SASS Wire Forum

a new scam?

Duffield, SASS #23454

I put my aquarium setup on craig's list, with a low price for a quick sale.  

I received the following reply:

Great, I am ready for the purchase but please note that due to my very busy schedule; coming in person isn't an option at this time but I am pleased with the listed price and condition detailed in your post. My mode of payment will be via Bank Cashier's Check, payment will be sent via UPS (Next Day) courier. When the payment delivers and clears your bank, I will arrange movers for the pick-up. A $70 bonus will be included on top of your asking price to show how serious I am. Should you wish to proceed, I will be needing the Name you want written on the check, The Address (Full Residential(NO PO Box) Or Business Only) you want the payment sent to and your Cell number will be appreciated. Finally, please include your overall total (plus the $70), just so we are on the same page.

For some reason, my BS detector is going off.  Have any of you had a similar experience?

Duffield

BS.  As soon as you get that crap delete if off your computer or phone.  More and more people are shying away from Craigslist because more and more of the ads are fake.

Almost forgot to answer the question.  No it is not a new scram.  It is an old one that has been going on for several years.

YEP!!  Scam!!

Notice the generic format and no specific mention of the item.  Also people that don’t attempt to lower the price….all give aways as well as poor sentence construction and grammar.

it could be fun to give them some false info, or otherwise mess with them.  

Scammers tried this on me when I was selling a motorcycle.They actually called me direct ,no internet.My BS detector was screaming at full volume so I decided to mess with the guy.By the time he hung up,he was screaming obscenities at the phone,and must have slammed his phone down so hard it broke.

Good times!

7 minutes ago, Choctaw Jack said:

Scammers tried this on me when I was selling a motorcycle.They actually called me direct ,no internet.My BS detector was screaming at full volume so I decided to mess with the guy.By the time he hung up,he was screaming obscenities at the phone,and must have slammed his phone down so hard it broke.

Good times!

I drag it out.  Let them spend the effort and money of printing and shipping the check.  Maybe it saved someone else that the scammer didn't have time to talk with.  The scammer gets just as upset when you "haven't had time to get to the bank" and then accuses you of being the scammer.

Archived