SASS Wire Forum

Single Barrel Shotguns with a squib

Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L

while taking the RO II refresher course  yesterday I ran across this on page 8, under SQUIBS:

. . . A single-barrel shotgun shooter is allowed to clear a suspected squib from the barrel on the clock in order to make it safe and complete the stage- PROVIDED that both the shooter and the Timer Operator visually verify and confirm that the shotgun has a cleared barrel in order to safely continue using the shotgun.

which begs the question:  "How?" 

Do you bring a ramrod with you "just in case?"

clear it from the muzzle?--notice it says single barrel and not single shot.  Hard to not use the muzzle doing this with a 97

drop a pistol cartridge down it and shake like mad?

Not trying to be a smart aleck, just wonder what to allow when running the timer

Fill the bottom of a 45-70 with lead shot, top with a 405 grain bullet, and keep that on your gun belt loop.  Tossing that down the barrel should clear out a stuck wad in a shotgun.  

2 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

Fill the bottom of a 45-70 with lead shot, top with a 405 grain bullet, and keep that on your gun belt loop.  Tossing that down the barrel should clear out a stuck wad in a shotgun.  

This^^^

One thing to remember is that once you drop it down the barrel, close the action before giving the gun a shake. This will protect the extractors/ejectors from damage.

2 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I don't know what to think about a shooter who is has so little confidence in his shotshells that he brings a ramrod or wad knocker to every stage.  :unsure:

I have lots of confidence in my reloads but crap happens. Lots of shooters carry screw knives in their belt just in case

Just like a screw knife, I would rather have a heavy weight I can drop down the barrel of my 87 in my belt and never need it than to need it and not have it.

Nice thing about the weight is that as long as you maintain muzzle control, it can be used to remove a hull that will not extract as well.

Directly to the point, for a visual confirmation on a 97, either a rod or a knocker or a cartridge dropped through from the breech would be sufficient if I were the TO.

Even rarer than carrying a rod would be the carrying of a mirror or strong flash light with which to inspect the barrel.  And slower too.

Good luck, GJ

I carry a piece of 3/8 brass rod about 3” long in my long range Bullet box for the rare case that won’t extract from my sharps. Just drop it down the muzzle. 
I think a similar piece in your belly would likely clear most wads   (From breach end)

23 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

That's what I do

i carry a rod on my cart but i cant say ill ever carry on a stage - i trust my loads even the ones that have been a problem over the years can be explained and ive yet to have an obstruction to the barrel - i have had a wad just clear once and a bad primer or two , 

i like that wadd knocker , i may have to get one of those , but then ive never needed one in all these years , ive only used the rod on one of my rifle barrels - its always been someone elses when it left the cart , id leave it off but it weighs near nothing and my cart would look naked without that and the brass picking gizzmos , those i use every match some , ........oh and that umbrella ive only used once - but that day it saved all my gear from the rain so it stays , 

The 38-55 case filled with shot and a bullet crimped in will also work just fine. 

This is one reason I like shooting my 1887, real easy to check for obstructions. That being said, I’ve only had a stuck wad when hunting using a32” barrel. The 20” tubes on my Cowboy shotguns have had the wads come out, even on some REALLY anemic sounding shells.

I still have a variety of knockout rods/tools with me though (Be Prepared).

Archived