SASS Wire Forum

Which Western Movie star...

Rip Snorter

#1. Tom Selleck and shoot some of his guns with him!

#2. The Duke , just because he’s the Duke!!

#1 living:  Buck Taylor.  I like him and his art work and his father Dub.

#2 passed on:  Guinn “Big Boy” Williams.  His father and my grandmother were classmates in Texas in the 1880s.  The stories about his parties in Hollywood are legend.  (He played Ed McBain in The Comancheros).

6DD0A7E2-3737-4568-B56F-DF708B6E18B9.thumb.jpeg.d344300dc733e5794bcb4837ac6e7da4.jpeg13DB2DFF-E18A-4463-8457-94AD588B1517.thumb.jpeg.d0e4cd213726ee79e75e2bebcf03c772.jpeg

I have been Lucky, I spent couple hours with Buck Taylor one year in Branson, Mo at Silver Dollar City  when they were having a Western Festival at the same time as a Cowboy shoot.  I had just got done shooting and went to get a ticket and they wave me thru thinking I was part of the performers. I told them I was not and went to pay for a ticket and explaining what I had been doing, and then they let me in free anyhow. One of the few times I could have been wearing my guns and nobody would have said anything. I talked to him about SASS and I remember getting my picture taken with him by some people and they wanted me in the picture as I was there my cowboy clothes. Most people thought I was part of the performers for the festival. I hung out and talked with people while they waited their turn to talk to him. It was fun.

I met him again a couple years later somewhere that he had his artwork and spent some time talking with him.

He remembered me from the first time I had met him. If I have picture with him, my ex-wife probably has it.

Wow! Hard question to answer. 

I met Buck Taylor at EOT back in the early 2000’s. Nice guy. I didn’t take up much of his time as he was a “VIP” and Chiseler and his minions were in a hurry for him to be somewhere. 

#1. Tom Selleck

#2. Randolph Scott. Whatever happened to Randolph Scott? :D

Well, read up on Tom Mix, I think he'd be my deceased guy, or William S. Hart they were closer to the Day.  Live guys would be hard.  Tom, Kurt, Sam, of course Clint.  Luck of the draw as to which would have the nicest private persona..

Wow. That is a challenging one, on both sides of the coin.

I would have to opt for Jimmy Stewart as well, for reasons already mentioned.

Living, I'll go with Robert Duvall, although he is getting up there in years.

On 2/21/2022 at 7:34 PM, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Slim Pickens, seems like he'd be a lot of fun.

I met him several times at a charity telethon. He was a gas. Just like he was one camera. He'd sit backstage and tell dirty jokes and tales about his horses and laugh just like a fool.

JHC

To the original question, tough call. I'd have to say The Duke. Always my hero. I was actually named after him. Sorta. My folks were afraid I'd get teased if I was named John Wayne so the tweaked it. I am Don Wayne, go by Wayne.

JHC

ive always thought i would like to sit and tip one with john wayne , he would be my first choice but after watchin the Cheyenne social club again id like to sit round a campfire with henry fonda and jimmy stewart , i have liked them for all my life even tho fondas offspring proved to be less than agreeable and even unacceptable in one case , 

i did not realize that stewarts stepson was killed in VN , he was a WWII vet and i guess i never knew of his family situations , i never would have known of fondas family situations if his daughter had not become a traitor - i will never forgive hanoi jane as long as i live 

Living - Robert Duvall (I can drive to see him, as he lives about 1.5hr from here). Now all I need is an invitation.

Dead - Gary Cooper

Archived