SASS Wire Forum

Single Action Only

Rip Snorter

The excellent Shooting Club I belong to doesn't have a SASS unit, and frankly is operating at its limits with the USPSA and other events it organizes and runs.  Having been exhausted by running a good sized IPSC match as a much younger man, there is no chance I can do it myself.  A couple of my friends have indicated that they have never had the chance to shoot their Single actions in an event, and I'm certain various of the club members are in the same boat.  What I was thinking about was a Single Action only pistol shoot.  50 rounds total with different simple setups in 5 adjacent pistol bays.  In no particular order -one bay, traditional paper target at 25 yards, one with 10 steel knockdowns, one with a plate rack, one for skip the can, and the last cutting a playing card. Must have a holster or carrying case for the revolver between stagess.  Not trying for SASS light, but the outcome might well be more SASS members.  Not really thinking of it as a match, just a shoot.  Maybe no timers and self scoring for bragging rights. No dress requirements, though you can dress for it if you have the clothes.  Based on current capabilities, I can't imagine a SASS event would be possible.  What do you think? 

You're on the right track.

If the steel targets are close, be sure to mandate LEAD bullets for those.   And of course, other safety precautions as needed.

Good luck.

..........Widder

When some USPSA shooters observed a CAS match they were quite concerned (an understatement) that we loaded at a loading table and then walked forward to shoot.  They load and unload under the supervision of a TO.  You may face resistance if you follow CAS loading and unloading practices.  Deal with this before you demo match. 

6 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

When some USPSA shooters observed a CAS match they were quite concerned (an understatement) that we loaded at a loading table and then walked forward to shoot.  They load and unload under the supervision of a TO.  You may face resistance if you follow CAS loading and unloading practices.  Deal with this before you demo match. 

Thanks! Have shot Bullseye, PPC, IPSC, SASS and USPSA. Was already thinking about that, and haven't decided. just how to deal with it.  Another more fundamental concern is that even though they may own single action handguns, people are often not fluent in their operation.  Many details to iron out before I present the idea to the Board. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Thanks! Have shot Bullseye, PPC, IPSC, SASS and USPSA. Was already thinking about that, and haven't decided. just how to deal with it.  Another more fundamental concern is that even though they may own single action handguns, people are often not fluent in their operation.  Many details to iron out before I present the idea to the Board. Thank you!

The matter came before our club board.  I proposed a solution that was accepted.  All sporting sports were to follow basic NRA safety practices and additional rules of the club that for CAS meant no rounds over the back berms and no shot larger than #7 1/2.  The documented safety practices of the shooting sports were also to be followed.  So long as CAS matches followed the SASS Handbooks they were deemed safe.  The safety record of SASS demonstrated that our practices work.

5 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Might also have a CAS rifle available as well for folks to try out after the pistol shoot.

If I get it to work the first time, maybe the second.  Out here, I'd be surprised if nearly every shooter doesn't have a lever gun or two.

17 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Do it, ya got nothing to lose and you'll be guaranteed to have fun fun fun!!

Got to get it approved - if I have to buy liability insurance, which I might  if it isn't accepted as an "Official" event, it's probably a no go.  Never priced that.

2 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Got to get it approved - if I have to buy liability insurance, which I might  if it isn't accepted as an "Official" event, it's probably a no go.  Never priced that.

If the event is sponsored by your club it ought to be covered by their  existing policy. 

Seamus

3 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

If the event is sponsored by your club it ought to be covered by their  existing policy. 

Seamus

Exactly, and I just rewrote a section of the bylaws to cover that kind of situation.  Unfortunately,that was before I came up with this idea - I wrote it pretty clearly, and I think water tight.  I may have outsmarted myself.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Exactly, and I just rewrote a section of the bylaws to cover that kind of situation.  Unfortunately,that was before I came up with this idea - I wrote it pretty clearly, and I think water tight.  I may have outsmarted myself.

Have a release form printed up and make everyone sign it. All the clubs I shoot at do that !

I would think that it being a single-action revolver, and not a semi-automatic pistol, that the event would be safer, and perhaps the insurance issue, would be a non-issue. You could state that if one can safely handle a semi-automatic pistol, then one should (should) be able to safely handle a single action thumb buster.

Wouldn't you say? 

Unless of course your range officials have a last name of trudeau, or biden. If so, they will not talk to you, or listen, or meet with you. Montana is, after all, right on the border. :lol:

At a local non-SASS club that I belong, we have been doing an occasional fire specific match. These matches have been done to spotlight different firearms (.38 snub nose J-frame revolvers, .45 ACP 1911 pistols, single action revolvers, pump action shotgun, and most recently, pistol caliber lever action rifles/carbines). These matches usually have less than a dozen people compared to the 50 or so at our Steel Challenge or USPSA matches. We use one bay to shoot five stages. Round count is usually about 50. Loading and unloading is done per USPSA and Steel Challenge rules under the commands of the range officer at the firing line. Pistols are holstered or cased when not in use, long guns are staged open and empty on a gun rack. Various cardboard and steel targets are used depending on distance. We might shoot from 2 to 45 yards as we start with the first stage almost to the backstop shooting cardboard targets from the hip (plenty of extra targets are at the ready after the shooter has cleared their firearm and targets can be scored). After everyone has shot the first stage, we might move back a few yard to shoot a couple of bullseye target. Next, might be a falling plate rack. Next might be a combination of shoot and No-shoot targets. The final stage on the bay would have everyone back at the entrance to the stage. This allows them to get their gear loaded into their vehicles and them hopefully help with tear down of the bay.

16 minutes ago, Raton Rick said:

At a local non-SASS club that I belong, we have been doing an occasional fire specific match. These matches have been done to spotlight different firearms (.38 snub nose J-frame revolvers, .45 ACP 1911 pistols, single action revolvers, pump action shotgun, and most recently, pistol caliber lever action rifles/carbines). These matches usually have less than a dozen people compared to the 50 or so at our Steel Challenge or USPSA matches. We use one bay to shoot five stages. Round count is usually about 50. Loading and unloading is done per USPSA and Steel Challenge rules under the commands of the range officer at the firing line. Pistols are holstered or cased when not in use, long guns are staged open and empty on a gun rack. Various cardboard and steel targets are used depending on distance. We might shoot from 2 to 45 yards as we start with the first stage almost to the backstop shooting cardboard targets from the hip (plenty of extra targets are at the ready after the shooter has cleared their firearm and targets can be scored). After everyone has shot the first stage, we might move back a few yard to shoot a couple of bullseye target. Next, might be a falling plate rack. Next might be a combination of shoot and No-shoot targets. The final stage on the bay would have everyone back at the entrance to the stage. This allows them to get their gear loaded into their vehicles and them hopefully help with tear down of the bay.

Used to be in a similar group the last place I lived.  You got plenty of shooting but didn't spend the entire day.  Other than basic safety and good sense, not a whole lot of rules.  I didn't appreciate it as much as i should have!

On 2/14/2022 at 10:44 AM, Rip Snorter said:

The excellent Shooting Club I belong to doesn't have a SASS unit, and frankly is operating at its limits with the USPSA and other events it organizes and runs.  Having been exhausted by running a good sized IPSC match as a much younger man, there is no chance I can do it myself.  A couple of my friends have indicated that they have never had the chance to shoot their Single actions in an event, and I'm certain various of the club members are in the same boat.  What I was thinking about was a Single Action only pistol shoot.  50 rounds total with different simple setups in 5 adjacent pistol bays.  In no particular order -one bay, traditional paper target at 25 yards, one with 10 steel knockdowns, one with a plate rack, one for skip the can, and the last cutting a playing card. Must have a holster or carrying case for the revolver between stagess.  Not trying for SASS light, but the outcome might well be more SASS members.  Not really thinking of it as a match, just a shoot.  Maybe no timers and self scoring for bragging rights. No dress requirements, though you can dress for it if you have the clothes.  Based on current capabilities, I can't imagine a SASS event would be possible.  What do you think? 

You mean we'd have to aim?:blink:

Archived