SASS Wire Forum

Montie Montana’s Gun Cart

Yul Lose

Montie Montana was a trick roper and movie star back in the 1900’s and acted in more than 60 movies. Montie Montana, that I built this gun cart for used to be his paperboy when he was a kid and has many memories to share of his visits with the  real Montie and if you see the new Montie at Fire and Ice or EOT visit with him about Montie Montana, he has some fascinating information he’ll share with you.

I just finished this cart between lingering sciatic nerve issue and a few other things it’s taken me a bit longer, quite a little bit longer to get this one out. The lumber is black walnut and figured maple with through dovetail and sliding dovetail joinery throughout and mortise and tenons where needed. It’s set up as a 4 gun cart with holsters mounted to the doors and down below holders for the SG brush and swab. You’ll notice at the bottom of the inside of the cabinet a hinge with a pin in it. That pin connects the carriage to the cabinet and if you lose that pin or neglect to install it bad things will happen, I warn people about that on delivery but most of them find out on their own what I mean. I include an extra pin now, they seem to get misplaced a lot.

The chest features trays and sub trays for all of your match essentials. The SG shell well at the front of the narrower tray will hold an entire box of shells in the box and there is a finger notch on the dividing tray to allow removal and insertion of a box of shells without having to lift out the sub tray, works pretty good. If you lift out the tray with the handle there is a loading pouch bin that holds the loaded pouch in an upright position and all you need to do is lift out the tray, pull out a pouch and when you come back from the unloading table stick the empty pouch into where it came out of and then grab the next pouch when you’re ready to go load up. Once you’ve used 3 pouches just slide the other narrower tray over and grab another fresh pouch and repeat the process. I also include a soft sided ice chest and a double drink holder.

I mounted buffalo nickel style conchos on the 16 gauge brass that I use for hole covers and I also installed one on the door pull knob. I installed the soft close hinges so that you don’t have to worry about the door slamming open or shut if it’s windy.

Montie wanted his brand and an action picture on the cart and Double Diamond came through in classic Double Diamond fashion with the brand medallion up on the door crest and then the medallion with Montie Montana atop his horse doing a rope trick. I have to say this is one of the best looking medallions that he’s ever created and the kicker is he had to build them so that Montie could easily remove both medallions if he ever decides to sell the cart. I’m betting 99.9% of those that look at it can’t figure out how to do it.

I’ll be meeting up with Montie at Fire and Ice next Saturday morning to turn his cart over to him.

0A58067C-CD5E-4817-8762-EF2FC92F90AE.jpeg

329183BD-6827-4646-B832-EBF0DDF5B54F.jpeg

134D8E84-E7F0-4D5F-B263-43EEB93C92F0.jpeg

942D15F9-6439-4201-B506-EECC5707CC37.jpeg

985952A0-DE5D-4065-8B73-FAB86DA16168.jpeg

4A4995E7-62E8-4F4F-A263-BAAF02BE6840.jpeg

FEBE30E7-65EF-4CF0-B08A-C1EE5A837296.jpeg

13D0812A-AEF6-486C-B16C-8EA5835F4ED3.jpeg

D94B90CC-833A-4E40-911B-7A13D1F8C7FF.jpeg

9F7AAF54-0695-4D68-819F-BC6FA3205679.jpeg

99DCFF1D-7322-4E65-AFB4-256ED989C710.jpeg

49E6172A-58F6-4005-97FA-029934315B6D.jpeg

• Yul Lose changed the title to Montie Montana’s Gun Cart

That is not craftsmanship...Yul Lose is a veritable Wizard of the Wood...way above a craftsman

Yul is THE master, for sure.

Yul is so famous, he even has his own facade at the Cajon Cowboys!

Yul.jpg

Damn, Yul that is beautiful. Incredible work again. 

Jax T

39 minutes ago, Jax T said:

Damn, Yul that is beautiful. Incredible work again. 

Jax T

Thanks, it’ll be riding over with your new one and I’ll have it at Fire and Ice also.

As people have said...Wow.  I am so excited to be picking up this work of art from Yul next weekend.  It is so exciting...

I met Yul at the Western Regionals this past summer. The pictures of his carts are amazing...to see one is a whole nother thing!  When I started shooting SASS in December, 2020, I never thought I would dive in with "both feet" as I have.   I had my Rugged Gear 3 gun cart I had used for 3 Gun and thought it would suit me just fine.  I have always loved and appreciated fine wood working and the nylon cart just was gnawing at me...I kept saying to myself...it is just not right to be a cowboy shooting period guns, wearing period clothing and NOT having a cart that at least could be of the period :).  Then when I "saw" Yul's carts, I just had to have one.  

Meanwhile, my desire to match Montie Montana continued to grow and still does.  Being Montie is sentimental to me because I actually knew him as a boy.  I lived in Southern California most of my life and knew of him because of his many Tournament of Roses Parade showings (60 to be exact).  I met and got to know him when I was in junior high school while delivering the newspaper to his house.  His ranch was very close to where I lived and he invited me over, showed me his rope tricks and I was actually roped by Montie Montana...just like the only sitting president to ever be roped, Dwight D. Eisenhower, during his inauguration in 1953.  Of course the Secret Service didn't know anything about me...but they sure were worked up at the presidential inauguration.

I have since spoken to his daughter, who still lives in Southern California, and hope to actually meet her in the near future.

The cart's design, wood choices, etc were all Yul and his wonderful creativity and workmanship.  The leather work by Double Diamond is amazing and also very real.  The logo on the crest and on the brass bag was Montie's actual logo that he had on his boots, shirts, etc.  The picture on the wooden chest is from an actual photo of Montie spinning his rope while on top of Rex, his Pinto that he is so known for in many of his shows.  The detail and realism is astounding...thanks DD!

Yul & DD, thank you for putting your heart into this work of art and I will truly enjoy it.  I am looking forward to taking some pictures with you and DD while at EOT.  

Please stop by if you see my cart to chat about Montie Montana...he was quite the entertainer, movie star and there are some very interesting things I have learned after taking his namesake.

Archived