SASS Wire Forum

Primer hardness

Tell Sackett SASS 18436

My experience has been any primers other than older (solid blue box) CCI primers work in all my guns. I used Winchester or Remington when available just cuz they were cheaper than Federal.

On 2/15/2022 at 11:46 AM, Ranger Dan said:

My experience has been any primers other than older (solid blue box) CCI primers work in all my guns. I used Winchester or Remington when available just cuz they were cheaper than Federal.

Can you clarify older? I have CCI that I have purchased at Cabelas in the last few months. The box is primarily blue and I’m wondering. 

6 hours ago, Mezcal Charlie said:

Can you clarify older? I have CCI that I have purchased at Cabelas in the last few months. The box is primarily blue and I’m wondering. 

Don't have any pictures, so I will try to describe my experience. In early 2020 I got some CCI SPP (2-3k) as they were the only SPP available. They were obviously old stock and came in a dark blue box. Shortly after I purchased another 1k CCI SPP, obviously of newer manufacture, in light blue and white packaging. When I was running low of Federal SPP, I loaded up 100 38sp with the "newer" primers. All fired fine in my guns. I figured would be fine using CCI SPP. Several months later, I was down to the "older" CCI primers and loading up for a big match. Needless to say, was not happy when barely 1 out of 10 would fire in a codymatic 66, they did fire fine in stock pietta Californian pistols. Have read since that some time around 2018-19 CCI updated their packaging AND their quality control, producing "softer" primers. Just my experience.

Been a while since I used any, as they seem scarce around here even in good times, but I remember Remington primers being between Federal and Winchester for hardness, and nearer to Federal.

2 hours ago, Ranger Dan said:

Don't have any pictures, so I will try to describe my experience. In early 2020 I got some CCI SPP (2-3k) as they were the only SPP available. They were obviously old stock and came in a dark blue box. Shortly after I purchased another 1k CCI SPP, obviously of newer manufacture, in light blue and white packaging. When I was running low of Federal SPP, I loaded up 100 38sp with the "newer" primers. All fired fine in my guns. I figured would be fine using CCI SPP. Several months later, I was down to the "older" CCI primers and loading up for a big match. Needless to say, was not happy when barely 1 out of 10 would fire in a codymatic 66, they did fire fine in stock pietta Californian pistols. Have read since that some time around 2018-19 CCI updated their packaging AND their quality control, producing "softer" primers. Just my experience.

Thank you. I believe I have the newer lighter box CCI and that makes me feel better. I will of course test first (when I’m out of federal) but my 44-40 guns are stock OMV and Uberti 66. The 45 though are tweaked. But again thanks. 

Archived