SASS Wire Forum

Jeep Liberty - #*$&^%

So Half-Breed Pete's in town, and asked me to assist in changing the O2 sensors on his 2005 V6 (3.7) Jeep Liberty.

Anyone ever done this...?  Specifically, has anyone ever figgered out how to reach the #*&&^% connectors and unplug 'em??  :angry:

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

What does "#*$&^%" mean????

:) 

Unprintable bad words.  

I had one of those, great vehicle but the sensors are absolutely a nightmare to get to. I wish I could encourage you. At least you can put down that it will always get 17 mpg no matter what or where.

No, it's getting to the harness to release the clips. Worse than a 77 Chevy Monza with a 305 V8 under the hood.

Check out youtube they have 1000s of videos on how to auto repair.

3 minutes ago, T.K. said:

Check out youtube they have 1000s of videos on how to auto repair.

True but watch the whole video before starting the work. Some of these guys get to the hard part, stop the video and then when they return the hard part is done with no explanation as to why they skipped it. :lol:

Okay... we got the after two.  We literally demolished the sensor-side of the electrical fasteners - that business of "press the tab and disconnect" is road apples.  Pat nailed it with his observation!

Puttin' the tools away for the evening... I'm off to have tacos with Helen Brimstone and HBP can laager at the homestead and ponder his sins for buying this beast.  He's thinking we might have to drop the front propeller shaft to get partial access to the forward plugs....   :huh:

1 hour ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

I probably shouldn’t tell you this but very seldom do all 4 sensors go bad .  You can pull codes and they will tell you which on needs replaced . 
 I do all my own work and tuning 

9BD72C1B-6488-4F65-A41C-9523D0E9B05D.jpeg

I got news for you, the Liberty is a rat's nest compared to that!

Howdy,

Apply penetrant and give time for it to work.

Rush and frozen parts snap. Bolts break. Nuts round off.

Northern Illinois is probably the rust capitol of the world...or universe

Ya universe.

Spray or brush penetrant. Wiggle tap or ???

Wait.

Apply a little heat if and only if it wont make it worse.

Prayer wont hurt either.

Best

CR

If possible apply blaster (the brand family is PB) for 2 or 3 days but on an o2 sensor it'll just burn off if its used..

Heat then while still hot press a candle into the threads. The wax will wick into the threads and help lubricate. Turn 1/4 turn and then return like tapping a hole for threads

I love 1a auto, youtube, Clymer and chilton.

@Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967, you are making me feel better.  I’m getting ready to go and replace the radiator in my ‘93 Bronco that was spewing coolant from both sides.  It’s a balmy 35* F here and should be getting warmer. 

At least the early 90’s engine compartments have some room to work.  I dislike wrenching on my ‘06’s for the lack of space.

Once you find the connection and get it apart, if you can't break the sensor loose with a wrench and need a socket; sacrifice an old one and cut a slot on the side for the wire.

22 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Once you find the connection and get it apart, if you can't break the sensor loose with a wrench and need a socket; sacrifice an old one and cut a slot on the side for the wire.

No need for that. You're tossing the old sensor anyway, cut the wire off. When I did mine, (2002 Jeep TJ), I went to Autozone and rented a socket set made just for O2 sensors. 

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Buy a socket when you buy the O2 sensors.  I have a 2004 RAV4 which has 250K on it.  It was our daily driver until my daughter needed a car because the lease on her Mitsubishi was up and could afford to pay it off due to a divorce & bankruptcy.  After that it was her daily driver until she remarried.  After that it was my youngest grandson's car until he went in the Navy right after graduating from high school.  The RAV4 was then returned.  The ECM would through a code after the oil got hot.  Worst part of the change was the post-CAT sensor.  It has long wires which run into the cabin where the connector is located under the center console.  You have to pull up the carpet on the passenger front seat side.  Also the center console has to be unscrewed to be able to access the connector.  The pre-CAT sensor is the  is the easiest to replace I've ever seen.  It is located in the engine exhaust manifold which also includes the CAT. 

16 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

I have done them , they really arent that bad . 

Wanna bet...?  :rolleyes:

I watched that 1AAUTO video before starting.  The 3.7 v-6 Liberty has four sensors; they selected the only one that was reasonably accessible for the demonstration.  The other three are definitely NOT requiring the same effort.

I've replaced many O2 sensors in many vehicles, and have a selection of "specialized" wrenches for such.  However, for the passenger side rear, I had to take a torch to a 7/8" open end and re-shape it to clear the transmission body/pan.

We replaced the two downstream sensors, and broke the two upstream units loose.  However, we wisely decided that HBP will be better served visiting a friend who has a lift while on an upcoming trip to Utah*. 

Again, the issue is not so much removing the sensors from the exhaust tubes, but rather accessing the electrical connectors.  Not only are they downright impossible for a man with large hands and forearms to reach, but they do NOT disconnect as easily as the videos might lead one to believe.  "Press the tab and slide off?"  Road apples.  -_-

*So, @Buckshot Bear, getting back to the humor aspect...  yesterday, I nearly bonked myself a good 'un.  HBP and I were underneath the beast, fighting to break that starboard downstream sniffer loose, when he mentioned someone from our past... which brought to mind a story from our Kappa Phi Delta days... and we laughed so darned hard I lost control of that oversized, re-shaped wrench.  I think it sparked when it hit the cement - but thankfully missed my haid by a whisker!  ^_^

Which of course set Pete guffawing all the harder...  and I think he accidentally kicked one of the jackstands... fortunately, it only leaned a mite - the back-up hydraulic jack did it's job.  

We're done for the weekend~!  :lol:  

PS - By the way - it's not throwing any codes anymore  :ph34r:

PPS - Before we tackled the sensors, we changed the struts and shocks.  I won't even get into that here... Yikes!

PPPS - Note to self... Ol' Hardpan will NEVER buy one o' them Liberty's.  :huh:

Archived