SASS Wire Forum

I Might Be Bailing My Wife Out Of Jail Today—-Updated

Yul Lose

Knowing that I was going to EOT and wanted to do a running biography of my time at EOT my wife insisted that I go down to the Verizon store and get a new IPhone 12. Last Tuesday @ 1:00 was our appointment date and about an hour later we left with my new iPhone, exciting times, right? Getting to play with the new phone was something I was looking forward to. Well on the way home I activated it and made a couple of calls and everything was fine and then all of the service bars disappeared and the phone would not dial out. My wife wanted to get home so we didn’t take it back that afternoon but I did the next day and they determined it was a faulty SIM card. I left the store with a working iPhone 12 but after 1 call I lost all of the service bars again and the phone would not make calls.

I took it back to the store the next day and they determined it was another bad SIM card and replaced it. That evening we were out and I tried to make a call and was unable to because the service bars had disappeared again. I took it to the store on Friday and they told me that I would have to go online to My Verizon to fix the problem. I told them I wanted a new phone and they said no, not until I tried the My Verizon diagnostic route. I got home and our Wi-Fi system enables our cellular phones to work at our house and started the My Verizon ordeal.

I was getting very frustrated with the Indian guy not listening to what I was trying to tell him so my wife took over. Over Friday evening and Saturday she was on the phone with 4 different sets of technical people trying to find out what the problem is with the phone in excess of 8 hours total. Her calls were dropped 3 times and she got no call backs as they said that she would when she verified her call back number at the start of the calls. They determined finally that it was a bad SIM card and she told them that there have already been 3 different SIM cards in it and none of them lasted so it must be the phone and they assured her that the SIM card was the problem and told her to take the phone back to the Verizon store. 

I took the phone back first thing yesterday morning and the young lady that waited on me refused to do anything because I was not the person who’s name is on the account. I told them that I would just give the phone back to them and I would keep my old one and they told me that only the person whose name is on the account can do that. Well I had my old phone with me so I called my wife to tell her about it and the Verizon gal says “ she can’t just walk in, she’ll need an appointment” and I said I just walked in and you helped me without and appointment, why does she need an appointment? She’s the account holder, she says?????? My wife had answered the phone and listened to the exchange and I could tell by her voice that she was really P.Oed. I made the appointment for 1:00pm today fully expecting to go along but she told me this morning that I wasn’t coming along and I asked if she thought that was wise and I got “ well, I am the account holder”. So I’d kinda like to be a fly on the wall because I’ve been the subject of what’s coming at the Verizon store this afternoon a few times myself over the years and it ain’t going to be pretty.

She called from the store wanting my passwords and I gave them to her. According to her they put a new SIM card in and made 2 calls and then on the 3rd attempt the bars went away and the call couldn’t be made, same issue since new. She demanded they take this phone back and they told her that there would be a $179.00 restocking charge and she pretty much said BS and they took the phone back and there was no restocking fee. Why they didn’t just give us a new phone last week I’ll never know but they sure screwed up on this one. She’s shopping for new cell service now for the 5 lines on our account and 7 more out at the ranch she manages.

Verizon makes me remember the days when Microsoft and Apple were the only Evil Tech Empires fondly. 

Not only do they think that they own you once you sign up with them (and make it as hard as possible  to leave them) but they are routinely incompetent,  too.

Ahh Verizon, My account was also in wifes name (easier when deployed).  I am added on account to do whatever. Long story short wife passed away from cancer, I went to stop her account. Had to take to 3 Kumar's to tell them yes I was sure I didnt want the line , to the point of telling one SHE IS Dead i dont think I can bring her back to use the line . finally removed 

Then fought for 3 hours to put be as primary on account , Bills still come in her name ,  I gave up

9 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Verizon makes me remember the days when Microsoft and Apple were the only Evil Tech Empires fondly. 

Not only do they think that they own you once you sign up with them (and make it as hard as possible  to leave them) but they are routinely incompetent,  too.

It seems like they would want to jump through hoops to keep a customer with 5 phones on the account but they’re doing everything they can to make them leave. The logic on the needing an appointment is idiotic to me and after multiple SIM card swaps the problem still exists so that tells me it’s a faulty phone.

2 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

It seems like they would want to jump through hoops to keep a customer with 5 phones on the account but they’re doing everything they can to make them leave. The logic on the needing an appointment is idiotic to me and after multiple SIM card swaps the problem still exists so that tells me it’s a faulty phone.

They really dont seem to care and same here had 5 at the time also . I ended up telling them at one point stop one or end all 5 .

Maybe similar to my recent contacts issue. After many hours with the Indians, Sedalia. Dave sent me some links. One said to go to settings and remove my account and then put it back in. It worked? Good luck.

EH

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Maybe similar to my recent contacts issue. After many hours with the Indians, Sedalia. Dave sent me some links. One said to go to settings and remove my account and then put it back in. It worked? Good luck.

EH

Different issue.

5 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Different issue.

Yes, I realise it's different, but with all my research on my issue it seems to fix a host of issues. Mine wouldn't let me save contacts or text for more than a few moments. As suggested, I went into settings and then accounts, clicked on my account and deleted it. Added it back in and everything works now. No joy from the help desk!

4 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Iphone 12?  Yul why would you buy old tech?  As long as you were upgrading you should have considered the 13.

It’s a 3 week wait for a 13 and after this fiasco I’ll stick with the iPhone 6 that I have.

1 minute ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Yes, I realise it's different, but with all my research on my issue it seems to fix a host of issues. Mine wouldn't let me save contacts or text for more than a few moments. As suggested, I went into settings and then accounts, clicked on my account and deleted it. Added it back in and everything works now. No joy from the help desk!

Believe me, over the last 8 days we’ve tried everything multiple times.

I had a 6.  Never had a problem with it BUT the last few months several apps quit working and I kept getting notes on the phone that it was no longer upgradable for new software.  Reluctanly got a 13 at Costco.

Several years ago I went to the Verizon store for a phone upgrade. I found the whole experience frustrating, bureaucratic, and the staff next to useless. I got my phone but vowed to find another way next time.

About 3 months ago we upgraded our phones to iPhone 13 and my wife handled the entire transaction by phone. Our new phones arrived by FedUp two days later with prepaid return packaging for the old phones as the terms required the trade in. The phones returned were model 8 and 10. My wife's phone was free while I paid a $200 premium for the super deluxe model. We own the phones so there's no "rental" fee built into the contract. We're paying a few dollars more per month now because the deal required we update to the unlimited data plan. We were bumping up against going over our data cap every month, so that wasn't a big deal.

The guy we dealt with was courteous, knowledgeable, patient and extremely helpful. We were blown away by the service we got and I highly recommend others try it.

11 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Verizon

So doing business on the phone is easier than going to the store.  I have heard that before.  I have a billing issue the store cannot seem to solve.  I will call Verizon and see how that goes.

Another thing I read Yul, was to turn the airplane mode on and off  and it may reset the calling. A Google search brings up several articles. It seems to be a somewhat common issue. Good Luck.

35 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Another thing I read Yul, was to turn the airplane mode on and off  and it may reset the calling. A Google search brings up several articles. It seems to be a somewhat common issue. Good Luck.

We’ve done all that, it’s a bad phone. Spent hours and hours and hours and hours on the phone with Verizon techs all over the world and they’re stuck on the SIM card. It’ll be finished today one way or the other.

We've had Verizon for many years.  I also had the Iphone 6 and there were several apps that were not supported, forcing me to get an upgrade.  I went into the Verizon store and bought an Iphone SE.  The wife needed a new phone too so we bought two of them.  The monthly contract price was about $100 per month for both phones.  The girl behind the counter was busy pushing buttons and I was looking around the store when I saw a sign advertising the prepaid program.  Turns out the prepaid program is a much better deal as long as you don't have to finance a phone.  We now have both smart phones for $50 per month.  That is half what we were paying with a contract and there is no obligation.  They automatically bill a credit card so I don't have to remember to pay the bill.  I can dump them anytime I want because I'm not under contract.  The best of all worlds.  Check out the prepaid plan.

Well, if Mrs. Lose ends up behind bars, let me know, I'll send Mrs. Hendo down, she's not a lawyer, she just fully embraces her Scot heritage. 

It is both amazing and terrifying at the same time. Heck, she'll probably have the deputies apologizing and buying y'all lunch. :lol:

I've been using Tracphone,$99 per year with 900 minutes - text & data. I don't use it a lot,so just add minutes as needed. Just sucks that they all have foreign help desks that pretend to speak English. No offense intended.

If you go to a company owned store you get better service than a dealer. The problem is you can not tell a company owned store from a franchise without calling Verizon and checking. When my ex-wife had problems with Verizon, she went to Best Buy and they fixed everything for her and got a better deal than the Verizon store. The store here in town is a franchise and the help depends on which kid is there when I go in there. Nearest company store is 30 miles and Best buy is 60 miles. Only time I change phones or upgrade is when I don't have a choice as it becomes too obsolete to work.. Good Luck

1 minute ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

If you go to a company owned store you get better service than a dealer. The problem is you can not tell a company owned store from a franchise without calling Verizon and checking. When my ex-wife had problems with Verizon, she went to Best Buy and they fixed everything for her and got a better deal than the Verizon store. Good Luck

We’ve been dealing with a company owned store from the start. They were pretty good selling the phone but after that not so much. 

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

We’ve been dealing with a company owned store from the start. They were pretty good selling the phone but after that not so much. 

You reminded me why I left Verizon!

• Yul Lose changed the title to I Might Be Bailing My Wife Out Of Jail Today—-Updated

Updated in the O.P.

Just read your update. Good for the Missus!

We had Verizon for years, but after repeatedly encountering the same type of customer service you experienced, we dropped them like a bad habit.

We had 5 phones on the plan.  After a little shopping we landed at T-Mobile.  Their customer service is much better and we dropped our monthly bill by over $100. 

Archived