SASS Wire Forum

Venting!

Utah Bob #35998

No, not about the world situation.

Back around 8 weeks ago, I purchased a military collectible from a guy in California. I sent a check because he couldn’t seem to figure out how to use PayPal or any of the online pay systems.

When he mailed it he used UPS, which I told him not to do because it was more expensive. But he’s paranoid of porch pirate theft. I explained I lifve out in the country and he should send it to my post office. But he didn’t. So he paid through the nose by using UPS packing service. I told him that was on his dime not mine. I got the item with no problem of course.

A few weeks later I got the check back with a “No such number. Undeliverable” from the post office. Turns out he’s not good at capitalizations or punctuation and the address he gave me was xxxxx xxst st w lancaster ca xxxxx

Turns out it should have been xxxxx,  xxst St West, Lancaster, CA.  There is no West Lancaster. So I sent it again.

It came back again today. Same message. :angry:

So I messaged him and showed the address he had given me. He had added one digit too many in his house number. Even though I had sent him a pic of the addressed envelope before I mailed it!

Then when he gave me the “correct” number this afternoon he put Can instead of CA. It would have come back again.  I just sent him a pic of the envelope Again and he insured me it was correct. We’ll see……maybe 3rd time’s the charm.

I think he’s a Very Very Senior citizen or just dumb as a bag of hammers. Or both. :angry: Geeze!!

Sorry for rambling but it pi**ed me off.
Rant mode off.

Bourbon mode on.

Yes Buckshot. It's too bad our US brethren don't know how to spell the Queen's English, isn't it?

Tssk Tssk, it's such a trial. Eh?

6 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

The problem was that you sent him a check and not a cheque :) :) 

Or a Czech.

That's wild he sent it without even having the money. You could have just walked off with it by sending the check to a bogus address. Good on you for trying to make it right.

I have old mail/envelopes in a filing cabinet addressed to my grandfather simply as, "[My Grandfather], White house east of East Helena, Montana"

Bob, Lancaster, CA to an old town which is divided east and west through it's center at Division St.

The major north/south streets are numbered.

1 mile has 1st through 10th street

Now it goes out to 260th St E and out to about 300 St W.

The major east west streets are confusing as well.

They start north end of the valley with E or W "A" St. (just short of Rosamond CA)

They go south to E or W "S" St.

There other street names between these major roads/streets.

Who every named all the rods out there was in a hurry or drunk.

Your seller needs to get you the correct address, exactly or it will go to someone else or be returned.

5 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I feel bad for him...heaven help us that we don't end up with difficulties that make everyday functions difficult.

Hope folks are patient with me if and when this happens.

Phantom

Too late!

7 hours ago, Primus Palus said:

That's wild he sent it without even having the money. You could have just walked off with it by sending the check to a bogus address. Good on you for trying to make it right.

Some of us remember when this was commonly done, and still is among many.  It's called "The Cowboy Way."  :) 

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Some of us remember when this was commonly done, and still is among many.  It's called "The Cowboy Way."  :) 

It was about 4 years ago, I was at the Calgary Stampede, dressed in boots, 10 gal hat and the obligatory bullet stopping belt buckle when I stopped to buy a corn dog and a diet pepsi at one of the concessions.  I had the corn dog in my left hand and the pepsi cradled between my left arm and body when the guy gave me my change.  Because I couldn't reach my wallet in this position, I stuffed it into my shirt pocket.  I was meandering through the midway chomping on the corndog and this fellow, about 50ish in age, came up on my left and said, "Excuse me, sir, but you just dropped this."  It was a $10 bill. it had somehow fallen out of my shirt pocket. 

16 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I feel bad for him...heaven help us that we don't end up with difficulties that make everyday functions difficult.

Hope folks are patient with me if and when this happens.

Phantom

Gosh Phantom, there's a lot of folks that ain't patient with you now (cept me).   :lol:

..........Widder

Happy Trails owner of the Smith Shop would send order before payment all the time. I would tell him to tell me how much I owed, he would say wait till you get it.

What a nice man.

I once sent him a check, forgot to sign it, he called me, boy did I feel like a ass., got a new one in the mail with in a hour.

Yes the Cowboy Way is still out there.

Rob

Archived