SASS Wire Forum

Classic film

Utah Bob #35998

Watching the 1934 version of Treasure Island. I believe I’ll have a noggin of rum at happy hour. :lol:

Maybe two.

(I had to look up noggin)

6 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Is that the one with Wallace Beery and Jackie Cooper?

Yes

Oops a noggin is 4 oz. Maybe a half noggin to start :o

An old favorite, from my yout'...  :rolleyes:

It's hard to eat cheese without thinking of Jim meeting Ben Gunn:  "Marooned three years agone, and lived on goats since then, and berries, and oysters. Wherever a man is, says I, a man can do for himself. But, mate, my heart is sore for Christian diet. You mightn't happen to have a piece of cheese about you, now? No? Well, many's the long night I've dreamed of cheese--toasted, mostly--and woke up again, and here I were."  :lol:

Dangit, Bob, now I'm gonna have to get me some good Christian cheese and watch it again!  ^_^

12 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

An old favorite, from my yout'...  :rolleyes:

It's hard to eat cheese without thinking of Jim meeting Ben Gunn:  "Marooned three years agone, and lived on goats since then, and berries, and oysters. Wherever a man is, says I, a man can do for himself. But, mate, my heart is sore for Christian diet. You mightn't happen to have a piece of cheese about you, now? No? Well, many's the long night I've dreamed of cheese--toasted, mostly--and woke up again, and here I were."  :lol:

Dangit, Bob, now I'm gonna have to get me some good Christian cheese and watch it again!  ^_^

Got me a piece right now! :D

252785A7-9338-4168-85F4-C4D74B6BB8C9.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

He could have made goat cheese.  Let the milk curdle and then press the curds.  

He could if he knew how. But he was a sailor man, not a dairy farmer. Probably had no idea how to make cheese.

Like if I had access (on the island that I was marooned on) to iron ore, coal, sulfur, lead, potassium nitrate, and willow trees, I should be able to make me a gun and gunpowder and hunt. Except that while I know that gunpowder is made from charcoal, sulfur, and potassium nitrate, and steel can be made from coal and iron ore, I don't know how to make either one of them. Or how to make a gun if I had them.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I saved my empty Kirk & Sweeney bottle and use it for orange juice when we have guests for breakfast.  Makes for interesting conversations!  :)

I love love Treasure Island with Robert Newton and Bobby Driscoll.  Robert Newton is the king of pirates. If you look in the dictionary under the word pirate, you will see a picture of Robert Newton.

10 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I saved my empty Kirk & Sweeney bottle and use it for orange juice when we have guests for breakfast.  Makes for interesting conversations!  :)

So, how do you get that cylinder of frozen OJ concentrate in through that skinny little bottle neck? ;)

LL

2 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

So, how do you get that cylinder of frozen OJ concentrate in through that skinny little bottle neck? ;)

LL

Forget frozen concentrate.  Just pour fresh squeezed juice into the bottle with a funnel.  Tastes better anyway.

14 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I'm not really a Rum drinker, but I'm thinkin' I need to try this brand.

18 hours ago, Alpo said:

He could if he knew how. But he was a sailor man, not a dairy farmer. Probably had no idea how to make cheese.

Like if I had access (on the island that I was marooned on) to iron ore, coal, sulfur, lead, potassium nitrate, and willow trees, I should be able to make me a gun and gunpowder and hunt. Except that while I know that gunpowder is made from charcoal, sulfur, and potassium nitrate, and steel can be made from coal and iron ore, I don't know how to make either one of them. Or how to make a gun if I had them.

I could do all of that........if I had the simple tools that are unlikely to be in a life boat or on a makeshift raft.

4 hours ago, Cemetery said:

I'm not really a Rum drinker, but I'm thinkin' I need to try this brand.

I am not a big rum drinker either but this one is quite good. Two others I have found that I would rate higher are Ron Zacapa Systema Solera 23 and

Papa’s Pilar Ernest Hemingway dark rum. They go down well on a winter night.

I have tried a few “authentic” Royal Navy types and to me they seemed harsh and unpleasant. 

E4F29D29-98F2-4D4C-91C8-DE34649B8A98.jpeg

A2E1ED88-07D6-4A80-B7CA-A4F6B729D2AE.jpeg

An interesting note by the way is that Wallace Beery is not the friendly kind of guy that is shown in several of his movies but apparently quite a jerk in real life.  But that said,  His version of Treasure Island is the best IMHO.

9 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

An interesting note by the way is that Wallace Beery is not the friendly kind of guy that is shown in several of his movies but apparently quite a jerk in real life.  But that said,  His version of Treasure Island is the best IMHO.

Well, yeah.  He was an actor. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Well, yeah.  He was an actor. :rolleyes:

Yes but this was the 30's and 40's and many actors were not jerks back then - consider how many joined the military or the war effort for example as opposed to now where admittedly the non-jerks would be a distinct minority.

6 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Yes but this was the 30's and 40's and many actors were not jerks back then - consider how many joined the military or the war effort for example as opposed to now where admittedly the non-jerks would be a distinct minority.

Hard to say. The media was different then. Stars had more privacy and were protected by the big studios. A lot of scandals got swept under the rug. The industry is so huge nowadays it’s difficult to say what the good guy to jerk ratio is these days.

Now as far as politicians go………:rolleyes:

On 2/13/2022 at 2:33 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I am not a big rum drinker either but this one is quite good. Two others I have found that I would rate higher are Ron Zacapa Systema Solera 23 and

Papa’s Pilar Ernest Hemingway dark rum. They go down well on a winter night.

I have tried a few “authentic” Royal Navy types and to me they seemed harsh and unpleasant. 

E4F29D29-98F2-4D4C-91C8-DE34649B8A98.jpeg

A2E1ED88-07D6-4A80-B7CA-A4F6B729D2AE.jpeg

Picked up a bottle of Papa's today, very nice!

Archived