SASS Wire Forum

How much would you carry?

Alpo

7 hours ago, Primus Palus said:

Same I carry now... $0. I use debit for everything. There's almost no reason to have cash anymore. Unless I'm buying lotto tickets to get 20 more million.

Plenty of reasons to use cash. I use cash all the time. This won't work at Walmart but every time I shop at a smaller venue and ask if they offer a cash discount most of the time I get up to 10% off my purchase with cash. I've purchased tools, tires, ammunition, firearms, car parts, motel stays, the list goes on.... all discounted because I offer cash. There are businesses in my town that openly offer discounts for paying in cash. I'll take that discount, thank you very much.

As far as the OP's question, if I had 20 million dollars I'd feel comfortable carrying at least 10K. The problem then becomes not the dollar amount but where exactly on your person to carry it. :D Even Benjis are going to take some doing.

A local restaurant discounts for cash , and gun shop . Honestly I wish more businesses would do this so people would realize how much they are giving to cc companies. Look at gun broker sellers , don’t blame them one bit 

I carry a checkbook with me to gun shops.  Locally, many of them still charge a 3% fee for CC use.  They treat a check as cash, saving me the 3% on purchases.

Sometimes they just won't do it.

This was several years back when they were much cheaper. I was buying a machine gun. It cost $5,000. I was asking for a 2% discount for cash. He refused.

I explained to him that my credit card would pay me 1%, so they were going to give me $50 for making the purchase. But they would charge him 4%, so they were going to charge him $200 for accepting the card.

All I wanted was $100 off the price, which would get me an extra $50, and save him $100. I showed him the stack of $100 bills.

He wouldn't do it so I put it on the plastic. :rolleyes:

If you mess around in the horse market at all everything is cash And good horses are going for 10K or better So you need to carry plenty A lot of people won't take checks If I sell a horse I won't take a check

On 2/24/2022 at 5:51 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Not really much need for carrying cash around these days unless you’re making a rap video …..or buying drugs.

Sorry, Bob, but I've gotta disagree.

That kind of thinking is why civil forfeiture is being abused and honest citizens are being literally robbed on the side of the road by law enforcement- with no proof that either they or the money was involved in a crime and no recourse to allow the victims to recoup their loss.

Come to think of it, the last three used vehicles we bought (from individuals) we paid cash. Amazing, the negotiating power of cash. Works quite well. ;)

If I'd had 20 million though, Idda just had my butler go buy the car. :D

Two to three hundred bucks. Sometimes more if I'm taking my emigre' Magyar aristocrat mistress out to dinner. I like to pay cash for such infrequent events. Restaurant meals and drinks are getting expensive these days, if you haven't noticed.

I've never heard of cash discounts. Haha. But then I stopped carrying cash in like 1999. But it does make sense with the stupid credit card percentage fees charged to businesses. Might need to start carrying cash again.

Archived