SASS Wire Forum

Montana Bullet

thespaniard

Any one has any experience doing business with them 

Website 

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/product/56-50-spencer-rcbs-82309-350/

Site looks legit and accepts credit card but wanted to check if anyone has done any purchases.

Trying to get some bullets for Spencer 56-50

Yes! 5 stars.  Very nice folks, excellent product and service.  I got something simpler, several weight of 45-70 for a new rifle.  Excellent quality, very well packed, and I was able to exchange Emails with questions. Though I wouldn't wish it on them, because it is down time in a small company, you might even be able to reach someone on the phone.

Before you buy anything, I highly recommend that you go over and join the Spencer Shooting Society and then spend the time to read ALL of the forum posts. The wealth of knowledge there is invaluable when it comes to the nuisances of the Spencer Carbines and Rifles.

You definitely need to slug your bore as there is a wide variation of dimension over the years on the reproductions.

Don't waste your money on Lyman dies. Buy the RCBS dies. The only Lyman die you need is an M die with the correct expander once you slug your bore. You can buy the dies and expanders from Buffalo Arms.

AFAIK the only hand primer that will accommodate the 56-50 is the RCBS.

The design of the Spencer action makes it VERY VERY picky about cartridge OAL and Bullet profile. I wound up buying a custom mould from Accurate Molds. Had a multi cavity mould with two different bullet profiles made. Both profiles were tailored some based on advice I got from others. While both profiles will cycle in the guns but one is definitely better than the other.

Smokeless Powder choices are also pretty limited. Again the Spencer Shooting Society forum has a wealth of info on the subject. 

I saw this post earlier this evening and used their contact form to ask a question. Just a few hours later I saw that they had responded via email. I didn't expect a response for a couple of days let alone a little later the same evening.

for my  1886 in 40-82   load info was for .406 dia bullets.  those keyhole at 100 yds.  called Montana Bullets and they made and sent .408 dia.  work great and have given me 1 1/2 "  groups.  great folks to do buisness   with.

Archived