SASS Wire Forum

Border Check Point

JohnWesleyHardin

On my way to EOT.  Started in Iowa and going to Tombstone first.  I am in line at a border patrol check point with a truck full of guns.  Hope still see y'all there.  

What border?

Been there.   Seen said checkpoint.

Just be polite, answer their questions, and maybe thank them for doing their jobs.   They'll likely never ask to look in your vehicle.  If they do, just be honest.

As I remember, my encounter there went something like...

"Hello.  I am agent so and so.  We are doing a border check.   Are you a US Citizen, sir?"

"Yes."

"Okay, have a nice day."

And that was it.  No ID check. no asking to look at anything.   

Half the time they don't even ask any questions, just waive you through.  2 million illegals came across in 2021.  You think those checkpoints are very effective?

On the way to Winter Range in 2008. Bridge to by-pass Houver Dam not done. So you had to go over the dam. They stop you and go inside the RV and look into the storage bays. Open the bay Marshal see's gun cases and ammo. He asks how much ammo do you have. I said 500 rounds. He said you can carry up to 1,000 over the dam, thank you sir. and he moved on.

Just now, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

On the way to Winter Range in 2008. Bridge to by-pass Houver Dam not done. So you had to go over the dam. They stop you and go inside the RV and look into the storage bays. Open the bay Marshal see's gun cases and ammo. He asks how much ammo do you have. I said 500 rounds. He said you can carry up to 1,000 over the dam, thank you sir. and he moved on.

Zero to do with a Border Check.  That has to do with terrorists carrying explosives onto the dam.  Not even remotely similar.

Just now, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Not even remotely similar.

Gee, really. I was giving an example of dealing with Federal Cops and cooperation. You know like you should do at border check points. And Border agents aren't looking for terrorists?

1 minute ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

Gee, really. I was giving an example of dealing with Federal Cops and cooperation. You know like you should do at border check points. And Border agents aren't looking for terrorists?

No they are not.  They might be looking for people that attended the January 6 riot in Washington but they damn sure aren't looking to stop anyone else.  Absolutely not the Border Patrol's fault but their hands are tied.

5 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

The first year they started checking traffic going over the dam, I was with Cimarron pulling the big trailer to Shot Show and when we got to the dam they said we would have to unpack the whole trailer.  No thanks.  Two hundred mile detour through Bullshead City!

Went through one after Bordertown.

Good guys, very polite and professional.

I told them we truly appreciated what a difficult job they do.

I don't think they hear that enough.

When you shoot down with the Dulzura Desperados in south San Diego County you have to pass through a permanent one on the way back out every time and it’s no big deal. When the new guys see you’re dressed in your cowboy gear they usually want to hear about it, the veterans of the station just wave us on through. I let them know each time what a great job they’re doing and most people really appreciate what they do. 

24 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

The first year they started checking traffic going over the dam, I was with Cimarron pulling the big trailer to Shot Show and when we got to the dam they said we would have to unpack the whole trailer.  No thanks.  Two hundred mile detour through Bullshead City!

Ohh and that drive stinks big time , but you got to pass the Coast Guard post in the middle of nowhere 

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Half the time they don't even ask any questions, just waive you through.  2 million illegals came across in 2021.  You think those checkpoints are very effective?

I was thinking that myself.  What a waste of time and resources.  Just like airport security.

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

And you and AD "complained" the whole detour!

La Sombra

1 hour ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Ohh and that drive stinks big time , but you got to pass the Coast Guard post in the middle of nowhere 

That would be Searchlight Loran. I would be surprised if it is still in operation. I thought loran has gone the way of the dodo. I was stationed on a Loran base in Hawaii back in 1979-1980. I tired to get transferred to Searchlight in 1983 but the billet was filled.

2 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Uncle Sams Confused Group!

59 minutes ago, Cholla said:

That would be Searchlight Loran. I would be surprised if it is still in operation. I thought loran has gone the way of the dodo. I was stationed on a Loran base in Hawaii back in 1979-1980. I tired to get transferred to Searchlight in 1983 but the billet was filled.

The Master Loran station was right outside Fallon NV.  USCG Station Soda Lake

Here's a picture of Soda Lake. :P

Soda Lakes

2 hours ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

I was thinking that myself.  What a waste of time and resources.  Just like airport security.

Those dogs aren't sniffing for illegal aliens. They alerted on the three percocet tablets in my luggage in the trunk. 

The BP checkpoint on Hwy 80 outside Tombstone is just a stone's throw from the Tombstone Livery. Most of the time it isn't open anymore (thanks Joe). They're nice folks, mostly looking for people stacked like cordwood in a vehicle.

6 hours ago, Cactus Clark said:

Man I hope you have a good lawyer :huh:

Lol. That was a good one Cactus!!

5 hours ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

…. They stop you and go inside the RV and look into the storage bays…..

Without a search warrant?  You gave them consent?

3 hours ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

TSA wasn’t created for security.  It was created to increase union membership.

6 hours ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

On my way to EOT.  Started in Iowa and going to Tombstone first.  I am in line at a border patrol check point with a truck full of guns.  Hope still see y'all there.  

I was in Tombstone shooting at the Livery last Saturday.  The border patrol checkpoint at the intersection of 82 & 80 was not open.   You should have no problems in Az.  Safe travels.

Buckeye Pete

1 hour ago, Go West said:

The BP checkpoint on Hwy 80 outside Tombstone is just a stone's throw from the Tombstone Livery. Most of the time it isn't open anymore (thanks Joe). They're nice folks, mostly looking for people stacked like cordwood in a vehicle.

When we were in Tombstone last October, a local resident said that check station was closed by 5PM for good on Inauguration Day.

13 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

You gave them consent?

You don’t have to give them consent, you can take the long drive around. They don’t care what you have on either side of the dam, but they are very concerned about what you might have while you are on top of the dam. 

Only thing John Wesley Hardin knows is some shyster that dresses in kid-sized clothes….don’t know if anyone would risk throwing bail for him…

We went through the BP check point in 2019 during the Border Town shoot.  The agent asked why we had all the long gun cases in the back seat of the pick-up truck.  We smiled and pointed to the sign visible from check point that advertised the shoot and range.  We all chuckled, and he waved us through.

12 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

You don’t have to give them consent, you can take the long drive around. They don’t care what you have on either side of the dam, but they are very concerned about what you might have while you are on top of the dam. 

I was asking Irish Ike.  He’s the one that posted they entered his home on wheels.

At this point this thread is kind of superfluous.  The OP posted over seven hours ago.  If he is not through the checkpoint he is on an airplane with 300 other "migrants" being flown to your hometown to be resettled.

Archived