SASS Wire Forum

My MEC Died...

Griff

I bought this MEC 600 Jr. about 1974 after I got discharged, was working construction and going to college.... Needed to load to support my skeet habit.  I couldn't begin to estimate the number of Remington "Blue Magic" hulls that loader loaded!  In the mid-'80s I started cowboy shooting... and by 1987, the wife and son were shooting with me.  Even more shotshells were loaded... I was shooting BP and the family was shooting smokeless.  Fast forward to  Saturday afternoon... I'd decided to shoot a match Sunday, but didn't have any shot-shells.  Heck, the previous weekend I had to mooch half a box to finish that match!  I swear cowboy action shooters are the best folks on the planet!  Thanks Rusty!

Started loading and got about 3 rounds in, and the rammer tube wouldn't stay in position... I know that it's supposed to move, to indicate the amount of wad tension you're exerting... but this was collapsing all the way up... wouldn't even push a wad thru the fingers into the case...

Inspected the press and saw that the screw that holds the tensioner on the rammer tube was broken...   But, never fear... MEC has all the parts I need to fix it!  I ordered a few extra parts... and if the receipt from Grant Boys in Costa Mesa, CA is correct, it added up to more than the press cost new!!!!  But hey!  Still less than a new press would run...

I have a MEC 9000HN for sale if you are interested.

1 hour ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I have a MEC 9000HN for sale if you are interested.

I have a feeling that a straight trade wouldn't interest you?  ;)

9 hours ago, Griff said:

I have a feeling that a straight trade wouldn't interest you?  ;)

Sorry I am not willing to do that but it was a good try on your part. LOL.  I am selling it for $1000 + shipping.  If you want I can send you some pictures.

11 hours ago, Griff said:

I bought this MEC 600 Jr. about 1974 after I got discharged, was working construction and going to college.... Needed to load to support my skeet habit.  I couldn't begin to estimate the number of Remington "Blue Magic" hulls that loader loaded!  In the mid-'80s I started cowboy shooting... and by 1987, the wife and son were shooting with me.  Even more shotshells were loaded... I was shooting BP and the family was shooting smokeless.  Fast forward to  Saturday afternoon... I'd decided to shoot a match Sunday, but didn't have any shot-shells.  Heck, the previous weekend I had to mooch half a box to finish that match!  I swear cowboy action shooters are the best folks on the planet!  Thanks Rusty!

Started loading and got about 3 rounds in, and the rammer tube wouldn't stay in position... I know that it's supposed to move, to indicate the amount of wad tension you're exerting... but this was collapsing all the way up... wouldn't even push a wad thru the fingers into the case...

Inspected the press and saw that the screw that holds the tensioner on the rammer tube was broken...   But, never fear... MEC has all the parts I need to fix it!  I ordered a few extra parts... and if the receipt from Grant Boys in Costa Mesa, CA is correct, it added up to more than the press cost new!!!!  But hey!  Still less than a new press would run...

Grant Boys! Man, that brings back some memories. The building has been empty for years now, but it's still standing with the big logo on the front.

Where's the best place to get parts for MEC 600 Jr?  I have an old one I bought at an estate sale for $30.  It's getting to run smoother as I continue to clean and lube the parts, but the decapper pin is bent and it takes a lot of fiddling to get the shells to deprime.

8 minutes ago, Diamond Jake said:

Where's the best place to get parts for MEC 600 Jr?  I have an old one I bought at an estate sale for $30.  It's getting to run smoother as I continue to clean and lube the parts, but the decapper pin is bent and it takes a lot of fiddling to get the shells to deprime.

https://www.mecoutdoors.com/  You just need to know the approx build date.  There are 3 groups:  pre-1982; 1982-1985; and, the 600 Jr. V.  

Just Google Mec parts. There's lots of places including directly from Mec with similar prices.

2 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Sorry I am not willing to do that but it was a good try on your part. LOL.  I am selling it for $1000 + shipping.  If you want I can send you some pictures.

I'd really like to... but can't justify it right now...   Thanks for the offer.  

28 minutes ago, Diamond Jake said:

Balistics Products (BPI) has the best prices that I could find.  I don't know if they have any parts for an older press but that is where I get my parts most of the time.  BTW they are very slow shippers.

My 600jr. Is about 45 years old and I've had no trouble getting what few parts I've needed.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

@Griff , If you need to load a few before your parts arrive let me know and you can come over and use one of mine.  I'll even make you a deal for a spare of the same vintage as yours. 

Too cold... but thanks.  I actually have another 600Jr (20ga), that I've been scavenging parts off of.  My parts order includes the parts to get it back up and running also.  It's the "V" model, but many parts are interchangeable.  I'm getting ready to go back to work, so won't be needing any shot shells really soon...   Both are due for a deep clean and getting a catch pan under the 20 ga... which I'll probably convert to 12 and be able to load BP & smokeless without changing out powder bushings and bottles...  If your spare has the 12 ga dies, let me know how much you like for it.

i just ordered a 12ga die set last week direct from mec for my 600 , it was set for 28 and had 410 &, 20ga dies but the 900 was doing the 12ga , the parts arrived yesterday , im going to switch it out this week ....maybe tomorrow , ive not loaded 12ga for a couple years now as the last run of 7000 were run on my hornaday 366 before it decided to quit staying in adjustment , im finally into the last few boxes of loads when it was giving me trouble and most of they are due to be recycled with the mec , 

7 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Sounds like it wasn't mortal - just a flesh wound :)

Taking a little surgery... more'n a band-aid would cure!  

Had to go out of town for a few days (that job thing), and when I home my MEC parts had arrived!  And hour later, all installed and back running and operating like... well maybe not new... but sure better'n before!

20220303_124746.thumb.jpg.20f10d48c05ce226797bc9ebb49d4346.jpg

20220303_124753.thumb.jpg.15612e15dbe9e3399a7bc990a36dc999.jpg

20220303_131540.thumb.jpg.4056f4d0cdbfeddb1355b093d5315a24.jpg

On 2/21/2022 at 6:39 PM, Griff said:

I ordered a few extra parts... and if the receipt from Grant Boys in Costa Mesa, CA is correct, it added up to more than the press cost new!!!!  But hey!  Still less than a new press would run...

Grant Boys! There is a blast from my past! Hit the surf in the morning, then stop at Grant Boys on the way home to pick up reloading supplies and camping gear. 

On 3/3/2022 at 1:57 PM, Griff said:

Had to go out of town for a few days (that job thing), and when I home my MEC parts had arrived!  And hour later, all installed and back running and operating like... well maybe not new... but sure better'n before!

20220303_124746.thumb.jpg.20f10d48c05ce226797bc9ebb49d4346.jpg

20220303_124753.thumb.jpg.15612e15dbe9e3399a7bc990a36dc999.jpg

20220303_131540.thumb.jpg.4056f4d0cdbfeddb1355b093d5315a24.jpg

Drop your crimp starter down about 2 turns.  :)

I only load shotgun for cowboy shoots. 100 a month at the most (that's like 4 shoots) I have a LEE Load All II, It's a little slow but it works great! It was less than $100 and I've been using it for two years now since my Mec broke down.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013166090/

17 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Drop your crimp starter down about 2 turns.  :)

What will that do for me?  The only thing I've ever adjusted on this is the sizer ring on the decapper.

10 hours ago, Griff said:

What will that do for me?  The only thing I've ever adjusted on this is the sizer ring on the decapper.

Give you a better, tighter crimp.

Archived