SASS Wire Forum

Modern Firearms?

Il Duce

Well, the Duke did carry one in the Green Berets...

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Wrong forum 

OLG 

How so?

"...discuss topics not directly related to shooting in SASS Cowboy Action Shooting"

Is this not fitting of that?

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

They work all to He** and gone, but I just don't find them attractive, or to have a lot of style or finish.  Had a couple, but they could all have been designed like a curtain rod given a little advice from the field! Not up to JMB, IMO.

Well They are effective , I cerakote most of mine I build Have anywhere from 5.56 to a 1800 meter 6.5 Creed to a 458 SOCOM like I used on Deployments . you can come up anytime ( wouldnt recommend next week at -22  ) I will load up a couple dozen of them and 10k in ammo and we go shoot . That being said, Being Military weapons expert and NCO for well units  . I have more fun with the Cowboy Guns . however I wont get into the none Esapi vest :) 

1 minute ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Well They are effective , I cerakote most of mine I build Have anywhere from 5.56 to a 1800 meter 6.5 Creed to a 458 SOCOM like I used on Deployments . you can come up anytime ( wouldnt recommend next week at -22  ) I will load up a couple dozen of them and 10k in ammo and we go shoot . That being said, Being Military weapons expert and NCO for well units  . I have more fun with the Cowboy Guns . however I wont get into the none Esapi vest :) 

Thank you!  Maybe we'll talk off line. A little like the Quigley quote on revolvers, a modern one has done most of the running coyotes I've shot off hand.  When I went thru Quantico, the M 14 was in but on its way out.  Last one I found attractive.

25 minutes ago, Primus Palus said:

How so?

"...discuss topics not directly related to shooting in SASS Cowboy Action Shooting"

.... well, to keep sorta within the spirit of SASS Cowboy Action Shooting, One should consider the firearms utilized to participate in the sport.

To most of us the term "Modern Firearms" usually suggests a Ruger Vaquero, or a Ruger Blackhawk ..... or maybe reproductions of firearms of the era and used within the sport.

......... this as opposed to the genuine originals of that time ........ 

(I think I got it right)  :)

20 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... well, to keep sorta within the spirit of SASS Cowboy Action Shooting, One should consider the firearms utilized to participate in the sport.

To most of us the term "Modern Firearms" usually suggests a Ruger Vaquero, or a Ruger Blackhawk ..... or maybe reproductions of firearms of the era and used within the sport.

......... this as opposed to the genuine originals of that time ........ 

(I think I got it right)  :)

There are always folks testing limits, finding their place.  Typical behavior on most enthusiast sites.  Is what it is!

6 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

There are always folks testing limits, finding their place.  Typical behavior on most enthusiast sites.  Is what it is!

........... true, but we can edumicate without being rude .....   ;)

Why not welcome this thread? Many here have used or still use 21st Century firearms.

We can post them in The Saloon and since the thread is now here…

A California legal AR-15…soon to get new furniture and a YHM Phantom flash thingy.

BE5A8EF7-EF90-48D4-BC34-3AECCB85BD9E.thumb.jpeg.985831d7af387bd3b16068eff701ba95.jpeg

The greatest battle implement ever devised…with a modern stock. 
3FA13915-54F8-4BD6-B06E-8F0BCBE0776F.thumb.jpeg.d1d6577742410fa281eea92e83e2584e.jpeg

My Glock 45 with my S&W 327 Night Guard. They play well together. 
510ADF3A-FC5D-403E-8808-F979625176CC.thumb.jpeg.1d26e7d0f7580df676602eda27ba5234.jpeg

My 2 Glock 34s

62A49434-5B85-4A88-A539-6467B697B5B6.thumb.jpeg.0c7c9779124aa5dc21048ec214a84bc6.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

We can post them in The Saloon and since the thread is now here…

A California legal AR-15…soon to get new furniture and a YHM Phantom flash thingy.

BE5A8EF7-EF90-48D4-BC34-3AECCB85BD9E.thumb.jpeg.985831d7af387bd3b16068eff701ba95.jpeg

The greatest battle implement ever devised…with a modern stock. 
3FA13915-54F8-4BD6-B06E-8F0BCBE0776F.thumb.jpeg.d1d6577742410fa281eea92e83e2584e.jpeg

My Glock 45 with my S&W 327 Night Guard. They play well together. 
510ADF3A-FC5D-403E-8808-F979625176CC.thumb.jpeg.1d26e7d0f7580df676602eda27ba5234.jpeg

My 2 Glock 34s

62A49434-5B85-4A88-A539-6467B697B5B6.thumb.jpeg.0c7c9779124aa5dc21048ec214a84bc6.jpeg

Just as an anachronism, the Garand stock doesn't work for me.  As to the rest, we all like what we like.  Now if I could get a functional Light Saber, having some familiarity with swords...

Back in the late '60's Johnson rifles were sitting on the rack, a "sweetener" on a deal.  I saw a nice one last week end art a show for $5,500 asking.  Curiously enough, I knew Melvin Johnson's son and son'e wife,  He and I had a few and talked guns a time or two. 

Bottom feeders are like smokeless powder- just a passing fad.:D

Seriously, there's plenty of places on the internet to talk about black rifles or the finer points of your preferred type of Fantastic Plastic bottomfeeder with a lowest common denominator action- but very few talking about the old guns with as relaxed an atmosphere as the Saloon.

10 hours ago, Primus Palus said:

How so?

There are plenty of 'black' gun forums for modern defensive tools.

SASS forum is pre-1900 era guns and should remain such, IMHO.

Respectfully, 

OLG 

P.S.

I do own a goodly amount of said 'black' guns and shoot them often.

My CC gun is a Glock 19 gen5

Carried a 1911 as a LEO.

OLG 

We’ve had many discussions in the past on modern (or at least post 19th century) firearms. I belong to several sites dedicated to 1911s, ARs and even plastic wondernines. Many of us share pics of our newest acquisition here.

I just prefer to mostly concentrate on the older designs appropriate to CAS here in the Saloon…when I’m not talking about likker, history or general goofiness. But if you want to showcase your collection, feel free. Doesn’t bother me.

I'll bite.

I'm in the purple shirt.  Daniel Defense Ambush, converted from 300 BO to 5.56mm x 45.  Burris 1x4 optic.  On my hip is my Springfield Marine Corps Operator.  Active shooter training from a couple of years ago.    

portag.jpg

The hypocrisy runs deep in this thread!

These aren't cowboy guns and there are other forums for these types of guns.

Meanwhile; let's see those classic cars, show us what truck you have, how many here ride motorcycles show your bikes. this is the new RV I just acquired, my latest WW2 whatever.

I don't see anyone posting pics of their wagons!!!!!!

It's the Saloon, a forum for common interests for like minded folk.

53 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

The hypocrisy runs deep in this thread!

These aren't cowboy guns and there are other forums for these types of guns.

Meanwhile; let's see those classic cars, show us what truck you have, how many here ride motorcycles show your bikes. this is the new RV I just acquired, my latest WW2 whatever.

I don't see anyone posting pics of there wagons!!!!!!

It's the Saloon, a forum for common interests for like minded folk.

I had similar thoughts. Looking at the threads in the Saloon right now, I can see plenty that have nothing to do with CAS or the wild west. And that's fine! It's what the Saloon is for. I don't understand people getting their knickers in a bunch because someone wants to start a thread for modern guns. I think it's great! If you don't, that's OK, but a modern guns thread seems well within the scope of the Saloon to me.

Pretty funny people get all bothered by modern firearms in the Saloon. 

Here’s a favorite of mine…it oughta irk some of ya. And it uses Glock mags! :P

410E0F32-B265-464B-97B0-2FD2290A2AB4.thumb.jpeg.4799aac589491fc4ce96142f6a6bbc3a.jpeg

Archived