SASS Wire Forum

Q: 1911 Wilson Mag differences

Widder, SASS #59054

On some Wilson 1911 Magazines for .45 ACP,  some of the followers are Concaved (dished down) and some

of them are Convexed (humped up).

QUESTION:   why?    What would be the pros and cons on those 2 different magazine followers for the .45 ACP 1911?

..........Widder

Thanks for posting this @Widder, SASS #59054and @Sedalia Dave

I just learned something.
It also brought back memories of fussing with various mags until I tossed them all and bought a bunch of Wilson mags. Now I find Wilson’s have some differences. Odd. I don’t recall the shape of the follower on the ones I used to own. That was years ago. I know I remember they worked great. 

How come auto correct loves to screw up anything you write but never steps up to correct stupid sounding sentences? It’s a conspiracy, I tell ya!

Thanks Dave, for the link.   And other comments.... Thank you also.

Years back, I bought some Wilson Combat mags to use in my 1911 Kimber pistols.  They ALL had the polymer follower of 'concave (dished out) design

and worked perfect all the time in those .45 ACP pistols.

I now shoot two Kimber modified 1911's in .460 Rowland.  When I ordered a couple new mags specifically for the Rowland, they both have

the 'conveyed' (rounded HUMP) type follower.     That is why I was inquiring about the differences in those type mags, for the same type pistol,

same 'caliber' and same OAL of ammo.

My new 'Convexed' magazine work fine in those Rowland's.    I no longer have any of the 'Concaved' mags to compare.

BOTH of the Kimber factory mags have flat steel followers, both with 'Pimple' design.

Again, THANKS.   I'm learning.

..........Widder

Are the Wilson mags all 8 rounders in 45 ? Maybe a way to help get that extra round in while maintaining reliability. The Wilson’s I have , have worked well . Have some Novaks that I believe are metal form that have also worked well . They have a flat ss follower 

Over the years I have accumulated quite a few 1911 magazines.

Wilson Combat, Novaks, Kimber, Kimber Pro Tac, Springfield Armory, Chip McCormick, Ruger and Tripp.

Some are 7 round, some are 8. Some have a concave follower, some a convex follower, some flat with a dimple, some flat with no dimple.

They have all worked well for me but I don't shoot the 1911 as much as some of you guys do (Re Happy Jack :))

Most of the magazine failures I have had over the years have come from abuse (bent feed lips or dented sides) with only 1 from the factory problem with a Chip McCormick that would not slide lock when empty. Met the guy I bought it from at a gun show and he exchanged it and that one has worked for the last 10 years or so.

I suppose if I were a high volume shooter of the 1911 it might be more obvious which were best but honestly I cannot tell.

YMMV

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Interesting trivia the inventor of Devel, first of the 8 round mags was apparently Murdered.  The magazines were good until fatigue set in and they cracked at the bottom of the lips.  Believe McCormick bought the Patent from the estate. Used his in IPSC for years with no problem.  Have some Wilson and they are very good as well.  Whichever brand, it's good to remember to pull the spring and follower and clean the inside now and then, particularly if that is what you carry.

I have used Wilson mags for many years.  When I first started they were the best and given the fact I was using them in law enforcement they never failed.  I now have a variety; 10 round  9mm variety for 1911, full size 1911 in both 7 and 8 round and 7 round magazines for the Officers model.  I highly recommend them and bet my life on them for many years each and every day I worked.  I know that that there are magazines of equal quality but I am sticking with Wilson.  But feel free to send me samples of the others if you feel so inclined.....

The difference in the magazine followers is a continual quest to control the round as it leaves the magazine.  The original ones were flat, and that worked great with the original 45 acp round because the ogive was the same.  When shooters started wanting to use rounds that don't have the same ogive to the bullet, the magazine followers had to be modified to affect the release time and point.  Bill Wilson has used several different followers over the years.  

I prefer a round top follower, and as close to the same ogive as JMB designed the gun for.  IMHO, that is the Remington Golden Sabre 230 grain.  I've got dozens of Wilson mags, but Tripp Research Cobra Mags are my carry for "serious social engagements".

I've only got 2 Wilson mags. They are the cheaper ones. They are real difficult get into my Kimber without holding the release button down, but slip right into my Cimmaron. The Kimber mag and all my no name mags work fine in both guns, only the Wilson is hard to get into the Kimber, you really have to slam it hard with your palm or push the release to get it in. Sorry about drifting off the topic.

28 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've only got 2 Wilson mags. They are the cheaper ones. They are real difficult get into my Kimber without holding the release button down, but slip right into my Cimmaron. The Kimber mag and all my no name mags work fine in both guns, only the Wilson is hard to get into the Kimber, you really have to slam it hard with your palm or push the release to get it in. Sorry about drifting off the topic.

I have my magazines numbered and marked.  Magazines that are hard to insert or don't drop free are separated from the rest and for range / practice use only.  I have gone so far as to notch the pad on the base of those so there can be no mistake.  The Kimber Tactical Commander I carry has a beveled mag well and has been remarkably magazine variety friendly and reliable for over 20 years.  Fired or only carried it needs to be cleaned regularly, as do the magazines.  Magazine issues were pretty much a general condition of 1911s in IPSC old days - some magazines brands working well with some guns and not with others.  When you hit a brand that works well with your pistol, you're home free, at least until they (may) eventually "wear out" under heavy use..

Archived