SASS Wire Forum

Just sad today

Doc Shapiro

My shooting days may be completely over.  I have a variation of an "essential tremor" in my hands.  They shake like a leaf in a high wind, and it gets worse when they are being used (like in shooting).  I've tried a few different treatments, and the side effects make them untenable.  Doc said that there really isn't anything that can be done.  I think I may go see an neurologist next.  The sad truth is that I can't hold a gun safely any longer.

I can still teach.  I can hang out with my friends and swap stories and lies, and make new friends.  But shooting is iffy at best.

Doc,

I am sorry to hear your news. I don't know you except from your posts here, but share some problems. If you want to talk about how to come back from essential tremor or even Parkinson disease, pm me. No promises, but one man's journey. I am talking not just shooting safely but quality of life.

Sincerely,

Shakes

Doc,

I hope you find a solution to your ailment, they are constantly developing new medications and treatments for all sorts of things.  I hope you can find something that works for you.

Sending Prayers your way,

Dogmeat

The above advice to keep looking and checking out doctors is great! You can't get 2 doctors to agree 100% on everything. There's a doc out there that can help you I'm sure.

My good buddy has gone through 4 different doctors for heart ailments, open heart surgery etc. He's finally found a doc that disagreed with the other 3 and he's now doing fine. Medications were changed and he's feeling great!

Prayers up and hope for some relief in what you're going through!

Rye

Keep looking for the right medical advice and the right medical treatment. I have personal testimony to the successes that Mayo Clinic can bring. (Not related to what you're suffering, but no doctor in my entire city knew a thing about what I was going through but Mayo was brilliant.) Give them a call. All my best to you, Doc.

Dang DOC, that's not only sad news for your shooting, but that kinda stuff effects everything in your life.   I hate to hear of your

situation and Prayerfully hope that 'something' may be able to treat it.  You've been a great Pard to many of us on the Wire

and a good friend to me.

Information that you've shared thru the years has been a gemstone to many in the shooting world, especially us SASS Pards.

Thank you for all your help and the efforts you made to make this earth a better place for many of us.

If I can ever be of help to you, don't hesitate to holler.

..........Widder

Doc, new things are popping up everyday. I've been fighting for years... I have an appointment at the Mayo Clinic later this week for a screening to possibly get into a trial program... what the heck... got nothing to loose so why not give it a try. If you haven't already done so, look around the internet and see if any of the Major facilities have any test/trail programs going that might offer you some help. I would start with Stanford and the Mayo clinic. I truly wish you the best.

Doug

Yo Doc thoughts & prayers out for yah pilgrim. Take care & God bless you & yours.

This runs in my family. My father was diagnosed at 45 years old. He did meds and then was referred to a gentleman at KU med Center in Kansas City. 
He could not even write or hold silver ware to eat. 
They installed a deep brain stimulator. 
He now has no signs of tremors. 
He is 73 now. It can be turned on and off. 
PM me if you would like some more info on the doctor. 
prayers up

Doc, keep looking for other doctors. Early in 2020, I finally had tests ran for my shakes and was diagnosed with Parkinson's. I was almost ready to step away from the sport when they got a good combo of meds, and now my tremors are manageable unless I get tired. Now I don't shoot nearly the number of matches that I used to because sometimes it takes a lot out of me, but I still play cowboy some (and when I can't, I can at least go to a local lake and drown some worms where a shaking line is sometimes helpful :) ).

Sorry to hear of your problems Doc, please remember us here and check in from time to time.

7 minutes ago, StirrupTrouble said:

Doc, keep looking for other doctors. Early in 2020, I finally had tests ran for my shakes and was diagnosed with Parkinson's. I was almost ready to step away from the sport when they got a good combo of meds, and now my tremors are manageable unless I get tired. Now I don't shoot nearly the number of matches that I used to because sometimes it takes a lot out of me, but I still play cowboy some (and when I can't, I can at least go to a local lake and drown some worms where a shaking line is sometimes helpful :) ).

I can still play bass.  I joined a local band a couple of months ago and am learning the material.  First gig is coming up in a few weeks.  I'm looking forward to that!

11 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I can still teach.  I can hang out with my friends and swap stories and lies, and make new friends.  But shooting is iffy at best.

Heck Doc you have the best part to continue on with.  You certainly can be entertained and stay with teaching of which you do so well. (Hey remember when we did seminars at Conventions.  Fun times.)

Hope things ease up some. 

God is good.

Doc!!  I hate to hear this!  Don’t stop looking and don’t ever give up!!

As you said!  You can STILL help others and I know you have a lot to offer!

There are many of us who value your friendship and your experience and all of us are in your corner!!

Our prayers are with you!

Doc, very sorry to hear that your problem has reached this point. As others have said they may eventually find a solution.

It's amazing that you can play the bass with the condition. I wonder if it's similar to someone who stutters when they speak but doesn't when they sing?

Best of luck to you!

3 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Keep looking for the right medical advice and the right medical treatment. I have personal testimony to the successes that Mayo Clinic can bring. (Not related to what you're suffering, but no doctor in my entire city knew a thing about what I was going through but Mayo was brilliant.) Give them a call. All my best to you, Doc.

Same thing happened with my father , then when my mom had problems they went to Mayo in Mn , can’t say enough good things about that place .

Cancer treatment centers of America in Ill helped my father in law allot 

Really hate to hear that. I must admit that there's a fear in the back of my mind that one of my regular pains/etc. will suddenly make it so I can't shoot one day. Scary indeed.

I wouldn't give up yet. You might have better luck searching around for other doctors. There's always something new that comes out which might help this, that, or the other thing. You might even want to look outside of your state.

Hope you can get it sorted and find a way to continue enjoying what you do. 

Hey DOC, one other thing to check out.

Make sure some other medicine that you might be taking isn't causing that side effect.

My wife (MS for 40+ years) was prescribed some medicine a few years back that worked well for MS symptoms..... but it started causing

her depression issues, etc.    Sooooooooo, the neurologist had to change some medicine and also prescribe a certain medicine to 

rid her of depression issues.   All is MUCH better after that.

..........Widder

Hi Doc,

sorry to hear that the shaking hasn’t improved any.  Last time I saw you I remember you just ran the timer and didn’t shoot.  I always enjoy your company, stories, and tips that you share with me.  I sincerely hope your able to continue running your club and be a mentor to others as well.

Morgun

Hey Doc, sorry to hear that.  I've shot with you a couple of times and also bought your book "Breaking the Shot".  I hope a neurologist can help you out and make things a little better.  Take care.

Sorry to hear that it has gotten so Bad !

Prayers are going up for you from North of the Medicine Line .

God Bless 

Jabez Cowboy

5 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Hey DOC, one other thing to check out.

Make sure some other medicine that you might be taking isn't causing that side effect.

My wife (MS for 40+ years) was prescribed some medicine a few years back that worked well for MS symptoms..... but it started causing

her depression issues, etc.    Sooooooooo, the neurologist had to change some medicine and also prescribe a certain medicine to 

rid her of depression issues.   All is MUCH better after that.

..........Widder

I'm not currently on any meds.  So that isn't it.

For what it may or may not be worth.  A friend has been dealing with that for some years now.  Lately he has started wearing weighted wrist cuffs and that simple thing has really helped him.  Hasn't eliminated the problem, but has made everything much more controllable.  Good luck and may the shooting gods smile upon your efforts.

Prayers heading up for you Doc. Hopefully the neurologist can shed some light.

sorry to hear this , i know someone that was suffering from this that had two brain surgeries to implant a stimulator that has helped him a lot , his was to the point that he couldnt pick up a glass of liquid without it slopping out all over , not in anyway suggesting this to be a good idea for you , simply telling you of someone dear to me that was helped by it , im still not sure ill go shooting with him tho , 

good luck and prayers to you when you see the neurologist 

Archived