Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Trouble with Dillon 550


Back 40 #23910 L

Recommended Posts

I've been loading 4.2 gr of Titegroup in a 230 gr .45 ACP.  It started throwing inconsistent powder charges.  Took it all apart and nothing blocking powder flow.   Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm pretty new at 550's, but be sure that little white square plastic piece that pushes the powder bar back and forth is seated in the slot in the powder bar.  If the main screw on the bell crank gets loose that piece can slip out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I'm pretty new at 550's, but be sure that little white square plastic piece that pushes the powder bar back and forth is seated in the slot in the powder bar.  If the main screw on the bell crank gets loose that piece can slip out.

 

 

Or break.  Always keep a couple of spares.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the plastic nut at the bottom of the return rod come loose one time. As you use it ...it seems to loosen up some on its own. I now regularly check it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Small measure bar, not the large one. That's what is needed for small (about 3-4 grain) powder drops.

 

The 2 screws/bolts attaching the drop linkage to the measure body get loose and cause very inconsistent drops.

 

Titegroup powder has been known in my own experience to clump tightly if it is left in the measure for more than about 24 hours.   One clump had to be broken up by jabbing the lump with a pencil (eraser) end - it was THAT consolidated. I switched off TG to WST to prevent that happening to me.  And quit leaving TG in a measure.

 

good luck, GJ

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In addition to all the above make sure the inside of the belling die isn't corroded. You can clean it with a brass brush.

 

Does your powder measure use springs to return the powder bar or does it have the metal linkage attached to the ram?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Make sure the lock nut on the measure base is secure and is allowing a full stroke of the measure.  Nothing is as frustrating as to learn that you're not moving the linkage enough for the powder bar to move fully back and forth.  Keep the ring holding the measure to the die tightened.  If the measure rocks, instead of moving up and down, you're reducing the amount of travel the bar can make.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Small measure bar, not the large one. That's what is needed for small (about 3-4 grain) powder drops.

 

The 2 screws/bolts attaching the drop linkage to the measure body get loose and cause very inconsistent drops.

 

Titegroup powder has been known in my own experience to clump tightly if it is left in the measure for more than about 24 hours.   One clump had to be broken up by jabbing the lump with a pencil (eraser) end - it was THAT consolidated. I switched off TG to WST to prevent that happening to me.  And quit leaving TG in a measure.

 

good luck, GJ

 

 

Good advice here. I have never had powder clumping with any powder but when I started reloading long ago my mentor told me to never leave powder in a measure any longer than needed to finish a reloading session. Among other things it can also discolor the plastic measure body making it impossible to see through. Simply reloading a lot will eventually do that as well.

I tend to think since there is a relatively new thing, and inconsistent, that something has worked loose as described above. You might also check the white plastic bushing that the powder drop tube moves through as it can wear to one side or the other, or even fall out depending on how you empty your measure.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Everyone      I'm going to tear into it this afternoon.   Still need to load for EOT Wild Bunch.  Got allot to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Good advice here. I have never had powder clumping with any powder but when I started reloading long ago my mentor told me to never leave powder in a measure any longer than needed to finish a reloading session. Among other things it can also discolor the plastic measure body making it impossible to see through. Simply reloading a lot will eventually do that as well.

I tend to think since there is a relatively new thing, and inconsistent, that something has worked loose as described above. You might also check the white plastic bushing that the powder drop tube moves through as it can wear to one side or the other, or even fall out depending on how you empty your measure.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

 

WRT the plastic bushing, that was an update to the original Dillon powder measure, the one with return springs. The newest version has the revised linkage.

 

 1204319504_Measureparts.jpg.46d6fc71408a10cc01d8cd573a3fdecc.jpg

 

582986207_DillonMeasures.thumb.jpg.486bbaef2442652da42310dbd3ee9520.jpg

 

With the finer powders I find that the powder does take a bit more time to drop, and sometimes the powder will cling to the tube. I wipe the inner workings with isopropyl to remove any fouling. All of the sliding bar measures have issues with very fine powder, but IMHO the Dillon is the best of the sliding bar measures. 

 

BB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Back 40 #23910 L said:

Thanks Everyone      I'm going to tear into it this afternoon.   Still need to load for EOT Wild Bunch.  Got allot to do.

Don't leave powder in the measure when not loading. 

Take humidity readings in your loading room. 

OLG 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Back 40 #23910 L said:

Thanks Everyone      I'm going to tear into it this afternoon.   Still need to load for EOT Wild Bunch.  Got allot to do.

 

While you're at it, polish the inside of the base.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back 40…are you procrastinating again?? Better get Stuffer over there to try to straighten you out…again 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.