SASS Wire Forum

All Things Pokey

Uno Mas  SASS #80082

2 hours ago, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

Handled some Benchmade knives. They just didn't seem to be worth the significantly greater price. 

How wrong am I?  And why?    

I've had two Benchmades and the steel retains a ridiculously sharp edge. My folder and a 192 fixed blade.

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Benchmade has become one of my favorite brands.

When the smartz guyz all have a different opinion than you... Time to reevaluate.  

Thanks.  

Well, I stay sharp the old fashioned way with a variety of stones and steel (ex. the Diamond hone for field use) I even have an extremely fine  double sided stone for the straight razor I shave with a few times a year.  My folks weren't good at sharpening.  I gave them a highly rated machine.  Fortunately they didn't use it on the family antiques.  Most of the others were sharp enough but ugly

For sharpening I use the bottom ring of a ceramic mug. It's about a medium grit ceramic stick. 

Pocket has a mini Gerber Para and I carry a crkt m16a1 clipped in my other pocket.

On 2/12/2022 at 8:21 AM, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

Latest obsession: the CRKT Ken Onion Swindle. It speaks to my desiccated soul.  

Carried a Swindle for years, it was a wedding present from someone who had filled the getaway car with balloons.  Loved that knife.  I passed it along to my pastor's son when he became of an age where a pocket knife was appropriate.  I'd get another in a heartbeat if the opportunity and means presented itself.  lately, I've been carrying my screw knife modified Opinel No7 for utility, 6 in Cold Steel Luzon for other utilities (and for all those times my pastor asks to borrow a knife around someone new at church) and my Leatherman Rebar as backup.

my favorite knives that I would recommend,

Cold Steele Luzon, CRKT Swindle, Opinel No7, Opinel No8, Leatherman PST

final thought, MicroTech VenomTech, limited edition that is unobtainium.  if I ever come to the place in my life where I decide I don't want one of these anymore, I'll know that I've finally become OLD.

image.png.f1ee1bc3204c5a1e8ba53f650bcda334.png

49 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

Carried a Swindle for years, it was a wedding present from someone who had filled the getaway car with balloons.  Loved that knife.  I passed it along to my pastor's son when he became of an age where a pocket knife was appropriate.  I'd get another in a heartbeat if the opportunity and means presented itself.  lately, I've been carrying my screw knife modified Opinel No7 for utility, 6 in Cold Steel Luzon for other utilities (and for all those times my pastor asks to borrow a knife around someone new at church) and my Leatherman Rebar as backup.

final thought, MicroTech VenomTech, limited edition that is unobtainium.  if I ever come to the place in my life where I decide I don't want one of these anymore, I'll know that I've finally become OLD.

The OTF and dual edged blades are illegal to carry here in Mi , I hate stupid laws 

1 hour ago, El CupAJoe said:

I can show you a very interesting scar on my right hand from a guard less double edge knife.  I won't have one. To each his own!

10 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

Carried a Swindle for years, it was a wedding present from someone who had filled the getaway car with balloons.  Loved that knife.  I passed it along to my pastor's son when he became of an age where a pocket knife was appropriate.  I'd get another in a heartbeat if the opportunity and means presented itself. 

eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2Nyay9pbWFnZXMvQ1JLMjQwWFhQbm4uanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOiB7InJlc2l6ZSI6IHsid2lkdGgiOiAyNzAsImhlaWdodCI6IDI3MCwiZml0IjogImNvbnRhaW4iLCJiYWNrZ3JvdW5kIjogeyJyIjogMjU1LCJnIjogMjU1LCJiIjogMjU1LCJhbHBoYSI6IDF9fX19

Swindle.  On sale now (2/14/22) for $30 at Knife Center.  I bought.  Youz guyz are a bad influence.  

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CRK240XXP/CRKT-K240XXP-Swindle-IKBS-Pivot-System

1 hour ago, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2Nyay9pbWFnZXMvQ1JLMjQwWFhQbm4uanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOiB7InJlc2l6ZSI6IHsid2lkdGgiOiAyNzAsImhlaWdodCI6IDI3MCwiZml0IjogImNvbnRhaW4iLCJiYWNrZ3JvdW5kIjogeyJyIjogMjU1LCJnIjogMjU1LCJiIjogMjU1LCJhbHBoYSI6IDF9fX19

Swindle.  On sale now (2/14/22) for $30 at Knife Center.  I bought.  Youz guyz are a bad influence.  

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CRK240XXP/CRKT-K240XXP-Swindle-IKBS-Pivot-System

You won't be disappointed 

13 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

They make an auto now also if you’re new home allows them 

I have a mini on order

15 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

They make an auto now also if you’re new home allows them 

I would have to check that out. I usually do not like auto knives. I had one open in my pocket once. It opened and cut my leg when I was climbing into a train. 

On 2/14/2022 at 9:01 PM, El CupAJoe said:
On 2/14/2022 at 7:26 PM, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

You won't be disappointed 

I wasn't. It's a fine knife, sleek and sharp. It'll definitely be in my pocket my next high society occasion. 

However, for everyday carry, I'll stick with my Kershaw Ken Onion Leek. No style, ugly as an evil stepmother, but completely, brilliantly effective. 

On 2/14/2022 at 6:18 AM, El CupAJoe said:

Soert of like when we were at my niece’s swim-a-thon and she was having trouble cutting her pancakes with the provided plastic knife and fork. You should have seen her expression when I pulled out my CRKT M16-14SF, opened it, and handed it to her using the proper technique (BSA Scoutmaster). :D

On 2/22/2022 at 10:08 PM, Modoc said:

Soert of like when we were at my niece’s swim-a-thon and she was having trouble cutting her pancakes with the provided plastic knife and fork. You should have seen her expression when I pulled out my CRKT M16-14SF, opened it, and handed it to her using the proper technique (BSA Scoutmaster). :D

A-yuuup.

A Manager of the Karen persuasion appeared in my cubicell, asking if I could open a toner cartridge package for her. (I've got a rep as the guy that can open things and close things.) I flicked out my very lil' Kershaw, made quick work of all the thick seals, repocketed the knife, and handed back the toner. Only then did I notice the scardy-cat eyes as she squeaked out "...I don't think you should have that..."    

I calmly explained that her beloved company rules specifically allowed that small pocket knife.

She left in a rush, hugging the toner cartridge to her chest like a talisman. I sighed, found the policy, highlighted the applicable section, and emailed it to her before she could get the Rent-a-SWAT wannabes in Security all excited. I heard nothing more, but another manager did hand me the same toner package to install in the printer.  ;^)'

• 3 months later...

kershaw-launch-auto-blk-7800blk-cm-thumb.jpg
Kershaw Automatic Launch 6.  Great steel, great ergos, thin and strong, with excellent reviews.  On sale for $115.  My first Automatic and "Dark Places" knife.   A VERY nice knife. Well constructed, balanced, sharp and solid. It feels very good in the hand. After practicing my draw, it's *almost* as fast as my Leek. Guts Amazon boxes like nobody's bidness. I like it a lot.

But, the bastard is BIG.  Wouldn't think an extra 3/4" would make that much of a difference: It does. When the heavy blade flicks out and locks, it's a challenge to hold on. Then again, it's size, heft and sturdiness would serve very well as a utility knife; just not a carry knife. I'm going to continue to work with it, see if I can come to some accommodation. 

But, gotta say - Kershaw has built a truly outstanding knife.

1 hour ago, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

kershaw-launch-auto-blk-7800blk-cm-thumb.jpg
Kershaw Automatic Launch 6.  Great steel, great ergos, thin and strong, with excellent reviews.  On sale for $115.  My first Automatic and "Dark Places" knife.   A VERY nice knife. Well constructed, balanced, sharp and solid. It feels very good in the hand. After practicing my draw, it's *almost* as fast as my Leek. Guts Amazon boxes like nobody's bidness. I like it a lot.

But, the bastard is BIG.  Wouldn't think an extra 3/4" would make that much of a difference: It does. When the heavy blade flicks out and locks, it's a challenge to hold on. Then again, it's size, heft and sturdiness would serve very well as a utility knife; just not a carry knife. I'm going to continue to work with it, see if I can come to some accommodation. 

But, gotta say - Kershaw has built a truly outstanding knife.

Neat! I checked it out on Blade HQ. 

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-Launch-6-Automatic-Knife-3--34418

I have dozens of knives, but have only had two favorites.

The first was a Gerber Mk.II that I bought in an Exchange on Okinawa to take to 'Nam with me.  The blade was offset about 5 degrees in order to facilitate carrying it on chest gear....NOT to make it slip under ribs to reach the heart as some idiots told me.

It was an early double edged leaf blade without serrations and it fit my hand like a separate finger.  I gave it to my clerk when I left Vietnam, expecting to find another along the way.  I never did.  The ones I found were serrated straight blades with price tags that could buy a school bus and really peculiar color schemes

My current favorite is a custom 7 1/2' "Bowie" style given to me by Long Line Charlie Glackman just before he died in 2012.  It has a single edged "Damascus" blade that I think he told me was made from a piece of Otis Elevator cable.  It is beautiful and holds an edge like no other knife I ever owned.  He put an antler one-piece handle on it and some attractive "file jimping" on the upper rear half of the blade.  He sent it in a crappy sheath that he told me he just used to ship it in.  Right after I got it my it 10 year old my grandson was fiddling around in the kitchen and came up with a scroll design which now adorns a custom H&H Leather sheath that complements the knife perfectly.

It's bigger than I usually prefer, but I carry it whenever I'm out and around in our local boonies.....and sometimes when I'm just running around town showing off.

34 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I have dozens of knives, but have only had two favorites.

The fist was a Gerber Mk.II that I bought in an Exchange on Okinawa to take to 'Nam with me.  The blade was offset about 5 degrees in order to facilitate carrying it on chest gear....NOT to make it slip under ribs to reach the heart as some idiots told me.

It was an early double edged leaf blade without serrations and it fit my hand like a separate finger.  I gave it to my clerk when I left Vietnam, expecting to find another along the way.  I never did.  The ones I found were serrated straight blades with price tags that could buy a school bus. and really peculiar color schemes

My current favorite is a custom 7 1/2' "Bowie" style given to me by Long Line Charlie Glackman just before he died in 2012.  It has a single edged "Damascus" blade that I think he told me was made from a piece of Otis Elevator cable.  It is beautiful and holds an edge like no other knife I ever owned.  He put an antler one-piece handle on it and some attractive "file jimping" on the upper rear half of the blade.  He sent it in a crappy sheath that he told me he just use to ship it in.  Right after I got it my it 10 year old my grandson was fiddling around in the kitchen and came up with a scroll design which now adorns a custom H&H Leather sheath that complements the knife perfectly.

It's bigger than I usually prefer, but I carry it whenever I'm out and around in our local boonies.....and sometimes when I'm just running around town showing off.

A favorite of mine.  The knife on top is the Anniversary recreation of the original, angled blade, wasp waist, sprayed molten steel on the aluminum handle.  The lower knife is the first revision to follow the original, toughened up a bit, serrated and a little larger.  Gerber also made and sold a large steel sharpener with a chisel edge to be used as a punch, prybar, etc. to help keep the knives intact for combat, have a couple of those somewhere .  Never carried either of these, but have a well worn Mark I with the early green handle which I carried for years and still do in rare occasions.

DSC_0595.JPG

DSC_0596.JPG

9 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

A favorite of mine.  The knife on top is the Anniversary recreation of the original, angled blade, wasp waist, sprayed molten steel on the aluminum handle.  The lower knife is the first revision to follow the original, toughened up a bit, serrated and a little larger.  Gerber also made and sold a large steel sharpener with a chisel ecge to be used as a punch, prybar, etc. to help keep the knives intact for combat, have a couple of those somewhere .  Never carried either of these, but have a well worn Mark I with the early green handle which I carried for years and still do in rare occasions.

DSC_0595.JPG

DSC_0596.JPG

I want to be included in your will.  (Is my jealousy showing?)

The newer models just never struck my fancy.....and my fancy has been strucken (it's real word now!) a lot over the years.

I suppose you're gonna tease me more with the original sheath and included sharpening stone, too.

1 minute ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I want to be included in your will.  (Is my jealousy showing?)

The newer models just never struck my fancy.....and my fancy has been strucken (it's real word now!) a lot over the years.

I suppose you're gonna tease me more with the original sheath and included sharpening stone, too.

Nope, though I can parade the several kinds of sharpeners - I think I have 4 different ones, and the Mark 1.  At one point I had nearly every variation, but there was something expensive I wanted, I believe a custom, and the others went.  They can still be found on line, though the prices are amazing.

7 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Nope, though I can parade the several kinds of sharpeners - I think I have 4 different ones, and the Mark 1.  At one point I had nearly every variation, but there was something expensive I wanted, I believe a custom, and the others went.  They can still be found on line, though the prices are amazing.

I had a Gerber Mk.I boot knife. I never cared much for it and it got traded off somewhere down the line.

• 2 weeks later...

I can stop any time I want to....

Kershaw Launch 11.  100 bones at my LGP.  My new EDC. 

Kershaw Launch 11 Automatic Knife Black Aluminum (2.75" Blackwash) 7550
Good steel, great ergos, excellent balance, right size.  Verrah Nice. 

This was my "Get off me knife" for 17 years as a Field Parole Agent. Cold Steel Culloden

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/UyYAAOSwjBdgOZOj/s-l300.jpg

Archived