SASS Wire Forum

Pietta GW II vs Open Tops

Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905

I always wanted a pair of open tops but don’t want something that requires a lot of initial tuning plus maintenance along the way. I also like the GWII and from what I’ve read they are pretty solid out of the box and are durable.  What are the pros and cons of each. I know the open tops are tops in style points. About what would it cost to make them sass ready. I’m just fishing here but tell me what you think. Thanks

Dee M

49 minutes ago, Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905 said:

I always wanted a pair of open tops but don’t want something that requires a lot of initial tuning plus maintenance along the way. I also like the GWII and from what I’ve read they are pretty solid out of the box and are durable.  What are the pros and cons of each. I know the open tops are tops in style points. About what would it cost to make them sass ready. I’m just fishing here but tell me what you think. Thanks

Dee M

Open tops need work right out of the box. I have a pair. Go for the GWs. You can add OTs later. 

I bought a GWII three or four years ago to try Cowboy Fast Draw. I was VERY impressed with it. It was well put together and incredibly smooth right out of the box. When I decided fast draw wasn't for me I had no problem selling it, there is a very willing market.

I started with a set of Uberti 51 C&B in 36 caliber then added a pair of 1860 Conversions in 38 and then set of 1872 in 45 Schofield 18 years ago and still shoot all of them. I polished all the insides and over the years have replaced 2 firing pins and one hand on the 72. I shoot duelist and they work just fine. I tried two handed and they did not seem to work as well as duelist. I thought they did not index as smooth is what I noticed. I guess one could spend a couple of hundreds getting them “tuned” but I never felt the need or desire. If you shoot enough parts will wear out and break but that is part of the sport no matter which revolver you choose. Find one that fits your hand and that you enjoy shooting and let the fun begin . DC

59 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

What work do they need?

On mine, the timing was way off causing the action to either lock up or cylinder to over rotate. The arbor is also too short which affects fitting the wedge. 

Larsen Pettifogger did an excellent tutorial on how to remedy this gun’s issues. Perhaps someone can provide a link as I no longer have it. Suggest anyone wanting to buy a pair give it a read. 

1 minute ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

On mine, the timing was way off causing the action to either lock up or cylinder to over rotate. The arbor is also too short which affects fitting the wedge. 

Larsen Pettifogger did an excellent tutorial on how to remedy this gun’s issues. Perhaps someone can provide a link as I no longer have it. Suggest anyone wanting to buy a pair give it a read. 

I needed to add to the arbor as well, Larson's articles are a great help. I love shooting my Richard Masson's, but they don't get the use of my other pistols. 

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

It is the 3rd or 4th topic in FAQ.

kR

Archived