SASS Wire Forum

Do you knock?

Alpo

You going to your Mama and Daddy's house. Do you knock, or do you just walk in?

Both of my brothers moved out of state, and that might have something to do with it, but when they come back to Florida and go see Mama and Daddy, they'd knock on the door. Me - I just lived down the road a piece, and I'd just walk in. I grew up in that house, and still thought of it is my house.

I always knocked, didn’t want to get shot by my Dad! 

YOU KNOCK--definitely, unless specifically told not to.  We all grew up in houses other than where we live today.  That doesn't give us any right of access. 

Everybody deserves privacy from people just barging in.  Sometimes you just want to sit around in your underwear. or less.  

Had an automatic garage door opener when my father was alive.  I was in and out all the time.

Mom lives alone now. We all knock.

“If you’re not living here it’s not your house. KNOCK!”

My words to my daughter and her husband. 
When my Mom was still alive I always knocked. 
She would tell me I didn’t need to, but I do not like people just walking into my home. I won’t do it to others. 

My wife’s family would just walk right in. Rude bunch of $&@#£%*! One day my father-in-law strolled right in to find a shotgun trained on his midsection. The No Knock Intrusions ended that day. Not sure what he expected as he was wearing a new hooded coat and a scarf around his face.

Both our adult children now live nearby.  Our daughter comes by on almost a daily basis.  She always calls, or texts, before she arrives.  She doesn't knock before coming in, but we know she's about to arrive.  She knows us well enough not to arrive unannounced.

Our son's best friend spent more time at our house than he ever did at either of his divorced parent's houses.  He still calls us mom and dad.  When my son and his friend were both out of town at college, after dark, someone rang our front doorbell.  I glanced out a side window and saw no one there.  As I continued to watch, our "son from another mother", rang the doorbell again.  This time I answered the front door, Glock in hand.  His smile disappeared when he saw the pistol.  He said, "I made a big mistake, didn't I?  He has shot with us many times, including cowboy matchs.

Visits were / are always planned and involve vehicles. At my parents' house we were greeted at the front door as we got out of the car near the house in a rather short driveway.  The same in our case, except that our dogs announce visitors before their vehicle is in sight of the house.  An appropriate greeting is always ready depending on the visitors.

I would just walk into my folks house. I grew up in it. Later I would knock as I entered but they knew I was in the drive. When dad died and mom moved I would knock and then open the door so mom didn't have to get up.

Any other homes I knock and wait to be greeted. 

Just walk right in - but announce yourself loudly as soon as you're in!

Loudly because they're half deaf.   Walk right in because they can't hear you knocking - and would be ticked off for making them come to the door if they DID hear you!

Our 5 kids live nearby and three of them within a few city blocks. We live in the house they grew up in. 

With them it's 'knock and announce'. But they have keys and we usually keep the door locked. So their entry doesn't cause any surprises, they knock as they unlock, then they holler out their names.

We have many adult grandkids in the area. But they don't have keys. They knock.

I knock on both of my son’s houses and in addition they always know I’m coming. I call or text on the way. We don’t do “stop over visits unannounced “. They always checks with me before they come over as well. 

The only house that I never knocked at was my Grandmother's in Bartow, FL. The door was never locked, neither front or back. The house was built in the '20's I think and the doors/door hardware had never been changed. The door and wood floor creaked pretty loud. Not only that but the screen door would slam loudly if you let it due to the (so it seemed) howitzer return spring. They always knew when we were coming over anyway.

She passed away some time ago. Thanks for reminding me of that time in my life. A much more pleasant world then versus now.

1 hour ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

You knock. It's not your house. You don't live there.

You never know. They might be. Well. You don't want to walk in on that. 

Exactly!!!

Knock.

If you have keys and use them, then walk through the door talking loudly so they can recognize your voice.  Sneaking around when dropping something off so's "not to wake them up" is a great way to get a gun pointed at you. 

Ask my sister's 1st husband about that.

Also, knock on the door,  don't bang on the screen on the bedroom window.  That's a great way to scare someone.   When the drapes or blinds are parted to see what's causing the racket, it's liable to be with a muzzle, not a finger.

Ask the same idiot mentioned above about that.

Ever see someone try to jump and duck at the same time?  Their feet come off the ground a couple of feet but their head never moves.  It was like he squatted- but in mid air.  He seemed to levitate as he moved about 4 feet sideways at the same time. 

In retrospect, I think his reaction was hilarious (fat boy had some jump in him, who woulda thought it was possible?) but, at the time, I thought something was trying to come up amongst us through the window.  Hence the parting of the drapes and the mini blind with a Dan Wesson.

Archived