SASS Wire Forum

Ancient Roman "Swiss Army Knife"

Subdeacon Joe

https://stanflouride.com/2015/01/02/a-roman-multi-tool/amp/

Long before there were Swiss Army Knives, Leatherman multi-tools, or Boy Scout mess kit pocket knives, the Romans were fashioning them out of silver and iron:Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 10.25.09 PM Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 10.25.32 PM Screen Shot 2014-12-28 at 10.25.52 PM

This one is in the Fitzwilliam Museum at the University of Cambridge, UK.
Here is its description:

Title:

Roman “Swiss Army Knife”

Category:

tool/implement

Name: compound utensil

Date: 201  300 CE

Period: Middle Roman

Description: eating implement, folding, with three-pronged fork, spatula, pick, spike and knife.

Production
Place (legacy): Mediterranean, production, region

Materials: knife: iron; other tools: silver

Dimensionsheight: 88 mm [3.5″]   width: 155 mm [6″]

The Fitzwilliam Museum has a large online gallery:
http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk

FB_IMG_1645582388580.jpg

Description: eating implement, folding, with three-pronged fork, spatula, pick, spike and knife.

That little knife blade is for removing the rind from fruit. That thing they call a spatula? Sure looks like a spoon to me. 

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That little knife blade is for removing the rind from fruit. That thing they call a spatula? Sure looks like a spoon to me. 

So instead of making a, 'spork', the Romans made a, 'spoontula'.

The spike is a toothpick and awl, the little scoopy  thing is for cleaning your earwax. 

I have seen small Spanish gentleman's tools like this.

That is cool and took some craftsmanship

I've been examining the picture. That thing sticking out to the left must be what they are calling a spatula, and I agree that's a spoon. At the other end you got the spike, and you got the ear wax scoop :blink: And then there's that curved pointed thing.

That's the knife?

Now up at the top there is a brown rectangular thingy. What the heck is that? I thought possibly it was the knife, and they could not get the blade to unfold.

Whatever it is, it appears that some of it has corroded away.

53 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Now up at the top there is a brown rectangular thingy. What the heck is that? I thought possibly it was the knife, and they could not get the blade to unfold

That is what is left of the rusted away knife blade 

30 minutes ago, Alpo said:

So what is the little curvy pointed thing?

1849173144_screen-shot-2014-12-28-at-10-25-52-pm2.png.ebef6889ef72b27268e2318355e954fc.png

A little, curvy, pointed thing! :D

Might be for getting the meat out of crab, lobster, or snails.   Could also use it to hook meat to flip it on a griddle.

Archived