SASS Wire Forum

Hendo

With all of my super technical expertise I have not been able to get the search function or poople to give me the answer I seek.

I shoot Duelist and my main match pistols are Cimarron Model P's. Over the past year I have picked up two Ruger NMV's and installed modified Super Blackhawk hammers. (I narrowed the thumb pad to the spur width.) Obviously there are differences between the Ubertis and the Rugers. My original intention was to have the Rugers as backups, and I really do like the lowered hammers, but we'll see. 

So the question is, Can I heat and bend the Uberti spurs down? Does this have to be a cut and weld deal? If so, who does it? I had seen that somebody (can't remember who) cut and welded SBH hammers on to Italian hammers, but I don't want that wide of a hammer.

I'm hoping y'all that are smarter than me can help.

And yes, this is a Friday night sipping whiskey question.

All parts may be smoothed, re-profiled, polished, de-burred, or replaced provided they are not prohibited in these Covenants.

SHB p.32

Ruger Super-Blackhawk/Montado style revolver hammers (i.e., lowered and widened hammers) are acceptable on both adjustable and fixed sight model revolvers.

SHB p.33

7 minutes ago, Hendo said:

With all of my super technical expertise I have not been able to get the search function or poople to give me the answer I seek.

I shoot Duelist and my main match pistols are Cimarron Model P's. Over the past year I have picked up two Ruger NMV's and installed modified Super Blackhawk hammers. (I narrowed the thumb pad to the spur width.) Obviously there are differences between the Ubertis and the Rugers. My original intention was to have the Rugers as backups, and I really do like the lowered hammers, but we'll see. 

So the question is, Can I heat and bend the Uberti spurs down? Does this have to be a cut and weld deal? If so, who does it? I had seen that somebody (can't remember who) cut and welded SBH hammers on to Italian hammers, but I don't want that wide of a hammer.

I'm hoping y'all that are smarter than me can help.

And yes, this is a Friday night sipping whiskey question.

Yes it can be done. However done incorrectly the hammers are worse than if they had never been bent. 

There are smiths that can do it correctly I suggest you buy a second set and have them fitted to the gun. Then send one set to a smith that knows what they are doing.

I had a pair of 58s that a previous owner attempted to bend themselves. Were useless for shooting duelist as your thumb would slip off the hammer as you cocked them. 

14 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

SHB p.32

SHB p.33

Yup, read that, but I ain't sure what you're trying to tell me there Amigo. Are you saying I should not have narrowed my SBH hammers? I would have thought would be covered under re-profiling, deburring and polishing.

If your Cimmaron’s are Uberti’s, go look at Taylor’s and Company Firearms.  In the parts section look for their Running Iron Hammers.  Make sure you get the right firing pin version.  

12 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Yup, read that, but I ain't sure what you're trying to tell me there Amigo. Are you saying I should not have narrowed my SBH hammers? I would have thought would be covered under re-profiling, deburring and polishing.

"Re-profile" as referenced in the SHB means changing the side view, as in heating/bending or cutting/welding hammer spurs is allowed.

Nothing to do with narrowing the hammer.

12 minutes ago, Not Dead Ed said:

If your Cimmaron’s are Uberti’s, go look at Taylor’s and Company Firearms.  In the parts section look for their Running Iron Hammers.  Make sure you get the right firing pin version.  

Tried that. All they sell is the wrong firing pin version now.

7 hours ago, Hendo said:

Tried that. All they sell is the wrong firing pin version now.

The stupid plunger safety can be deleted, but it takes a piece of (if I remember right) 3/16” drill rod placed behind the firing pin, and pulling the stupid plunger….  I was going to do it, but I got the stupid plungers properly polished up so they didn’t light hit the primers.  It’s a bit of work to get the length right but it is doable. 

Not Dead Ed; Or push out the retaining pin, re-noth the plunger, shove it back in all the way and re-install the pin. No extra parts to buy and I can change it back if I want to.

1 hour ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Not Dead Ed; Or push out the retaining pin, re-noth the plunger, shove it back in all the way and re-install the pin. No extra parts to buy and I can change it back if I want to.

Ooooo, I  like that. Might try to out on a spare stock hammer.  Did you rotate the pin?  What’d you do with the bevel at the tip that rides along the back of the pin?  

Back when low hammers were illegal for SASS other than Bisleys, it was always legal for Mounted shooting.  There were no low hammers available but a guy in California used to heat and bend them for a lot of shooters, for $50 each I think.  But he had a jig of some sort to get them just right.

I heated & bent  the hammers on  my wifes   Stainless  .38 NMV..they polished right back up &  look & work well, can't comment on the other brands...

Ed: I don't remember, I did it a few months ago. I still have the other one to do, I will answer you then.

2 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Ed: I don't remember, I did it a few months ago. I still have the other one to do, I will answer you then.

Hi Slim,  

I just took one of my extra hammers popped out the pin, pulled the plunger, and filed a notch on the opposite side of the groove.  It looks like it has everything in place.  The bevel on the tip just lets the plunger move up and down easier it seems.   And like you said, if you sell and need to put the safety back in place, you just rotate it back.   I’ll put the hammer in one of my guns to try it out.   Thanks for the tip.  

1 hour ago, Not Dead Ed said:

Hi Slim,  

I just took one of my extra hammers popped out the pin, pulled the plunger, and filed a notch on the opposite side of the groove.  It looks like it has everything in place.  The bevel on the tip just lets the plunger move up and down easier it seems.   And like you said, if you sell and need to put the safety back in place, you just rotate it back.   I’ll put the hammer in one of my guns to try it out.   Thanks for the tip.  

Any chance of getting a picture of this mod?

I'll take pics when I do the other one. Pretty easy, though. The most difficult part is filing the new notch in the pin, as it wants to move on you. I just used a very small file and marked the pin while I held it in place. You mostly have to know the height, so even if it turns a bit you can still file it opposite the original cut-out in the pin. Just take it slow and file the new notch in stages.

Yup, you can, and it's not very difficult. Ideal to clamp bottom portion of hammer in vise to absorb some heat. The hammer on the right was easily bent and re-shaped with Oxy/acetylene torch. And, of course, I did hammers on both pistols.

RR

PS: And, of course, I removed firing pins before applying heat.

Uberti hammers bent.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 6:23 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Any chance of getting a picture of this mod?

Sorry it took some time.  I hadn’t had a chance to mod one since.  Here are details.  My apologies for the typos, meant firing pin for hammer, and it changed plunger to plunder… 

F6A0B037-C04A-4905-B11A-0A69DEB04F82.jpeg

0D126B15-8714-4A91-87D9-251A8AA66599.png

F91AF297-2478-4BC5-9839-33B4543DE6B5.png

9F79D1E6-B850-446C-A25F-7C38D66260EA.png

33024AED-D330-4D5B-96EF-B58C138DB0D9.png

Archived