SASS Wire Forum

Got myself a Wheeler Gun Screwdriver Set

Buckshot Bear

13 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Got myself a Wheeler Gun Screwdriver Set, from reading on here they aren't rated as top shelf, but I'm happy I got them!

20220217_113639.thumb.jpg.7190da241d8e871eea8228c116ec34df.jpg

I have 2 of their biggest sets and one of the smaller, I am happy with them. 

Randy

The Wheeler’s were my first set. I currently use the Brownells magnatip for two reasons:

1: lifetime warranty (which I have never used)

2: I bent several of the Wheeler’s tips shortly after I got them. Kind of seemed a little off to me. Sold them as a donation to a silent auction for 4-H. 
others have said the Grace were a bit soft. That was my experience as well. That and I broke the tips on 4 of the 6 in the set. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

They are just fine.  I have five or six sets of gun screwdrivers.  Each seems to have its own philosophy on how to temper their steel to address over-torque situations.  Some will bend others will snap if you over-torque them.  I have a large Brownell's set out in the shop ranging from the thin European bits up through some fairly wide and thick ones.  Several are bent.  They do have a lifetime warranty but you have to mail them in to get replacements.  After I bend a few more I'll send in another batch to save some shipping costs.  I also have several sets that I keep for backups and in my gun cart and for custom grinding to fit odd screw sizes.  The Wheelers are a vast improvement over tapered hardware store screwdrivers.

sounds like it is backed up as well as it looks in the OPs post , i may have to get a set of something to replace the cheap set i got a good number of years ago , the info here has me looking and thinking , thank you all , 

8 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

They are just fine.  I have five or six sets of gun screwdrivers.  Each seems to have its own philosophy on how to temper their steel to address over-torque situations.  Some will bend others will snap if you over-torque them.  I have a large Brownell's set out in the shop ranging from the thin European bits up through some fairly wide and thick ones.  Several are bent.  They do have a lifetime warranty but you have to mail them in to get replacements.  After I bend a few more I'll send in another batch to save some shipping costs.  I also have several sets that I keep for backups and in my gun cart and for custom grinding to fit odd screw sizes.  The Wheelers are a vast improvement over tapered hardware store screwdrivers.

Send'em in?:huh:

The very few I have tweeked over the years, I just called Brownells and the sent out the replacement, no questions asked. 

OLG 

I have the same one. Bent several of the bits and somehow loosened the grip on one of the drivers (it'll spin if you torque hard on it). Great idea on getting a pic on the bad ones. For the most part, it works well.

I have a Wheeler Set.  I broke two bits, my fault.  During the height of the China Flu panic I emailed Wheeler on how do I purchase replacements?  I received replacements in the USPS for free!

Couple months ago, bought a small Wheeler set at one of the big-box hardware stores for an automotive emergency tool box.  Upon opening the clamshell package, found the handle had NO retention of the bits.  No magnet.  No c-clip to catch a groove on bit.  No captive ball to grab a divot (like sockets).  

Absolutely worthless!  Never another Wheeler.

good luck, GJ

Howdy

I am a Brownells Magna-Tip guy myself. I like having the two different sized handles. I have not bent or broken any tips in a while, but when I did I called up Brownells and they sent replacements right away, no charge, no questions asked, did not have to send in the broken ones.

Here is a little tip: No matter what brand you are using, select the tip you want to use and then CLOSE THE BOX! Dunno how many times I dumped all the tips on the floor with a clumsy elbow until I learned that little trick.

pmIuG8Mlj

16 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

The Wheeler’s were my first set. I currently use the Brownells magnatip for two reasons:

1: lifetime warranty (which I have never used)

2: I bent several of the Wheeler’s tips shortly after I got them. Kind of seemed a little off to me. Sold them as a donation to a silent auction for 4-H. 
others have said the Grace were a bit soft. That was my experience as well. That and I broke the tips on 4 of the 6 in the set. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Well wait till you try to use the Life warranty on Brownells, one of the tips broke and I could not believe what I had to go through for replacement! Then then handle had the ring clip to hold the tip it broke called them they told me sorry they would not replace it! my wife  got me a wheeler set been using it for years never had a problem with any of the pieces.  V.D.

29 minutes ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

Well wait till you try to use thar Life warranty on Brownells, one of the tips broke and I could not believe what I had to go through for replacement! Then then handle had the ring clip to hold the tip it broke called them they told me sorry they would not replace it! my wife  got me a wheeler set been using it for years never had a problem with any of the pieces.  V.D.

The rules must have changed. Like I said, all I did was call them up and they sent me replacement tips, no questions asked, no returns, no nothing. This was a few years ago of course.

31 minutes ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

Well wait till you try to use thar Life warranty on Brownells, one of the tips broke and I could not believe what I had to go through for replacement! Then then handle had the ring clip to hold the tip it broke called them they told me sorry they would not replace it! my wife  got me a wheeler set been using it for years never had a problem with any of the pieces.  V.D.

When was this?

I've owned my Brownells sets for many years.

All it took was a phone call and replacement was on its way. 

OLG 

Reminds me of a conversation I had with one of the CAS type gun importers several years ago.  They had brought in a new single action and got reports of light primer strikes.  They posted on a couple of places that you could send in and get a free replacement mainspring.  The importer said they had sold 250 guns but had gotten 1250 requests for new springs.  The last time I called Brownell's (this was several years ago) they wanted the old tips back.  I am glad you can just call for replacements now.  Have bought a lot of stuff from Brownell's over the years.  Have always been satisfied.

2 hours ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

Obviously different experiences. Bent the 210-4 tip (not broken, still usable). Some time later when I decided I needed a non-magnetic driver, instead of online, I actually called a person and in the course of conversation told her about the tip and she said no problem and included it with my new driver. She also asked if any other tips were damaged (they were not) and told me to call if I ever had any issues. When I asked if she wanted the old one back I was told to just toss it.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Have had a Chapman set, and a Grace single action set, for many years both excellent. Nothing has broken in either set.  Also have had a couple of lesser sets, basically for my Wife to use, the latest Work Force wasn't expensive, but has been durable, and most of the bits still present!

I've tweaked a couple of my Wheeler bits and ordered (inexpensive) replacements from Midway. Only issue is the number on the bit doesn't relate to Midway's listings. While ordering I went to the Chat and gave them the bit number and they gave me the Midway number. Otherwise they have treated me OK for several years now. I have the $70 set.

3 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

When was this?

I've owned my Brownells sets for many years.

All it took was a phone call and replacement was on its way. 

OLG 

About five years ago for the tip replacement, I had to send them the broken tip before they would send a new one, so I went without that size for almost three weeks. And the driver handle was about three years ago, and it was only about three months old she told me that they didn't make replacement ring clips that hold the tips, and they didn't replace the drivers?  

TIP !  place the bit in screw slot put slight torque on handle, then with wooden or rawhide mallet tap the handle. just like a hammer torque driver.   have not broken  or bent a bit in  30 years doin it this way.   YMMV.

1 hour ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

About five years ago for the tip replacement, I had to send them the broken tip before they would send a new one, so I went without that size for almost three weeks. And the driver handle was about three years ago, and it was only about three months old she told me that they didn't make replacement ring clips that hold the tips, and they didn't replace the drivers?  

TNX,

Must have been a newbie call taker.

I've  had my Brownells set for over 15 years now and never had such an encounter with their CS.

OLG 

19 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

TNX,

Must have been a newbie call taker.

I've  had my Brownells set for over 15 years now and never had such an encounter with their CS.

OLG 

Must have been two new call takers?:lol: Well I replied with money, I have not made a purchase in over three years! V.D.

Only set with issues, not even horsing to unscrew a bolt or screw was the Lyman… complete set went in recycling

If one considers the smaller the bit, the less torque is needed to bend the tip, they will last a long time

On 2/17/2022 at 10:41 AM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Couple months ago, bought a small Wheeler set at one of the big-box hardware stores for an automotive emergency tool box.  Upon opening the clamshell package, found the handle had NO retention of the bits.  No magnet.  No c-clip to catch a groove on bit.  No captive ball to grab a divot (like sockets).  

Absolutely worthless!  Never another Wheeler.

good luck, GJ

That's odd. I have to use pliers to get mine out sometimes.

My handles have the ring clip but, the bits are loose and wiggle. They don't fall out however.

Archived