SASS Wire Forum

All Things Pokey

Uno Mas  SASS #80082

Hallow the Fire!

Hey pards and pardettes; it's been a mite... work, the Florida rancho, reloaders and modern unloaders, dawg, Calamity :wub:, other distractions...  Slowly getting back into the Great Game (Who could have guessed that Trail Boss would be unobtainium, and would likely be so for another two years?) (Who could have guessed that the leather has shrunk over the years.  ;)

Anywho, one of the recent distractions has been pokey things. I like my Kershaw Ken Onion Leek one or two (maybe three) whole lots, and it's been my constant companion for years.  However, just recently I got introduced to the fascinating (and immense) world beyond my Kershaws, Swiss Army Knives and Buck 110. Types, manufactures, steels, grinds, sellers, prices!, etc., etc., etc... The works of art you can hold in your hand - and open cardboard boxes and those thrice-damned plastic blister packs.  

Latest obsession: the CRKT Ken Onion Swindle. It speaks to my desiccated soul.  

CRKT Ken Onion Swindle Knife Folder (3.2" Satin) K240XXP

That's a long way of saying "What knives do the greatest people in the whole, wide, wild, wild Interwebz world consider cool and worthy of a chaw 'round the fire?"   Just neat, no need to restrict the lyin' to EDC or social knives. (Just bought a Lakota Lil' Hawk for my Git Home Bag. Never held such a sturdy, capable, soul-satisfyingly working knife.)  A bit of tips or education would certainly go a long way.  

Good to be back.  

Uno

I like all sorts of knives, from the legendary Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife, to different bowies, etc... I've got a small collection, no more than a dozen, but for most anything other than trying to defend myself, I remain a fan of Swiss Army Knives. During deployment and in the field, I used my Swiss Army Knife that I kept dummy corded to a belt loop far more often than the issued Gerber multi-tool.

My biggest challenge with any knife has always been getting a satisfactory edge on it. I can follow directions given with stones, or in videos or wherever to a T, and the edge is still... Meh. My brother on the other hand can take one for a few minutes and shave arm hair.

Been an enthusiast since I was a boy.  If you get to Golden, Colorado take the time to visit Spyderco.  My latest favorite is a dandy Spyderco with Titanium scales, holds an edge wonderfully well.  My Wife isn't a knife person, but she liked it so well I bought her the same knife in the smallest size which she carries in her purse!

61mT2Dk9iJL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Sarge, A tacticool buddy intro'd me to the Victorinox Swiss Army One-Hand Trekker Multi-Tool Pocket Knife, the supersized Swiss Army Knife.  Heard this is in the pockets of a lot of people that do know better.  Plus, the Swiss Army emblem is disarming if someone who shouldn't see it - sees it. It has replaced my multi-tool in my pocket.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZQ80H2/

Is there a way to easily shrink the size of the photo?

Several pocket knives rotate through here, all with carbon [non-stainless] blades cause  if edge holding qualities. Mostly Case with a stry Schrade. A Cold Steel Gunsite Tanto rides in my other pocket when I am not CCW. A Victorinox Super Tinker and a Craftsman multi tool are in the truck console.

My all time favorite site to look at knives is:   Bearbone Knives   by Rick Bearbone Smith.  I don't own one, but am seriously thinking about it.

https://www.bearbone.com/gallery.html

Horace

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I used to be a knife junkie for edc knives , every since I got this one I haven’t had the desire to buy anything else. It looks goofy but it’s extremely functional/handy 

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=707

Handled that one, very good like all their knives and I have three, but didn't work for me.  They have a great catalog!

8 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Handled that one, very good like all their knives and I have three, but didn't work for me.  They have a great catalog!

Knives are a very individual thing , it’s simply amazing how many different models and variations of models their are . I was tempted by a Kershaw launch 13 . Since they have been legalized in Michigan I’ve always wanted a “switch blade” but not sure I need it , I can easily open and close the Yojimbo with one hand .  

On 2/12/2022 at 10:23 AM, DocWard said:

My biggest challenge with any knife has always been getting a satisfactory edge on it. I can follow directions given with stones, or in videos or wherever to a T, and the edge is still... Meh. My brother on the other hand can take one for a few minutes and shave arm hair.

Hear yah, Doc.  I'm horrid at sharpening blades. 

When we were in St Loo, Calamity swiped the Buck 110 I used and abused when I was an industrial electrician putting myself through college. She took it to a knife shop owned by an ancient member of the German Knife Sharpeners Guild. The old man restored the battered blade and put the finest working edge I've ever seen on that old warrior. 

Since then, I leave the sharpening to the pros.  

I do well sharpening, but was taught at a young age.  A great device if they are still made, is the Buck, or maybe (Gerber)collapsible diamond hone.  About the size of a slim pen when collapsed. Used carefully does a great job.  They do eventually mostly wear out.

I've carried a 965 PUMA Deer Hunter for 50+ years.

I've used it to do everything from opening boxes and Church collection envelopes to cleaning deer, moose and my fingernails.

I carry it all the time.

Even before I retired, it lived in my pocket when I was at work and on my belt on the weekends.

Hard steel and keeps a good edge. I use a Spyderco Tri-angle Sharpmaker to keep it sharp. I find it idiot proof, which is good for this idiot!

FYI I carried a Wayne Goddard signed Spyderco for years.  A great knife which I had used for all sorts of tasks.  When I visited their headquarters in Golden, they sharpened, polished and generally refurbed it for a pittance, been a while and prices may have gone up, but I think it was $18.  It has honorably retired to the zip case it came in.  If you get there bring your favorite Spiderco.  It was money well spent.

6 hours ago, Stump Water said:

For sharpening... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08VD8ZGFZ/

It'll get any knife sharp enough to split electrons.  Even the stainless Damascus kitchen knives.

Don't get the Ken Onion edition unless you just want to pay 2x more.

Those things are great if you want to ruin a perfectly good knife. 

I like my Lansky system. 

13 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Those things are great if you want to ruin a perfectly good knife. 

If you ruin a knife with it then you don't know how to use it.  And you'd have to try really hard.

So I'll posit you've never used one.

Just now, Stump Water said:

If you ruin a knife with it then you don't know how to use it.  And you'd have to try really hard.

Yes, I have and I know how to use it. They move too fast and one little slip will wipe out the tip of a knife or cause you to have to start over. 
If you like them good for you. They are not a good machine for someone starting out, that’s for sure. 

My work daily carry is a Buck 110 folder I picked up at a sale for $5. A most useful knife. My personal daily carry is a Benchmade. A great knife!

20220213_110942.jpg

20220213_110955.jpg

29 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

My work daily carry is a Buck 110 folder I picked up at a sale for $5. A most useful knife. My personal daily carry is a Benchmade. A great knife!

20220213_110942.jpg

20220213_110955.jpg

Benchmade has become one of my favorite brands.

2 hours ago, Stump Water said:

By the way, I am not trying to start an argument. I just don’t agree with you. 
If there were a perfect knife sharpening system then there would be only one, but there are many. Use what works for you. And we can agree to disagree…or not. Either way, you like that system. I do not. ;)

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

20220213_110942.jpg

20220213_110955.jpg

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Benchmade has become one of my favorite brands.

I agree. I have a Griptilian and a Mini Griptilian. Very good knives. I do daily carry a CRKT M16 mostly because of LA county idiotic knife laws. I won’t lose my Benchmade to an over zealous cop. Knives can only be 2” in LA city and 3” LA county. But, I don’t carry a knife, I carry a tool. ;)

Handled some Benchmade knives. They just didn't seem to be worth the significantly greater price. 

How wrong am I?  And why?    

On me right now: Buck-lite mini, CRKT M16-02S Classic and a Leatherman Wave ll. On the key ring is the CRKT Knife maintenance tool for blade touch up and IF I need to adjust/tighten any screws.  I really like my discontinued Benchmade Mel Pardue folder, but I can’t replace it if lost or stolen. :(

33 minutes ago, Uno Mas SASS #80082 said:

Handled some Benchmade knives. They just didn't seem to be worth the significantly greater price. 

How wrong am I?  And why?    

Well, you aren’t wrong if that’s how you feel, but I can tell you they are tough, robust and they hold an edge. 

I bought my first one, Mini Griptilian, in January of 2005. I still have it and after many many sharpenings the blade is darn near the size it was when it was new. That’s good steel. 
Both of mine are made in USA. There for a short while they had Chinese made knives at a much cheaper price but I think they stopped that. 

They did…in 2010. 
https://www.knifemanual.com/benchmade-knives-where-are-they-manufactured-and-made/

I'm nowhere near organized as @Utah Bob #35998.

I've got fixed and folders on desks, nightstands and in various drawers around the house.

This old (~1995, or older) Buck with a re-profiled point after trying to use it as a pry bar.

Buck.thumb.png.030a07c451068588069435c464eb108f.png

Really fond of this Kershaw 1596 Spec Bump I started carrying in 2006/7.

2054938137_Kershaw1.thumb.png.c5924800be9a057d0c686a5b3c8883ce.png

The latest Kershaw's that I carry; an 18700LBLK Knockout and 1600 Chive (money clip).

1651430732_Kershaw2.thumb.png.8382e254a67fb2f3851a342f490eabea.png

When the need or desire for a fixed blade hits me.

Fixed.thumb.png.1e529d15d82ca97e1e9671dfc3d53900.png

These don't really get carried, but one never knows if I have one close at hand.

1305938180_Misc1.thumb.png.520a7eb6fc2845ec6bfd18f889173919.png

51404920_Misc2.thumb.png.f4c7471a4d961b2c977198a124dbd91f.png 

Archived