SASS Wire Forum

Mare's Leg with Rio Bravo Loop.

I just got my Chiappa Mare's Leg back from the gunsmith.  I always thought the D shaped lever it came with from the factory was kinda goofy looking.  So I got a "Rio Bravo" loop from the manufacturer and had it installed.   So now, the gun looks like this...

MaresLegRioBravoLoop.thumb.jpg.6d2d0b5d6bece784f7eff31c2689aafe.jpg

Personally, I think it looks a lot cooler this way.

And yes, it is much easier to spin cock.   May some day it with snap caps to see if it actually works.

It should not work.

In spin cocking, when the lever is all the way open, and the cartridge is released from the magazine and is sitting on the loading ramp waiting to be pushed into the chamber, held in place solely by gravity, the gun is upside down.

What should happen is the loaded cartridge falls out the open top of the gun.

My understanding is that on The Rifleman and Stagecoach, and other TV shows and movies that involve spin cocking a 92, a modification is made to hold the cartridge in place for that split second it is upside down.

For some reason every time I think about the process of spinning a lever gun this image or mini mind video of the gun somehow going off and shooting my in the armpit. I actually had a dream once about this. An incredibly vivid dream that included intense pain from being shot. Really weird. This dream occurred right after practicing and successfully spinning my unloaded Winchester 30-30 Carbine and deciding it was not wise. 

Archived