SASS Wire Forum

Medical question

Alpo

Watching an episode of Bones. They're taking a core sample from a bone on a living patient. And they tell the girl "this will hurt", and she's wincing and squinching her face up as a stick her in the leg.

And I just wondered why they didn't put her to sleep. Is there a reason why it would be bad to have the patient under a general when taking a core sample? I thought the whole purpose of a general anesthesia was so that you did not have to feel the pain of whatever the doctor was doing.

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

AFAIK being under general anesthesia is the most dangerous part of most medical procedures. 

My surgeon asked if I wanted him to do my total hip replacement under a local so I could watch. Since I worked for a medical device maker, I told him I'd already watched the videos. KNOCK ME OUT!!!!!!!

One thing I learned from sad, personal experience, is that general anesthetic, in some of us oldsters, can trigger delirium or acute confusion.

It happened to my wife 6 months ago and it's been a downhill spiral ever since. 

At my age of 78 and needing knee replacements, it has me questioning surgery for me.

Just had a general six or so weeks ago.  Out like a light, no pain,  no hangover or other ill after effects.  We're about the same age.  Ask the doc, and the anesthesiologist.  All'you'll get here is stuff like this - personal experience.

I was put under , some years back , still ain't got the truth , of how , I ended up with blood on my feet 

under perfectly clean surg, hose , kinda figure some one got whipped , on besides me being cut 

I now warn the DRs , ya might not like , whom ya got , when I come up 

CB :wacko:

On 2/23/2022 at 4:04 PM, Alpo said:

Watching an episode of Bones. They're taking a core sample from a bone on a living patient. And they tell the girl "this will hurt", and she's wincing and squinching her face up as a stick her in the leg.

And I just wondered why they didn't put her to sleep. Is there a reason why it would be bad to have the patient under a general when taking a core sample? I thought the whole purpose of a general anesthesia was so that you did not have to feel the pain of whatever the doctor was doing.

Normal practice is to keep the patient conscious and use a strong local anesthetic.  The patient should feel very little pain, except very briefly (second or two) when the large guage needed pierces the periosteum or bone covering membrane, which is separately and richly innervated. 

My wife is an Internist who has done hundreds of BMBs.  She said the practice of doing them without the anesthesia is abnormal and ridiculously unnecessary.  She said where people are denied even a local blocker, the patient ought to push back and suspect the drugs intended for them could have been stolen by somebody at the facility.  They need to see if insurance was charged for the Lidocaine or other pain drugs that they were not given.   

On 2/23/2022 at 4:04 PM, Alpo said:

And I just wondered why they didn't put her to sleep. Is there a reason why it would be bad to have the patient under a general when taking a core sample? I thought the whole purpose of a general anesthesia was so that you did not have to feel the pain of whatever the doctor was 

Duplicate --Sorry

Every time I try to post to the Saloon, I have to re-Login before anything will post, even of I am only away for 15 minutes.  When I try to post tge first message, all I get is a "saving" notification at tge bottom.  The msg doesn't post as long as I stay logged in.

So I cut-paste the text into a new reply, which gets posted normally.  Then, several hours later the first one gets posted too.  I have no idea why this happens. 

17 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

One thing I learned from sad, personal experience, is that general anesthetic, in some of us oldsters, can trigger delirium or acute confusion.

At my age of 78 and needing knee replacements, it has me questioning surgery for me.

Me too! I had arthroscopic surgery 8 years ago on my knee and I felt like I was out for literally 3 seconds! It was 45 minutes!

That's kinda scary at my age, 74 

20 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

My knee replacement was done with a spinal block as opposite to a general. I was asleep with propofol which is the same stuff they use for colonoscopies. Ask your doc. I had no difficulty waking up. 

I have had 11 major surgeries , first one at age 28 and the last one at age 75. I was totally under on all of them, wouldn't want it any other way. 2 months ago I had Carpal Tunnel surgery and I was awake and it was not bad at all. I know it is minor and only took about 1/2 hour. So it depends on the type of surgery OMHO.

On 2/25/2022 at 6:41 PM, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

I was put under , some years back , still ain't got the truth , of how , I ended up with blood on my feet 

under perfectly clean surg, hose , kinda figure some one got whipped , on besides me being cut 

I now warn the DRs , ya might not like , whom ya got , when I come up 

CB :wacko:

My daughter was a surgical technician pre covid and has told me numerous stories from the OR, without names of course. You don't want to know.

Archived