becomes a monomaniac to the point he organizes a band to take down and kill his former friends, for the 'crime' of being right. Then after a friendly fistfight, a few punches and rolling around on the ground, all is well and forgiven and the ending is happy. Very weird wrap-up, I thought.

17 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Hang me now. The Searchers is one of my least favorite John Wayne movies.

I never cared for True Grit.  Never thought JW should have played a drunkard.

9 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I never cared for True Grit.  Never thought JW should have played a drunkard.

I think it was his best role, except maybe in his last. Wayne got caught in his own iconic image-- why shouldn't a good actor play a drunkard, especially one like Rooster Cogburn? Lot's of people project their own images on actors, then and now.

But so much else about the movie was bad. Kim Darby as Mattie Ross was the worst casting decision in all of film, or close. Glen Campbell wasn't good, but that didn't matter so much.

And I can't get past the silly happy ending. What's with that? Did JW require it? Was it the times? A mystery to me...

Aha! I always suspected Okie was a communist!

When you watch The Searchers on Blu-ray on the big TV screen, the star of the movie becomes the background scenery.

Archived