SASS Wire Forum

CZ Huglu Hammer Shotgun

Buckshot Bear

Picked up my new CZ Huglu Hammer Shotgun Saturday lunchtime, hardly got a chance to look at it as I was rushing to finish off the new gun cart for the next days match,

First scenario ......walked over from the loading table and was hoping that it was going to go BANG .......so happy with it, just loved shooting it all day through the 6 scenarios.

Always wanted a hammered 'cowboy' coach gun .....when those hammers are back it looks like a cat with its ears back....ready for business :) 

First shotgun I've ever owned that had chokes, do you put a bit of grease or something on the threads when you put them in?

These low quality phone pics just don't do justice to just how good lookin' this shotty is!!!

1216943102_SNY01955copy.thumb.jpg.3cb7256ac374aa735cf8e7332968dc73.jpg

341457319_SNY01958copy.thumb.jpg.75e1b899364182a840bcd9b0049a5afc.jpg

168987436_SNY01959copy.thumb.jpg.0510b5be137bbecd9aa65680f1822dd5.jpg

1738438673_SNY01960copy.thumb.jpg.9c78d57b81b266132c9c7ac36d696eda.jpg

1492294713_SNY01961copy.thumb.jpg.146c56997e969466820c7c0000bf8240.jpg

1327586545_SNY01962copy.thumb.jpg.8541c879433b675a4f7e5751627d353e.jpg

553899827_SNY01964copy.thumb.jpg.60fb02ac7b6d5b4867d1c3216cd46cf5.jpg

1638855648_SNY01965copy.thumb.jpg.acad4e44e110ca15cf98f307f5be1be5.jpg

1969022385_SNY01966copy.thumb.jpg.31e2f32435faa6fcd4389ef332c8207c.jpg

48 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

First shotgun I've ever owned that had chokes, do you put a bit of grease or something on the threads when you put them in?

Very nice shot gun! Glad you enjoy it :) This tiger pattern in the wood stock looks awesome!!

First, I was surprised your SG came with chokes as both my HUGLU HRZs (20" and 26") don't have any. But I just checked on their website which says 5 PCS VENTUS MOBILE CHOKE, so mine seem to be the odd ones..

Also your butt plate looks different. Is this a rubber plate? Mine came with steel plates, but I use leather stock covers anyway.

Beautiful shotgun ! I put anti seize grease on the threads of my screw in chokes and never had a problem with them.

Sharp shotty! 

I cant think of the name at the moment but a number of companies make a kind of anti sieze for muzzle loader breech plugs, i think the current one i have is made by TC. 

Anyways it is much friendlier than regular anti sieze, as in it does not get all over everything in sight. 

That silver stuff is great but it seems to multiply and end up all over everything! 

I uae the muzzle loader stuff on breexh plugs as well as on cans and it works great without the mess. 

15 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Very nice shot gun! Glad you enjoy it :) This tiger pattern in the wood stock looks awesome!!

First, I was surprised your SG came with chokes as both my HUGLU HRZs (20" and 26") don't have any. But I just checked on their website which says 5 PCS VENTUS MOBILE CHOKE, so mine seem to be the odd ones..

Also your butt plate looks different. Is this a rubber plate? Mine came with steel plates, but I use leather stock covers anyway.

I was surprised to see that buttstock as well, I was expecting the case hardened steel one that I had seen on YouTube vids.

Just got one.  Extremely well made and fitted.  Unfortunately I got the crappy, sharp edged, case colored stamping for a butt plate.  Would have loved the black one.  The butt plate is fastened with plain, black flat head Philips head screws, not firearms type.  I had planned to remove it and look for a replacement at the gun show last week end, but so far the screws have resisted my efforts to remove them.  I am reluctant to apply a power tool, may just have to make a butt cover.  Never much liked those. I will say, my copy is very stiff at the start.  

5 hours ago, Frybread Fred said:

Sharp shotty! 

I cant think of the name at the moment but a number of companies make a kind of anti sieze for muzzle loader breech plugs, i think the current one i have is made by TC. 

Anyways it is much friendlier than regular anti sieze, as in it does not get all over everything in sight. 

That silver stuff is great but it seems to multiply and end up all over everything! 

I uae the muzzle loader stuff on breexh plugs as well as on cans and it works great without the mess. 

75B20052-B874-4A9D-BFE7-A175414B8B0D.thumb.jpeg.c56d671aa2c6696e5b87d7f29a29b57a.jpegI only need a little bit on the threads. 

1 hour ago, Will Kane said:

Congratulations! She’s a real beauty. How stiff are the hammers as you cock them?

Hammers are easy for me to cock them both at the same time with my left hand.

Action is very tight presently. 

1 hour ago, Will Kane said:

Congratulations! She’s a real beauty. How stiff are the hammers as you cock them?

I'll answer for mine, pretty darn stout.  I'm trying to get around sending the gun anywhere, even CZ USA, so am working with different methods.  Not going to be fast.  Hard to break as well.

Good information here as I contemplate getting one. Does anyone know if you can reverse the triggers left to right/right to left? Thanks,

I have no knowledge of the hammer one but the hammerless are awful out of the box.  With an action job it is the best I have owned.  My previous three shotguns were SKBs and they were good guns but stocks cracking are not for me so they are gone and I, as a hoarder, now own three CZs.

1 hour ago, Preacherman said:

Good information here as I contemplate getting one. Does anyone know if you can reverse the triggers left to right/right to left? Thanks,

Yes you can switch them, might have to do a small amount of fitting to get them working, but I did exactly that on mine. Also reduced the width of the main springs by about 60%, and can sweep my left hand over them while hitting the top lever to break it open. After a couple hundred rounds it will just drop open when the lever is released. 

40 minutes ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Did you Take pictures? I am also tempted to do that with one of mine as it is significantly stiffer than the other. 

image.thumb.jpg.0d800ca665d438c0c6fcd9d6004e1d3b.jpgnew untouched lock on right, lightened spring on left. Reduced spring to .100. The new one is .230 wide. The reduction needs to be done evenly and radius all corners to avoid stress risers. If I eventually get power back to my lathe I plan to make all new internals for the locks with better geometry and better steel. 

On 2/16/2022 at 11:50 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

YES

There is a special grease for choke tubes. 

We bought a Library hammer double that is essentially the grandfather of the CZ model.  It wouldn't fire off factory ammo reliably. The springs had been lightened.   I got new springs from CZ and replaced the springs.. This is how I went about it..

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Nope! Probably should have got the Sharptail instead, though if I bird hunt again it will be with a Remington Special Field.  

My Huglu hammer gun came internally threaded with a plastic box with multiple chokes and choke spanner. I wonder if that answers why mine has the rubber butt cover and not the CCH steel butt plate like yours that we wondered about?

4 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

My Huglu hammer gun came internally threaded with a plastic box with multiple chokes and choke spanner. I wonder if that answers why mine has the rubber butt cover and not the CCH steel butt plate like yours that we wondered about?

Not a clue, most likely International Marketing.  Though not on my high priority list, if I keep the shotgun, I will have to get and fit a hard rubber butt plate.  Believe I have a good source.

Just as an FYI, one can use automotive anti-seize lubricant, as used on spark plug threads.  Highly recommended to use some form of good anti-seize.

I always cautioned my customers to skip those flash big heavy choke tube wrenches and substitute a quarter.  I don't know what the OZ equivalent coin size is??  Never ever ever over tighten a choke tube.

Archived