SASS Wire Forum

New 1873

Frybread Fred

Finally received my new Cimarron 1873 Saddle Rife (.357), after F'd X delivered to my FFL a week later then it was originally scheduled to deliver.

Beautiful gun for sure, but WOW, is it stiff.  I think it has a 42 lb trigger.........actually 9.4 lbs per my gage, but feels much heavier.

Most certainly needs some "slicking up" and lightening the trigger.  Most likely will get a short stroke kit as well.

That being said, I can't wait to shoot it.

20220216_173236.jpg

20220216_173224.jpg

My most recent '73 is also a saddle rifle, about a year and a half ago.  It was the stiffest of any Uberti I have handled.  It is the first rifle I have handed off to a 'smith to do an action job!  Feels great now.

59 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

My most recent '73 is also a saddle rifle, about a year and a half ago.  It was the stiffest of any Uberti I have handled.  It is the first rifle I have handed off to a 'smith to do an action job!  Feels great now.

Yeah, it will probably go in for some work.  I can do odds and ends minor work and such, but I think this one needs more than my meager skills.  Not quite as easy as changing springs in my pistols.

I see that Uberti is continuing the trend of having really nice case colors on the frame and really dull on the side plates, just like mine.  That really is nice wood.  The way the grain shows through the checkering is neat.  I have always preferred nice wood on my guns.  People say "why?  It is just going to get beat up."  But it will still look good and I don't throw my rifles down, plus leather butt covers help.  I won my first '73 in 2000 with tiger striped wood, then worked for Cimarron for a good while and got to cherry pick the rest.  About one in 40 or 50 is like yours, so you are the lucky one, enjoy!

My stable, in 4 calibers:

1873stable-4.jpg

9 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I see that Uberti is continuing the trend of having really nice case colors on the frame and really dull on the side plates, just like mine.  That really is nice wood.  The way the grain shows through the checkering is neat.  I have always preferred nice wood on my guns.  People say "why?  It is just going to get beat up."  But it will still look good and I don't throw my rifles down, plus leather butt covers help.  I won my first '73 in 2000 with tiger striped wood, then worked for Cimarron for a good while and got to cherry pick the rest.  About one in 40 or 50 is like yours, so you are the lucky one, enjoy!

My stable, in 4 calibers:

1873stable-4.jpg

Damn, some very nice rifles there!!

The wood is what drew me to this one, very happy with it , after some internal work it should be a fine shooter.

My 1873 through Uberti was (is) incredibly stiff. The trigger though is smooth and extremely light. I absolutely love it. Took it to the range and it was ridiculously fun to shoot. Unfortunately every round is $1.40. Haha. Otherwise I would have been there all day.

23 hours ago, Frybread Fred said:

Finally received my new Cimarron 1873 Saddle Rife (.357), after F'd X delivered to my FFL a week later then it was originally scheduled to deliver.

Beautiful gun for sure, but WOW, is it stiff.  I think it has a 42 lb trigger.........actually 9.4 lbs per my gage, but feels much heavier.

Most certainly needs some "slicking up" and lightening the trigger.  Most likely will get a short stroke kit as well.

That being said, I can't wait to shoot it.

20220216_173236.jpg

20220216_173224.jpg

I shoot .38’s in mine. My OAL of the round is 1.46 and it works fine! Beautiful rifle!!

27 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I shoot .38’s in mine. My OAL of the round is 1.46 and it works fine! Beautiful rifle!!

Pretty much my plan.

I have some 38 brass coming, hardly any .357 so figured I would load the 38's a little longer and should be good.

'73's don't need the .38's to be loaded long for most bullets.  125TC crimped in the groove for example feed great.  There might be other reasons to load long, like keeping rifle ammo separate from pistol ammo.  Or, if your rifle is so highly tuned and you are so sensitive to milliseconds that you can feel it, longer ammo means the carrier doesn't have to push the next round as far back into the magazine when the carrier rises and so makes the rifle even smoother.  Making sure your magazine spring is no longer than necessary helps as well.   :)

2 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

'73's don't need the .38's to be loaded long for most bullets.  125TC crimped in the groove for example feed great.  There might be other reasons to load long, like keeping rifle ammo separate from pistol ammo.  Or, if your rifle is so highly tuned and you are so sensitive to milliseconds that you can feel it, longer ammo means the carrier doesn't have to push the next round as far back into the magazine when the carrier rises and so makes the rifle even smoother.  Making sure your magazine spring is no longer than necessary helps as well.   :)

Thought I had heard they could be sensitive to length.

I am very new to the CAS stuff.  Speed?  Hahahahahah  not even a consideration for me.  I will be lucky to shoot a decent match.  Certainly will not be finishing in the top anything.

I have hunted and shot since I was a kid, in my early 50's now, so I know the mechanics and safe handling etc. 

The competition side is something I have never done.  Have always loved the Old West, cowboy movies etc and figured this thing looks like a barrel of fun.  

That's all I'm in for is the fun.

I do appreciate a smooth running firearm and think that increases the enjoyment of shooting.  I have probably tweaked something with just about every gun I have purchased (with the exception of any old all original ones) , built several EBR's, love old milsurps and pretty much anything to do with firearms in general.

3 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Uberti toggle link guns are very over-sprung out of the box.  Lightening those makes a huge difference, and fortunately is easy to do.

Are you talking about the two screws under the carrier  area?  One, the smaller in front I think, is loose and adjustable, however the other one is so tight I can't move it.  

10 minutes ago, Frybread Fred said:

Are you talking about the two screws under the carrier  area?  One, the smaller in front I think, is loose and adjustable, however the other one is so tight I can't move it.  

Yes, the springs held by those two screws plus the main spring.  There are tricks to help removing the screws.  Just loosening them will make a big difference and I have done that to several rifles, but on my newest one it was still too stiff so I opted for a "real" action job.  :)

On 2/17/2022 at 10:47 AM, Primus Palus said:

My 1873 through Uberti was (is) incredibly stiff. The trigger though is smooth and extremely light. I absolutely love it. Took it to the range and it was ridiculously fun to shoot. Unfortunately every round is $1.40. Haha. Otherwise I would have been there all day.

Do you reload yet? At $1.40 per shot it would be prohibitively expensive for most to participate even on an occasional basis. Our match on this side of the hill would have cost $168 (120 x 1.40 = 168) plus whatever shotgun shells go for. :o If you need help getting going on reloading let me know, there are some things I can help you with. (brass, lead and primers) don't have any spare presses but might be time for you to think about that. I get over to Denver (Brighton) once per month for business so let me know and maybe things can be worked out.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

59 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Do you reload yet? At $1.40 per shot it would be prohibitively expensive for most to participate even on an occasional basis. Our match on this side of the hill would have cost $168 (120 x 1.40 = 168) plus whatever shotgun shells go for. :o If you need help getting going on reloading let me know, there are some things I can help you with. (brass, lead and primers) don't have any spare presses but might be time for you to think about that. I get over to Denver (Brighton) once per month for business so let me know and maybe things can be worked out.

Regards

Gateway Kid

I actually don't reload, but had decided I needed to start before I purchased my first 45 Colt revolver. I did a lot of research on availability and cost (of ammo) and knew I needed to start. I saved all of my brass from the range the other week so and will be hunting down a press and supplies. Any tips or directions to look would be appreciated. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Primus Palus said:

I actually don't reload, but had decided I needed to start before I purchased my first 45 Colt revolver. I did a lot of research on availability and cost (of ammo) and knew I needed to start. I saved all of my brass from the range the other week so and will be hunting down a press and supplies. Any tips or directions to look would be appreciated. Thanks.

Okay then... To start a single stage press has five big advantages -

1. They are quite a bit less expensive to purchase.

2. They are simple and easy to learn on.

3. A lot of people have them, have learned on them and the techniques transfer well to a progressive press if you decide to get that later. That means it will be easy to find a mentor.

4. If you later on get a progressive the single stage can be sold relatively easily to the next new guy.

5. If you get into long range type shooting (I am not) some folks swear the single stage press is easier to make quality (read super accurate) ammo with.

I am tracking down a RCBS Rock chucker from a friend who may be willing to part with it relatively cheap. He also has a 505 RCBS scale that has been sitting for a while though I don't know what he would want for it. Pretty sure I have some decent brass somewhere that I could get to you for starters in addition to your recovered brass you already have and that should be plenty for awhile. I generally get 10-12 reloads out of 38 brass but I have only reloaded these 45's about 5-6 times so don't know how much longer it will go. Primers and powder are iffy since I cannot ship but can get you enough for a match or two when I come back through Denver on March 11-13.

Not a lifetime supply for sure but enough to get going.

Let me know if that would help and if you are interested in a decent single stage press. The Rock Chucker is what I learned on (still have it) but mine is not for sale.

Regards

Gateway Kid

BTW I sometimes like to come over to Byers (CRC) for their match and both Pawnee and Briggsdale put on a good event.

I still have and use the first single stage press I bought. We now have multiple presses set up and use all of them at one time or another during loading sessions. If you start with a single stage don't sell it just because you upgrade to a progressive.

kR

Okay, I started with a single stage press and completely agree with not getting rid of one. However, I'm gonna offer a different path to starting reloading. Start with a turret press that can be set up to not automatically cycle. You can learn by using one stage at a time, just like on a single but once you get comfortable [and safe] then you can set up the auto advance and speed up considerably. Also, if you go with a turret, once you have set up your dies, you don't have to reset them every time.

3 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Okay, I started with a single stage press and completely agree with not getting rid of one. However, I'm gonna offer a different path to starting reloading. Start with a turret press that can be set up to not automatically cycle. You can learn by using one stage at a time, just like on a single but once you get comfortable [and safe] then you can set up the auto advance and speed up considerably. Also, if you go with a turret, once you have set up your dies, you don't have to reset them every time.

Check out the CH Pistol Champ, had one for a lot of years. Was very satisfied with it but was given the 550 one year for Christmas.

Archived