SASS Wire Forum

Which powder of this limited selection?

portugeejn

Doing some reloading for the first time since everything went crazy. A few primers left and a limited selection of powder. I am loading some 45 Colt 255 grain LSWC bullets & have some Red Dot, Blue Dot, & Bullseye.  

Which one should I start with?  (I’ve pretty much done black powder in the past so I don’t have much experience with these smokeless powders, but it’s what I have.) Suggestions?  Thanks. 

If you have load data for Red Dot and Bullseye for that bullet and weight, EITHER powder will serve you well for SASS.

I can't speak for Blue Dot in SASS type shooting, but I can vouch for its great performance in some warm loads with 10mm and similar

performance cartridges.

..........Widder

Red Dot would be first choice, Bullseye second.  Both will make EXCELLENT cowboy loads in most pistol cartridges, even .45 Colt.

Bullets are easy to come by - I'd keep looking for some 200 grain bullets, which will load lighter and recoil less. 

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Red Dot would be first choice, Bullseye second.  Both will make EXCELLENT cowboy loads in most pistol cartridges, even .45 Colt.

Bullets are easy to come by - I'd keep looking for some 200 grain bullets, which will load lighter and recoil less. 

good luck, GJ

I actually do have some 200 grain LRN, but I have 50 255 grain LSWC that I have had forever that I want to use up. 

Thanks all for your suggestions!

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

good luck, GJ

This ↑↑↑↑

I actually thought I had some Unique, as I always used it in my 44-40 when shooting smokeless. 6.5 grains of Unique was the “magic” load that seemed to work in most anything. Alas, it was all gone.  

On 2/21/2022 at 4:37 PM, Fill Yer Hand said:

I shoot red dot in everything and it works great for me.

me too , when i run out if i cant find it i have clays - it loads everything for me 45colt , 38spcl , 12ga ...........and i was told there was a 4570 load for cast bullets that im researching , 

45-70 load with Red Dot?  Yeah, can be done if you stay real light.

I've worked on light cast bullet loads this year - in 45-70, a 300 grain slug and 19.0 grains 2400 sure works nice.  Best out of about 8 powders and five bullet weights.

good luck, GJ

3 hours ago, Bull Skinner said:

I load 5 grains of Red Dot in 44-40 and 45 Colt with a 200 grain Bullet.

I will try that the next time I load some 44-40. 

whatever you choose, I found it's pretty easy to get a squib if you try to down load too much with 45 Colt, large case capacity and few grains of powder.  My first gun was a rossi circuit judge before I saw the light and became a .357 magnum man.  that Rossi taught me a lot about what not to do with reloading and trying to make a logistics plan for times of component shortages.  

Archived