SASS Wire Forum

Rossi 92 jacking out live rounds

ZigMar

I've got a Rossi 92 in .45 Colt that has taken to jacking out a live round along with the spent cartridge.  I think it happed 4 or 5 times during today's shoot.  I can fell it most times when it happens and just get prepared to load one at the end of the string.  I'm planning to bite the bullet (so to speak) and take it apart for a good deep cleaning.

Any other recommendations or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edit to add: The gun is relatively new; a couple of years old, at the most.  It has not be "slicked up" other than I replaced the plastic follower in the tube / mag with a metal one.

One more thing:  This is a recent symptom.  It didn't do this right out of the box and I've yet to do a detailed strip and deep cleaning on the gun although I do clean it as best I can without taking it all apart after every match.  Too much of a PIA to take a lever apart after every shoot, IMO, but other's opinions may vary.

Twenty years ago my Navy Arms (upgraded Rossi) in .45 Colt did the same thing, although usually only about once per match.  My ammo was standard length, so not that.  What I did was buy a yellowboy.  I know that doesn't help you, but the problem is not uncommon.

Zigmar sending you a pm. Have good info for you to fix this. Just takes a shim on right guide.

JRJ

My several Rossi 92s in the beginning were picky on overall length.

My 38/357 stopped tossing rounds at 1.58" to 1.60". I loaded to 1.58".

My 45 stopped tossing rounds when I started loading to the length of 1.58" as well.

In my 38/57 rifles, I did add a shim on one side which the rising round would hit and cause the round to move sideways staying on the lifter.

Cartridge stop that keeps rounds in the magazine could be gunked up. (It’s on the left side.) I found keeping that clean critical as it will stick without special attention.  That little spring tab has to move freely to operate properly. The .45 can be a really dirty cartridge, depending on loading.

Highly recommend investing in Nate’s video at stevesgunz.com. 

Nate Kiowa Jones is the Rossi 92 expert. He sells an excellent video on slicking up a R-92. The 38/357 is usually the most problematic but your 45 colt will benefit from doing his well presented DIY action job.

His DVD shows the best way to disassemble and reassembly a 92. The videos I have seen on the internet make it way harder than it needs to be.

In addition to ordering his DVD buy one of his ejector springs. This will stop the rifle from causing the mouth of your cases to deform. 

The best thing is NKJ is glad to help you troubleshoot over the phone. If you are stuck give him a call.

Steve's Gunz

BTW my main match rifle for SASS is an R-92. Been shooting one for over 6 years. During that time frame I have owned and slicked up a total of 5 R-92s. All run flawlessly.

7 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Zigmar sending you a pm. Have good info for you to fix this. Just takes a shim on right guide.

JRJ

THIS ↑↑↑↑↑↑  A lite polishing on the left guide will also help reduce the snap of the carrier overcoming the detent ball.  Make careful note how the spring on the cartridge stop sits...   Don't ask me how I know this!

Tune-up tips and slicking up a Rossi 1892 from Marauder's website.  Rossi Tune up.  And instructions on shimming the right side guide:  1892 Guide Adjustment.  Good luck, your Rossi will feel like a whole different gun.

16 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Twenty years ago my Navy Arms (upgraded Rossi) in .45 Colt did the same thing, although usually only about once per match.  My ammo was standard length, so not that.  What I did was buy a yellowboy.  I know that doesn't help you, but the problem is not uncommon.

Mine did the same thing or they would stove pipe.  I bought a 66 during lunch at a three-day shoot, problem solved.

Later, I heard of Steve Gunz and his fix, but my rifle was already in the safe.

Thanks all.  Much appreciated.  I just did a disassembly, deep clean... man was it filthy... and reassembly on my Rossi 92.  Fingers crossed that it will behave for a while.

I think that I "might" need to replace the right cartridge guide, but we'll see how the gun runs before I worry more about that.  But I checked Numrich and Steve's Guns and no joy.  Any ideas?

Yo ZigMar its in your hands now pilgrim. Good Luck. Just read the news I sent you & you'll be ok.

1 hour ago, ZigMar said:

Thanks all.  Much appreciated.  I just did a disassembly, deep clean... man was it filthy... and reassembly on my Rossi 92.  Fingers crossed that it will behave for a while.

I think that I "might" need to replace the right cartridge guide, but we'll see how the gun runs before I worry more about that.  But I checked Numrich and Steve's Guns and no joy.  Any ideas?

What makes you think you need to replace the right cartridge guide?

2 hours ago, ZigMar said:

If the issue continues, place a .005 metal shim between the right side guide and the receiver. 

OLG 

You can try calling Rossi and see if you can talk them into sending you one. Rossi's have a lifetime warranty but 99% of the time they will not send you the parts but make you send them the rifle.

In the US, M&M Gunsmithing is the Rossi authorized service center. If they have the part they'll sell it to you.

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

At the mounting screw hole?

Can you post a picture of this? 

OLG 

OLG

Yes, at the mounting screw hole.

Sorry, I didn't think to take a picture before I put the gun all back together, but I will the next time I take it all apart.

I wonder if it's been that way since I bought the rifle or if it is a new occurrence and the cause of the issue.

Once I got the rifle all back together, I did a function check with some snap caps and it didn't spit two out when cycling both slow and fast.  I'll admit it though, I didn't do this but a few times as after fiddling with all those parts and screws, cleaning and getting the gun back together, I was ready to hit it with some lube and put it back in the safe and have a beverage.  Got a BAMM and Cowboy Three Rifle match coming up this weekend (26 Feb) at RRV where I'll give it a try... unless I decide to shoot my Win94 instead and let the Rossi rest for a bit.

Thanks again everyone. 

14 hours ago, John Boy said:

Need a new cartridge stop …

JB

Cartridge stop / left side guide seemed to be "okay", just a lot of gunk that needed to be cleaned out.  Also, the spring that activates it seemed lite, but it's all I had so it went back in.  We'll see if / how the gun runs next time I give it a try.  Right now, it's cleaned up good, all back together, lubed and back in the safe resting until next time.  :)

Thanks for the input.  I'll keep it in mind.

PLUS ONE for Jackrabbit Joe.  After you replace the Right Side Cartridge Guide, Inspect (of course) and then shim the guide so it just "kisses" the cartridge.  

Buy Nate Kiowa Jones DVD.  Worth every penny

4 hours ago, ZigMar said:

JB

Cartridge stop / left side guide seemed to be "okay", just a lot of gunk that needed to be cleaned out.  Also, the spring that activates it seemed lite, but it's all I had so it went back in.  We'll see if / how the gun runs next time I give it a try.  Right now, it's cleaned up good, all back together, lubed and back in the safe resting until next time.  :)

Thanks for the input.  I'll keep it in mind.

Make sure the the spring for the cartridge stop is installed correctly.  When correctly installed, the tip of the spring will be under the cartridge stop and the end with the hole in it will curve away from the cartridge guide. If both ends are touching the cartridge guide and the middle of the spring is not then the spring is in backwards.

Tried to find a picture but so far I've had no luck.

• 2 months later...

99 All,

Quick update... I finally got around to doing some major surgery on my Rossi 92 in .45 Colt.  I acquired a replacement right side cartridge guide.  I was able to get the old right side cartridge guide out with out a major disassembly, but couldn't get the new cartridge guide installed.  So I took the rifle apart down to parade rest.  The new cartridge guide took some fitting (width reduction) to fit in the slot, but nothing some 800 grit sandpaper didn't take care of quickly.  I fashioned a 0.003" shim out of brass to go behind the new cartridge guide and reassembled the rifle.  It would not cycle dummy rounds (same as what I shoot in a match, but just a bullet seated in brass without any powder or primer) without being a real case-crusher; which Rossi's are known for, but this rifle was not, right out of the box, I lucked out.  At this point, the rifle was disassembled again, the new right side cartridge guide removed along with the a for mentioned shim.  New cartridge guide reinstalled and rifle reassembled.  No joy.  Maybe slightly better, but no-go.  So, again, rifle is disassembled.  New cartridge guide removed.  Old (cracked) cartridge guide reinstalled along with the shim I had fashioned and again reassembled the rifle.  Cycles fine with dummy rounds.  Will see what happens during the next live fire exercise... aka, next match.  :unsure:

Looking at the new cartridge guide, it looks like it needs more fitting in the area where the rim slides, but it was more then what I wanted to tackle today.

Before you add a shim, you need to measure the gap between guides and a cartridge. If it is excessive, only then do you need to add a shim. Understand you should have a minimum clearance of a few thousandths. Put the new guide back in without the shim and try it.

1 hour ago, Go West said:

Before you add a shim, you need to measure the gap between guides and a cartridge. If it is excessive, only then do you need to add a shim. Understand you should have a minimum clearance of a few thousandths. Put the new guide back in without the shim and try it.

GW,

Thanks, but I tried that... the new guide with and without a shim and it turned the rifle into a case-crusher, failure to feed.  I don't think it's so much the dimensions of the new guide as it is the orientation of the slot in it for the case rim.  Hard to explain.  So that's why I went back to the old guide with a shim.  I'll see how that runs while I contemplate "Plan C".

58 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Take a pair of calipers and compare dimensions between the old and new cartridge guides.

Tried that.  No joy.  Thanks.

I had a 92 in 38 that had mis-matched cartridge guide slots. Only solution was to send it back to Rossi for warranty repair. The ended up replacing the rifle with a new one. 

Archived