SASS Wire Forum

Preferred front globe sight for a Sharps

Cholla

For all the long range shooters, of the dozen front inserts for the globe sight, which one is best for our sport? I think it will be used at 300-350 yards.

I think 10 is what would work best for me.

IMG_2799.JPG

I use 8 and 11 combined in my Sharps. 

Together the produce what looks like a duplex reticle in a scoped sight. Thick around the perimeter but a fine crosshair in the middle. 

Service rifle shooting and my time with Uncle Sam dictated a post front site.  Other than that, I’ve always been partial to a quality crosshair. Put it on the target and pull the trigger

20 minutes ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

10 4 or 12 depending on distance, weather and color of target and background.   Gee now I'm wanting a Dr. Pepper.

10 -2 - 4! And served hot!

How quickly they forget. :P
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

as far as sights 10-11-6

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Look up Ron Snover's  'Lollipop' inserts.

What I use.

OLG 

I tried but all I find is folks talking about his inserts but no images.

Hi Cholla,

10 is a good choice for black targets at that range.  That’s what I use for bptr competitions.  If you end up shooting at funky colored targets on poor backgrounds then you will probably need to switch out.  

Gringo

I use a front aperture like 4, 10, or 12.  I'm struggling with aging eyes, and open sights remain difficult for me.  After much reading and research, I opted to go to a larger front aperture (like #4) coupled with a Hadley-style adjustable eyecup from Lee Shaver, and that has helped me a great deal.  The adjustable eyecup/eyepiece not only lets in more light, but also helps to bring all of the focal points together.

Science tells us that the eye will focus on a circle within a circle, thus 4, 10, 12.

I prefer a crosshair and have bought complete sets just to get that one #11 with crosshairs. 

Most use the Lyman number 17 Globe Sight.  I have a variety of different brands, but when you are sighting through the center, they are all the same to me.  I also have some Lymnan #52s which are the larger diameter.   I thought these might work for low light conditions, but haven't actually used one yet.

14 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Not made by Snover, but these are available from TotW

fs-se-sl-insert_1.jpg

These are also available from TotW

fs-insert-18_1.jpg

The bottom 2 rows of the bottom card are what I'm talking about.

OLG  

Archived