SASS Wire Forum

"Mini" Shotgun Shells

Col Del Rio

In the Jan 22 issue of American Rifleman, there was an article on Mossberg 590s. In the article, 1 3/4"  12 GA shells were discussed. They work in the Mossberg.

My questions are:   1. Are these kind of shells legal for SASS? 2. If so has anyone ever used them in the 1897 Winchester?  

Thanks,

Col. Del Rio

5 minutes ago, Col Del Rio said:

In the Jan 22 issue of American Rifleman, there was an article on Mossberg 590s. In the article, 1 3/4"  12 GA shells were discussed. They work in the Mossberg.

My questions are:   1. Are these kind of shells legal for SASS? 2. If so has anyone ever used them in the 1897 Winchester?  

Thanks,

Col. Del Rio

1. YES

2. YES

What would the benefit be to using the shorter shells in the 97?

23 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

They can be used in Wild Bunch to get six shells in a '97 that is not modified to load six.

11 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

They can be used in Wild Bunch to get six shells in a '97 that is not modified to load six.

Thanks, I don't shoot Wild Bunch so I did not know this, but now I do.

18 minutes ago, Col Del Rio said:

Thanks for the inputs.  I was thinking of getting some shells for my wife. She is very petite so lighter recoil is better.

Careful with these.  Just because they are shorter doesn't mean they are less powerful or less recoil.  Most of them list their velocity at 1200fps.  Where you can get standard length Federal Subsonics at 900fps.  

1 hour ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Smaller, thus easier to fumble.;)

3 hours ago, McCandless said:

Careful with these.  Just because they are shorter doesn't mean they are less powerful or less recoil.  Most of them list their velocity at 1200fps.  Where you can get standard length Federal Subsonics at 900fps.  

And they can retain normal shotshell velocity and shot weight at the shorter length because the "cushion" part of the wad is missing.

4 hours ago, Col Del Rio said:

Thanks for the inputs.  I was thinking of getting some shells for my wife. She is very petite so lighter recoil is better.

I dont think there is a huge difference between them and the low recoil shells

the short ones are pretty expensive

Tried them in my 97 as well as a mossburg 500 and benelli super nova, wouldn't cycle in any of them without fighting them. 

Not worth the effort. 

They do work nicely in a double bbl or single shot. 

Seemed to be less recoil but I could be mis remembering as it was years ago when I last played with them 

Archived