SASS Wire Forum

Cleaning 73 Bolt and Extractor

Doc Altman SASS#74468

I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, but I've got a 12 year old (Codymatic) Taylor's 73....and I've never taken the extractor out of the bolt.  I've sprayed parts cleaner around the extractor, blown it out with compressed air, and then oiled it, but I've never actually taken it apart.  I still haven't had any trouble with it, but I'm afraid I'm pushing my luck.  I've also thought about just cleaning it in an ultrasonic cleaner.  Should I buy the aluminum bolt block and pin punch to take it apart, or drop it in the ultrasonic cleaner, or keep doing what I've been doing?

What say the experts?

--Doc Altman

I haven’t had any trouble with my 73’s in 357/38… but I have had to clean the channel for the extractor claw on my 45 Colt rifles. Crud really builds up under it. I used a kind of generic gunsmith block that is magnetic. You may have to file the end of the pin that holds the extractor in the bolt after you take it out and put it back in. I have had it cause the action to get hung up on the edge of the pin. Just a couple file strokes cleaned it up. 

If it's working, LEAVE IT ALONE.  Spraying with Carb Cleaner/Parts Cleaner with a compressed air blowout is all you need.  Then give it a couple drops of oil or Boeshield T9.

45 Colt rifles, without annealed cartridges will foul everything and do require more frequent maintenance.

First off, it really isn't very difficult or risky to drive out the pin and remove then reinstall an extractor. A replacement pin is about a dollar, bit a similar sized cheap drill bit (or scrap of bailing wire) will substitue if ground off smooth on the ends.  I would recommend buying the aluminum bolt holding block and correct size steel drift punch (1/16") if you plan to do it yourself.  Both make it much faster and simpler.

What you've been doing has worked OK so far and may continue to do OK.  But consider this also:

The extractor is located right at the point where hot gas blow-back occurs most intensely.  Lubricants, powder and priming residue that get blown in under the extractor spring under force  are likely to be cooked and hardened there as well.  I've removed 1873 extractors that had so much crud built up under them that they were supported too high to engage cartridge rims.  In one case, I had to use a jewlers graver to clean out the caked and hardened residue.  The extractor was permanently deformed upward and required replacement.  

So you when you clean the extractor in place, do be sure to check case rim engagement and clearance too.   As for me, I like to remove, inspect and clean my extractors at least two to three times a year, depending on frequency of use.  IMO, there is little that is more disruptive to a match than repeated extraction failures.

Just my $0.02 worth. 

Hi Doc,

Chiming in again, I mentioned the 45 because it will foul a Toggle Link rifle regardless of the powder used.  Just a matter of degrees.

I shoot APP exclusively.  Go through it by the case.  Suggestion number one, regardless of cartridge, source up a small squirt bottle from Amazon.  About the size of a short drink bottle.  Make up some PAM "Hydrogen Peroxide - Alcohol - Murphys Oil Soap" mixed in equal parts.  Spritz the bolt and the carrier block and mortice every so often.  Keep your spray bottle in one of those drink cozies to keep the Sun Light away from the Hydro Peroxide.  Replace/Remix the PAM about every other month.

PS:  Almost forgot, if you do shoot a 45, consider annealing your cases.  It will eliminate Blow-By

45 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Hi Doc,

Chiming in again, I mentioned the 45 because it will foul a Toggle Link rifle regardless of the powder used.  Just a matter of degrees.

I shoot APP exclusively.  Go through it by the case.  Suggestion number one, regardless of cartridge, source up a small squirt bottle from Amazon.  About the size of a short drink bottle.  Make up some PAM "Hydrogen Peroxide - Alcohol - Murphys Oil Soap" mixed in equal parts.  Spritz the bolt and the carrier block and mortice every so often.  Keep your spray bottle in one of those drink cozies to keep the Sun Light away from the Hydro Peroxide.  Replace/Remix the PAM about every other month.

PS:  Almost forgot, if you do shoot a 45, consider annealing your cases.  It will eliminate Blow-By

I read about PAM both here and at CAS City (I think).  I also think it was some of your posts.  I'll definitely give it a try.  I'd been planning on quick cleaning with Windex with Vinegar and at-home cleaning with Ballistol, but PAM sounds easy enough to mix up.

I shoot .38s, and do get a considerable amount of Blow-By (primarily on cases and the carrier) using Trail Boss, but never to a degree that I've contemplated annealing my brass.  I shot a lot of black powder many years ago, and I'm looking forward to trying APP.

Thank you for your help!

--Doc

53 minutes ago, KingSnake said:

This bolt bench block makes it easy to remove the extractor. 

A014DF9C-DF6A-4822-94C5-01624B53A2A1.jpeg

Hey KingSnake,

That looks suspiciously similar to something I saw in Scarlett's tent at EOT.

I might put one of those on my wish list!

Thanks!

--Doc

10 minutes ago, Doc Altman SASS#74468 said:

Hey KingSnake,

That looks suspiciously similar to something I saw in Scarlett's tent at EOT.

I might put one of those on my wish list!

Thanks!

--Doc

It’s exactly like what you saw in Scarlett’s tent at EOT.

The more shots fired, the more likely you are going to have to replace your extractor.  keep one block at home and one for the road.  If there is any question, I change the extractor.   Had to change one at Bordertown this year on my son's rifle.  If your going to a big matches and practicing often, you may want to change one out more often or a least take it out and clean your groove.  Hate to see someone spend a lot of money going to big matches and taking a chance. 

10 hours ago, Kirk James said:

The more shots fired, the more likely you are going to have to replace your extractor.  keep one block at home and one for the road.  If there is any question, I change the extractor.   Had to change one at Bordertown this year on my son's rifle.  If your going to a big matches and practicing often, you may want to change one out more often or a least take it out and clean your groove.  Hate to see someone spend a lot of money going to big matches and taking a chance. 

That's a good idea.  Because I only have one 73, I'll probably order a block and an extra extractor to keep on hand.

Sound advice.  Thank you!

Have not had any extracter problems. YET    Browsing thru the web, I found Lefty Wheeler has an interesting idea.  He shows a groove   machined across the bolt so you could squirt and blow out the crud build up .     GW

8 hours ago, Doc Altman SASS#74468 said:

That's a good idea.  Because I only have one 73, I'll probably order a block and an extra extractor to keep on hand.

Sound advice.  Thank you!

A question for those who have worked on them, does a new extractor often need any fitting?  I've heard of some having interference where they fit into the notch above the chamber.  If one was going to carry a spare extractor for "emergency" use, would it be better to install it first to be sure of fit and function, then remove it for use as a spare?  Or do you usually just drop them in and go?

First the disclaimer: I am not a gunsmith in that I will work on my guns and occasionally build/repair guns for newbies around the area but my knowledge base is from listening to those who know,  observe known good guns and trial and error.

Don't know about "all" extractors, but I have had some that would not fit properly into that "notch" and required some file work. I have also seen more of them that were to tight to fit into their groove on top of the extractor without some judicious treatment of the "tail" portion and occasional smoothing of the sides of the new extractor. Sometimes in experimenting I have found that a correctly fit extractor from one gun would be so sloppy in another that it would just flop around in another.

So in short I would hazard a guess that most times you will need to "tune" the extractor to the gun.

Coffinmaker, garrison joe and cliffhanger will be able to give you their experience with literally thousands of guns.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

On 2/12/2022 at 11:09 AM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

45 Colt rifles, without annealed cartridges will foul everything and do require more frequent maintenance.

+1 on this. If you shoot 45 Colt, the aluminum bolt block makes extractor removal much easier.

On 2/12/2022 at 7:25 PM, Doc Altman SASS#74468 said:

My concern---and I should have said so at the buzzer---is that I'm going to start shooting APP in this rifle and wanted to get it as clean as possible before I started.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

--Doc Altman

I sell those neat aluminum gadgets and have used it three times on my 73. Well, counting yesterday, four times. My extractor was so cruddy that on the 6th stage of, what was for me, an outstanding -and clean- match it FAILED with 4 shots left. I got the cases out with my screw knife but lost my place and got a P. (It’s ok! I was practicing hitting all the targets).  Needless to say, I came home, removed my bolt and extractor. It was EMBARRASSING! I had planned to do a good deep cleaning before EOT… Waited one stage too long! 

So, while I do sell them, I use it.  I shall use it much more often! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

I bought my '73 in 2005 and all I have ever done to the bolt is clean the bolt face, use a small brush to clean under the extractor and brush the bolt tab, wipe down the top and the sides as best as I can, and once in a while, put a drop of oil on the top of the extractor so it can work its way down.  My '73 has never seen anything but Black Powder.  It probably wouldn't know what to do with smokeless.

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I sell those neat aluminum gadgets and have used it three times on my 73. Well, counting yesterday, four times. My extractor was so cruddy that on the 6th stage of, what was for me, an outstanding -and clean- match it FAILED with 4 shots left. I got the cases out with my screw knife but lost my place and got a P. (It’s ok! I was practicing hitting all the targets).  Needless to say, I came home, removed my bolt and extractor. It was EMBARRASSING! I had planned to do a good deep cleaning before EOT… Waited one stage too long! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Sad story.  Big matches surely are not the place where you want to discover hidden gun neglect items (or have to be distracted worrying about them).    Thankfully, we have the bolt holding jig available, so anyone can easily enough remove, inspect and clean a '73 extractor, and save themselves the grief and worry. 

The '73 extractor is not a part that cleans very well superficially, and it often does not show the burned on grime build-up.  

12 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Hugs!

Scarlett

Ouch!!

That's unfortunate, Scarlett.  I sure hate to hear that it happened to you.

That, obviously, is my fear.  I'll get one of KingSnake's blocks next time I order from you.

--Doc

19 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Hugs!

Scarlett

Howdy Scarlett, I would like to get one of your bolt blocks.

However as close as it is to EOT I am wondering if it would be better as far as delivery to order off the website and have you mail it or to just wait to get it at EOT.

Thoughts?

Regards

Gateway Kid

My most-used rifle is a twenty year old .357 '73 with 10,600 rounds through it.  Never any extraction problems.  Of course, some serious shooters who also practice probably shoot that many in one year.  Obviously a YMMV thing.

11 hours ago, Doc Altman SASS#74468 said:

Ouch!!

That's unfortunate, Scarlett.  I sure hate to hear that it happened to you.

That, obviously, is my fear.  I'll get one of KingSnake's blocks next time I order from you.

--Doc

I bought one of them blocks from KingSnake and I'll tell you, you won't regret it. It is one handy tool.

On 2/14/2022 at 4:20 PM, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Howdy Scarlett, I would like to get one of your bolt blocks.

However as close as it is to EOT I am wondering if it would be better as far as delivery to order off the website and have you mail it or to just wait to get it at EOT.

Thoughts?

Regards

Gateway Kid

It’s whatever you want to do. I can mail it before I leave. Just need your address. I am leaving Monday midday for EOT. If you get it now or at EOT please stop by my booth! I will be next to Dillon. Cimmaron is on the corner, then Dillon and then ME! Can’t wait!

Hugs!

Scarlett

32 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

It’s whatever you want to do. I can mail it before I leave. Just need your address. I am leaving Monday midday for EOT. If you get it now or at EOT please stop by my booth! I will be next to Dillon. Cimmaron is on the corner, then Dillon and then ME! Can’t wait!

Hugs!

Scarlett

Thanks much. I will be down there the Sunday before so I am thinking I will just see you there rather than risk checks/parts passing in the mail. Was planning on seeing your booth in any case. Also wanted to try 1000 of your new 105 gr 38's if they are available there.

Regards

Gateway Kid

13 hours ago, Scarlett said:

please stop by my booth! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Can I stop by and see you too?:wub:

@Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life I will have plenty of the new 105s! I’ll set aside some for you! Look forward to meeting you! 

@Sixgun Seamus you’d BETTER stop by! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Archived