SASS Wire Forum

Defining role for an actor/actress?

DeaconKC

Okay, we have had fun with these movie themes. Is there a role someone played that was just their defining role to you?

I would have to start with Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird.

Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's Monster

Sylvester Stallone as Rambo

George Reeves as Superman

Clayton Moore as the Lone Ranger

Jay Silverheels as Tonto

Walter Brennen as Grandpa McCoy

John Wayne as.....

Well,John Wayne

Val Kilmer as Iceman (Top Gun)

Michael Biehn as Kyle Reese (Terminator)

Tom Selleck as Thomas Magnum (Magnum PI)

Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates (Rawhide)

Gerard Butler as King Leonidas (300)

Morgan Freeman as Holk Colburn (Driving Miss Daisy)

Harrison Ford as Hans Solo (Star Wars)

Bruce Willis as John McClane (Die Hard)

Gilligan walked through a time warp, and ended up back in the old west.

He was the scout on a wagon train. There was the wagon master. The virtuous school marm. The rich banker and his wife. The saloon girl. And the engineer-in-training.

Boy that sounds familiar.

Kurt Russel - Wyatt Earp

Val Kilmer - Doc Holliday

Taylor Kitsch - John Carter (Yes, I watched it, and Yes, I liked it!)

Chris Hemsworth - Thor

Robert Downey Jr. - Iron Man

Sean Connery - James Bond

Star Trek. Think about it, the only one that did much else was Shatner, and he's STILL thought of mostly as Capt. Kirk.

Leonard Nimoy did a couple years on Mission Impossible, But until his death was ALWAYS thought of as Spock.

Walter Koenig did a couple seasons on Babylon 5, but is still thought of as Chekov.

George Takei has done a few guest shots here and there, but for the most part, the rest haven't done much of anything else.

Alan Rickman as Elliot Marston.  I had previously watched him die in Die Hard, and have seen him in lots of other films, but his role in Quigley Down Under is what I think of him when I hear or see his name or photo.  

elliot marston.jpg

16 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Alan Rickman as Elliot Marston.  I had previously watched him die in Die Hard, and have seen him in lots of other films, but his role in Quigley Down Under is what I think of him when I hear or see his name or photo.  

elliot marston.jpg

Severus Snape

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Roy Rogers as Roy Rogers starring in Roy Rogers. Has there been a movie or TV show before or since, where the name of the show is the same as the character and actor's name?

Gene Autry as Gene Autry starring Gene Autry.  Gene Autry's name was real.  Roy Rogers real name was Leonard Sly.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Creek Law Dog said:

Roy Rogers real name was Leonard Sly.

You sure about that?

Now I know that Roy's birth name was Leonard, but did he just perform UNDER the name of Roy Rogers (if so, his real name would still be Leonard) or did he have his name legally changed to Roy Rogers, in which case his real name was Roy Rogers.

16 minutes ago, Alpo said:

You sure about that?

Now I know that Roy's birth name was Leonard, but did he just perform UNDER the name of Roy Rogers (if so, his real name would still be Leonard) or did he have his name legally changed to Roy Rogers, in which case his real name was Roy Rogers.

From IMDB

<quote>

Roy Rogers (born Leonard Slye) moved to California in 1930, aged 18. He played in such musical groups as The Hollywood Hillbillies, Rocky Mountaineers, Texas Outlaws, and his own group, the International Cowboys. In 1934 he formed a group with Bob Nolan called Sons of the Pioneers. While in that group he was known as Leonard Slye, then Dick Weston. Their songs included "Cool Water" and "Tumbling Tumbleweeds". They first appeared in the western Rhythm on the Range (1936), starring Bing Crosbyand Martha Raye. In 1936 he appeared as a bandit opposite Gene Autry in "The Old Coral". In 1937 Rogers went solo from "The Sons Of The Pioneeres", and made his first starring film in 1938, Under Western Stars (1938). He made almost 100 films. The Roy Rogers Show (1951) ran on NBC from October 1951 through 1957 and on CBS from 1961 to September 1964. In 1955, 67 of his feature films were released to television.

<end quote>

<quote>

In his autobiography, "Happy Trails: The Story of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans," the former Leonard Slye stated that his stage name of Roy Rogers was given to him by executives at Republic Pictures when he became their new singing cowboy to replace Gene Autry. The Rogers came from Will Rogers, the beloved western comic and storyteller who had recently died in a plane crash in Alaska and Roy was made the first name because it is the French word for "king," as in "Roy Rogers, King of the Cowboys." Roy said he had no input at all in the renaming decision.

<end quote>

Archived