SASS Wire Forum

I Wonder

Subdeacon Joe

I wonder if you folks should sell the Ukraine a squadron or two of those WARTHOGS!

3 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

We’re not building any new ones.

OK, Good. 

They're not only used, but, like the Edsel, they're now orphans!!!

Two for one sale?????

I wonder what a Wing of those birds would do to the balance of power in the area.

23 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

OK, Good. 

Two for one sale?????

I wonder what a Wing of those birds would do to the balance of power in the area.

Don't give the Air Force fighter mafia any ideas.

They've been trying to get rid of the A-10 since the end of the Cold War. 

If it doesn't do Mach 2 and dogfight, they don't see the need for it- and that's why they have assigned 'ground support' duties to planes like the F16 and F35 (yeah, they want to put a billion dollar aircraft on ground support missions) two or three times.  Congress keeps saving it- not the Air Force.

These are the same ones that haven't even attempted to develop a replacement, too.  The US has no next generation dedicated ground support aircraft in the pipeline.  The closest the Air Force has came is dabbling with Light Attack aircraft like the AT-6 Wolverine or the A-29 Super Tucano.  The A-29 is exactly half a Skyraider (which has been out of service for over 50 years and was antiquated then)- half the hard points, half the lift capacity, so it would be like taking a step backwards and tying your shoe laces together so you can only make half a stride after you do it.

Then again, they don't need any suggestions to screw things up.  Their progenitors were the ones that decided that missiles where the greatest thing in the universe, so they didn't put a gun in the the Phantom.

Note that those things are called 'missiles', not 'hittles'.  And there's a reason for that.  Too bad they didn't consider it.

18 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

OK, Good. 

Two for one sale?????

I don't think there is a better close air support aircraft out there than the A-10, but when facing modern adversaries it needs air cover to eliminate enemy fighters and electronic warfare aircraft to jam and destroy the surface to air missiles sites to be effective.

40 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I don't think there is a better close air support aircraft out there than the A-10, but when facing modern adversaries it needs air cover to eliminate enemy fighters and electronic warfare aircraft to jam and destroy the surface to air missiles sites to be effective.

Agreed and unless NATO becomes involved, Russia will most likely have air superiority.

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

... no more A-10s ?   :o

.................... I see a resurgence of Rosey the Rocketer to fill the gap ......  ;)

They’re not dead yet. I bet the Ukrainians wish they had some.

32 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They’re not dead yet. I bet the Ukrainians wish they had some.

Well, they were designed to make the Russians- particularly their tankers- pay for coming through the Fulda Gap, I can see why.  Throw in some Apaches playing hide and seek behind the hills and trees and life for a tank column could be made rather miserable- and short.

There is a bunch of everything in the arsenal and out of circulation sitting in the high desert outside Tuscan at Davis Monthan Air Base just waiting to be rebuild. We could use some F4’s back in the air too! But he’ll, they are mothballing planes that they’re buying new to keep feeding the Military Industrial Complex Ike warned if of. 

Archived