SASS Wire Forum

My new (to me) Ruger GP100

Pat Riot

Well, I picked up my Ruger GP100 yesterday. It ain’t pretty. It ain’t sexy. But, Man, I really like this gun!
GP100.thumb.jpeg.9b35bfdbcd0fa4d1824e821d4e90dacc.jpeg

I fired it with hand loads that my S&W models 19-4 and 327 Night Guard like and I was not disappointed for the first time shooting this gun. Both SA and DA firing went pretty well. I am no great marksman with a handgun but I was pleased with the targets.
My load is 158 grain TMJ FP Xtreme bullet over 6.1 grains of W244. It’s a nice magnum load but not a real barn burner. The GP100 liked it just fine at 10 yards. The two bullseyes on the left are with the GP100.
Target.thumb.jpeg.edfc4a30a7ed896425cdc74738d498c0.jpeg

When I first fired the gun it was hitting to the left. I hadn’t noticed the rear side was moved all the way to the left. I adjusted it to shoot the targets above. Also, the gun has an all fluorescent green front sight blade. You can see it in the photo below. Not sure if I dislike the front sight yet. It was hard for me to see.
1453177890_GP100Sight.thumb.jpeg.4dcb4698d9e1889174b67400f7a08238.jpeg

All in all I am very pleased with my purchase. Very pleased.
The gun has enough heft that my magnum loads feel like .38s.
I even brought my model 19 and the 327 NG to compare.
I did discover Berry’s isn’t kidding about not exceeding 1200 fps with their bullets. I had some loads using their bullets and 6.2 grains of W244 and shot them from my 19. Something blew back and put a hole in my cheek. I am guessing it was bullet jacket material and it also may have occurred because I put too much crimp on them. The loads with Xtreme bullets worked great. I think I will leave the Berry’s .357 bullets for .38 Special loads.

I have already decided I need more Ruger DA''s  in my life.

Yesterday turned out to be a pretty good day.
Now I need to do something with that front sight. 

Pat, Hogue makes great looking grips in all sorts of different materials. Would make that Ruger look snazzy.

21 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Pat, Hogue makes great looking grips in all sorts of different materials. Would make that Ruger look snazzy.

Hogue makes the grip that's on it. It's just ugly as a mud fence, but it feels great.:D

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

...I have already decided I need more Ruger DA''s  in my life...

This is:

A. Never wrong.

B. A good plan.

C. Always worth the effort.

D. The fastest way to a huge gungrin.

E. Always fun to talk about.

F... I can go on... :D

My wife used to carry a 4 inch stainless GP-100, I was working at a gun shop at the time and we had 2 come in , she saw them and said she wanted one.She carried it in her purse for a couple years before deciding it was heavy. I traded it for a SP-101, which she liked better because of the weight difference. They are great guns and will give you many years of service.

Well, I have 7 Smith & Wesson revolvers. This is the first Ruger double action I have owned. I shot one years ago in 91 or 92. For some reason I never considered buying one. I love Ruger single actions. Not sure why I didn’t give their DA revolvers a chance. Now I want a Redhawk…or an SP101…or another GP100.  :D

Just curious, how many “Favorite” revolvers can one have?

Sold mine about 20 years ago, one I should have kept. Used it for outdoor Bullseye. Congrats Pat.

I want it's predecessor... the Security Six.  :)

Ruger Security-Six | An Official Journal Of The NRA

I got it's older brother...a Ruger Speed Six.  It's not wearing the rubber grips any more.  I found a pair of factory walnut and put on it.

speed six.jpg

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I want it's predecessor... the Security Six.  :)

Ruger Security-Six | An Official Journal Of The NRA

I used to have a stainless 4" Security Six. The ex stole it when she left. I bought another one to replace it, then foolishly traded it off 3 years later. I have been attempting, off and on, for the last 15 years to get it back from the guy I traded it to. He said that it is his stepmother's bedside gun, and if he tried to get it she would shoot him with it, so I am just SOL.

I took my GP100 out of the safe this morning so I could clean it up to take it out and dirty it up again today. As I was trying to determine which gun rug fit it best I kept hearing this rattling when I was moving it around. This made me a little nervous. The kid I bought it from was a nice guy but not the brightest bulb in the marquee. 
Besides, it needed a little oil in the moving parts, so off to the garage I went. 
I am pretty sure this guy sat around fondling his gun and eating Cheetos. The rattling I heard was the Hogue Monogrip hardware rattling. The bottom screw of the grip wasn’t even in the threads. The grip was being held on by a funny goo near the top of the grip that meets the frame that looked like Cheetos and hamburger grease. YUCK!

Pretty sure this guy also played lots of quick draw with this gun in a crappy Kydex holster, which I now one and will never use. The bluing is worn in spots that match the Fobis holster. 

Anyway, she’s all cleaned and lubed and ready for some target practice after work.

27B2D588-AD94-4428-A6F4-650FFCD8F701.thumb.jpeg.e50a2ec6570f375dac29da7688f9ce4b.jpeg 

I've ran into more than a few of the Hogue Monogrips that were improperly installed.  It's common.  

Enjoy that shooter.  It's a tank, and will last a long time.

Sexy Girl :wub:

Being a Smith & Wesson guy I am becoming more and more impressed with my GP 100. I do like it very much…all except for the front sight. Basically when aiming and looking at the sights the front sight is a solid fluorescent chartreuse green. I do not care for it.

9AB8EC9F-5BFC-4042-9924-8C1F1DA1AC38.thumb.jpeg.95835eadf6eb5e065a1052a757efee1f.jpeg

I went on a mission to find a better front sight. Unfortunately there aren’t many choices out there. Probably because of supply and demand issues or some other unknown. Even plain black front sights are unavailable.
Then I found the Hi-Viz Lite Wave front sight on the Ruger website for $35 + shipping. I also found the sight on Natchez for $20 + $13 shipping. Then I found it Amazon for $26 + free shipping and I bought it.
I was impressed how easy it was to change the sight just by compressing the front sight plunger and then removed the factory sight and installed the Lite Wave sight.
I am looking forward to trying out these sights now.

1ACE0B77-2208-4255-BEFB-6F010930BD3C.thumb.jpeg.f44397b275f2e491309ec928e1d52ec5.jpeg

I will probably go with the green light pipe. I will try the white first. Red fiber optics and red dot sights blob out on me when too bright. 

On 2/23/2022 at 7:39 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I love Ruger single actions. Not sure why I didn’t give their DA revolvers a chance. Now I want a Redhawk…or an SP101…or another GP100.  :D

Ditto for me.
My GP100 was new in 1992 when Bill Clinton was the #1 gun salesman.
To this day, it is probably my favorite shooter.

When we were on hiatus in San Diego, I picked up the SP101 3" in 357 as a potential carry gun.

Good luck with finding a Redhawk.
I had to pony waaay up with the $$ for the 1996 Redhawk that is currently on the FedEx truck to my FFL.
Gun.Deals very briefly had two new ones at $1400, and they went within 48 hours.
I found mine on Gunbroker and had to mash the Buy It Now button if I wanted it.
$999 plus all the usual CC charge, shipping fees, sales tax, then CA fees and waiting period.

39 minutes ago, bgavin said:

Good luck with finding a Redhawk.

I still kick myself for not buying one when I lived in Oregon and Cabela's  had every model in stock in their display case. Including the .44 Magnum and the .45 Colt Alaskan models...or was it a .454...regardless, they had a bunch!

The 8 shot .357 attracted me but I couldn't get a sales person to pay attention to me so I left. Still wish I would have gotten one.

Pat, you looking for a Redhawk, or a Super Redhawk?

I know they made Redhawks in 357, 41, 44 magnum, and 45 Colt.

img_7439.thumb.jpg.0cbdda831851fce305f70ba1f8f036f6.jpg

But I do not believe they made the Alaskan Model in a Redhawk. And I know they didn't do a 454 in a Redhawk.

That was the Super Redhawk.

Ruger-Super-Redhawk.thumb.jpg.905f09e834935933d05213a9bcb199d9.jpg

Much bigger gun.

43 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I still kick myself for not buying one when I lived in Oregon and Cabela's  had every model in stock in their display case. Including the .44 Magnum and the .45 Colt Alaskan models...or was it a .454...regardless, they had a bunch!

I still kick myself for passing on the very same model Redhawk, while I was assisting a Masonic widow dispose of her husbands shooting gear.
His Redhawk was in superb condition, but this was before I got into my 44 Vaqueros and 1873, so I passed it by.
Kick, kick, kick...

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

Pat, you looking for a Redhawk, or a Super Redhawk?

I know they made Redhawks in 357, 41, 44 magnum, and 45 Colt.

img_7439.thumb.jpg.0cbdda831851fce305f70ba1f8f036f6.jpg

But I do not believe they made the Alaskan Model in a Redhawk. And I know they didn't do a 454 in a Redhawk.

That was the Super Redhawk.

Ruger-Super-Redhawk.thumb.jpg.905f09e834935933d05213a9bcb199d9.jpg

Much bigger gun.

Yep, the Alaskan is a Super Redhawk.

19 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Yep, the Alaskan is a Super Redhawk.

That one is on my short list. 454 Casull preferred but the 480 Ruger is pretty sexy. 

My neighbor sold his 454 to his brother, and replaced it with the 460... and he hates the 460... cuz it hurts him.
A lot.

I only had 1 experience with a Super Redhawk that I rented.
Hated the damn thing after the first shot.
Just hated everything about it.
Unwieldy, too-long barrel, just felt plain "wrong".

Archived