SASS Wire Forum

Switching Guns Every Stage

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Here's curious idea.    Once, I was at a shoot where the "theme" was old Cowboy songs.   So, for each stage, I used guns that were somehow mentioned in the song.

Characters in different TV and Movie westerns carried guns that you identify with the character/actor.   Sometimes the guns were generic, sometimes there was something unusual about them.

With the above in mind...

1.  Has anyone ever swapped guns for different stages based upon the description of the stage?
2.  What do people thing of a shoot where people are encouraged, but not required, to do so?  It would not affect the scoring for who wins based on if or if not you do it, but perhaps a tally could be made of how many swaps a shooter makes and be awarded some cheesy prize like a ribbon that says "I used too many guns, and got this ribbon."

Theoretically, a shooter could have 1 to 4 different guns per stage.  (And some of them, perhaps, could be reused on different stages)  Shooter would just have to "justify" how the gun relates to the stage.   For example, on the early 90's western TV show, protagonist Ethan Allen Cord carried a Colt SAA as his primary revolver, a Remington 1858 as he secondary, a Winchester 66 with the forestock removed, creating a "Hollyweird Henry" and in at least 1 episode was seen using a Winchester 87.

In practically every movie he was in, John Wayne carried a Colt SAA with a 4-3/4" barrel and a large loop 92 Winchester.

In one episode of The Rifleman, the main badguy used a pair of Colt Buntlines.   In another, the villain of the week used a 10 gauge SxS shotgun.

In other words, any character using anything can be "justified."

In different songs, things like old 44's, deadly 44's, Big Irons, "White puffs of smoke from a rifle" and other things are mentioned.

Heck, I suppose you don't even really need to swap out for each stage, you would just have to have 1 gun that fits one of them. 

All purely to add a level of "fun" to the shoot.

Some years back I shot 12 pistols on 6 stages at one club.  Same rifle and shotgun.  Nothing to do with the stages, just for fun.  Had a good time, but don't feel any particular need to do it again.  

Now, at Green Mountain Regulators annual Miami Vice match, where you can shoot anything, modern or otherwise, as long as the ammo is lead and SASS velocities.  I do bring out a variety for that match.

August 4th, 2013, I loaded up my car with 6 rifles, 6 shotguns, and 12 revolvers. Not just different guns, but each one chambered for a different dedicated cartridge/gauge. By dedicated cartridge, I mean I didn't shoot .38 spl in a .357 or .44 spl in a .44 mag - I shot what the gun was specifically chambered for. I had to use 28g and .410 to get 6 different shotguns, but they allowed it. My '82 hatchback Civic was my gun cart. :lol:

Dang near clean too, I had one miss... ONE MISS. :angry:

I'm sure @Crusty remembers it. 

I once shot the Tennessee State Match and never used the same gun a second time!! Ten stage match. Forty guns!

When word got out that I was going to try it, people started offering guns and ammunition in droves!  I had nine of the needed shotguns, so I only borrowed one shotgun. I shot pistols and rifles of every description and caliber. The state champion and overall winner insisted that I shoot his rifle and pistols! A lady shooter had me shoot her tiny .32 caliber Model P Jr.s and little ‘92 carbine, (I nearly got my big old meat hook hand stuck in the lever which was wrapped with a thick, padded wrap and her pistols almost disappeared in my holsters!).

I shot my original 1893 Winchester, three different 1898 Marlins, (this was before that hateful ban on anything but ‘97s) my 1901 Winchester 10ga, Schoolmarm’s ‘97, my Russian hammer double, my own ‘97, another hammerless double, and Will Riley’s ‘97.

I shot 92s, ‘66s, ‘73s, Marlins, and my Henry!

I had a literal blast! Smokeless, Black Powder, and even some great fireworks and special effects loads!

I think I’d like to try it again sometime!!

I went to great pains to have two pairs of revolvers that look and feel the same. I have a pair of Colts in 4 3/4" barrels and a pair in 5 1/2. I like using the same guns at every stage. I have a 73 and a 66 and I mainly use my 73 but I sometimes use the 66. I like the same guns on every stage, every match.

Wow!   I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only one who has ever tried something like this.   I'm also happy to see just how much some folks put in to pulling it off.  Seems to me that a match that encourages it could be something that is well recieved.

As I recall at the song based match, I did something along the following lines...

Song:  Ringo. 

Line:  "The deadly .44"

Gun used:  One of my pistols was an SAA clone in .44 Magnum, the "deadliest" of the .44 calibers.

Song:  Back in the Saddle Again

Line:  "Totin' my old .44."

Guns used:   Antique SAA and S&W, both in .44-40

Song:  El Paso.

Line:  "I see the white puff of smoke from the rifle."

Gun used.   For the 10th round of my rifle string, it was loaded with black powder.

Song:  Big Iron

Gun used:  Colt Buntline.   The biggest gun I had at the time.   
If I had it to do over again, I would now use my own Big Iron that I had made based on the one that inspired the song.   Probably pair it with a Walker

Those are what I remember,   If was a 10 stage shoot, so I am sure I found at least tenuous guns to use on other stages, but the memory has faded.

I sometimes swap back and forth between my '87 and SxS hammered, just to keep somewhat proficient on each.

Pistols I have, 12 cap and ball.  Charged all at home so could just pick up 2 charged at each stage saved a lot of time.   2 LeMatts, 2 1860 Army, 6 1851 Navy and 2 ROA'S.  LeMarts were the only ones to get a comment as most have not seen a pair used shooting a stage.

Archived