SASS Wire Forum

Can't say enough about my gal.

My recovery from surgery is a 2-week period in which I'm not suppose to over-exert myself. :(

Knowing the surgery date, I took care of whatever tasks around the yard that needed done those next two weeks, so Ann wouldn't have to do them. ;)

Wouldn't you know, the day after being released from the hospital, I go up the drive to get the Sunday paper and find that some idiot drove over our mailbox! :angry:

I put it back in an upright position, but...

20220222_152525_resized.thumb.jpg.90c2d6c5b89723518fd446f125b2e4ec.jpg

20220222_152544_resized.thumb.jpg.43b85f4e026a60e97ca7fdfc621b58ac.jpg

Now we needed a new mailbox post and box.

We had the 4x4 posts, as well as a previously acquired mailbox we got for free, but the removal of the old unit and installation of the new one would fall on Ann. :(

While I was acting as forman and supervisor, Ann used the Ryobi skill saw to cut the 4x4 post to the prior length. :ph34r:

She then used the post hole digger to prepare the needed 26" deep hole. She powered her way through a layer of limestone at 18" and completed the hole. :o

While I held the new post, she filled the hole and packed the dirt. 

Off to cut the board to attach the mailbox to, which she completed with ease, and back up to the street, where she screwed the remaining board and mailbox to the post.

Voila! :D

20220222_174546_resized.thumb.jpg.66747bf861427ad5aabf7d520467ffe8.jpg

20220222_174601_resized.thumb.jpg.083ed7a8d62867d6e04b749df90234e2.jpg

Love ❤ her with all my heart and soul. :wub:

19 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Just went through a similar hiatus - out of it now.  Didn't feel that bad so remembering was the problem.  I've seen drilling pipe filled with concrete and sunk deep and 16 gauge plate welded into mailbox shape - reduces replacement issues.

Drunk took out our and the old lady that lived across the street's mailboxes once when I was a kid.  One of her sons showed up the next day with a 6 foot section of 4" steel pipe and a couple bags of concrete.  He sank the pipe about 3 feet in the ground and used most of the 2 bags of concrete filling the pipe and hole in.  He mounted the new mailbox on a piece of wood and screwed it to the flange on the top of the pipe.

About 10 years later, some redneck in a 4x4 thought it was fun to run over mailboxes.  At least, it was fun until he turned down our road.

Mrs Osbourn's mailbox was still standing after it was all over (ours, on the other hand, was laying in the middle of the yard).  It was sitting at a 45 degree angle, but it wasn't on the ground.  The beat up old K-5 had to be towed off.  The driver, got a ride- with the county sheriff's deputy that charged him for running over mailboxes for fun for the last few weeks.

The postmaster called her and told him that steel sewer pipe and concrete weren't acceptable materials for mounting a mailbox and kindly asked that it be changed.

Kit,

She did good. 

I saw a mailbox down the road from my dad's house that looked even worse last week.  The local dairy has a drop facility set up and brought in a trailer to be the offices.  Their gate entrance is pretty narrow and their mailbox ended up in the way.

It's even flatter than yours.

Mom and Dad lived in the country way back (before civilization moved in :wacko:) and sometimes kids would play "batting practice" from a moving car on their mail box. After the 3rd flattened box Dad brought home some 12" high pressure steam pipe (about 1 - 1/4" thick wall) and made his new mailbox, mounted it to a piece of 8 inch pipe buried into 2 feet plus of concrete. Then waited :P

The following Friday night they were out on the back porch and heard a "wham" from the drive and saw a car speeding away. Went to check and there was their new mailbox, unscathed, with a wooden baseball bat broken into two pieces laying on the ground!

That one must have stung a little :D.

That was in 1985 and the box is still there. Haven't seen the "players" since!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

9 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

postmaster called her and told him that steel sewer pipe and concrete weren't acceptable materials for mounting a mailbox and kindly asked that it be changed.

Was there any reason given for why it wasn't acceptable?

I used to have a mailbox mounted on an old corner post. The DOT got hold of me several times and said I couldn’t mount the mailbox to anything heavier than a 4x4. That corner post had been in the ground so long that the treated 4x4 was probably harder to shear off. Pulled the mailbox and don’t have one since it was basically a decoration. We have a PO Box in town. 

In our case…the DOT said it was too much of a danger if someone…or one of their plow trucks…hit it 

Archived