SASS Wire Forum

Long Rang side match site options

El CupAJoe

Anyone using their Rossi 92 for long range competitions?  I'm pretty okay with the factory sites at 100 yards and in, but I haven't tried them further out.  if you're using a rossi, what are your opinions about the factory sights and what options are out there that might be better suited for dealing with drop at range etc.  I know the receiver and bolt mounted sights are not allowed.  Thanks in advance.

I am just starting down this path. You don't state what "long range" is. At Bordertown the ranges were 50 yards for pistol, 100 yards for pistol-caliber rifle, 150 yards for the rifle-caliber rifle, 160-ish yards for the Quigley Bucket, and 320-ish yards for the long range gong. I think you would only be able to use the Rossi on the pistol-caliber rifle match and that's 100 yards.

Most pistol caliber LR are to about 100, maybe 125. At those ranges you’d buckhorn ought to work ok, just have to get it sighted in properly.  You did not mention caliber. But at 100 yds not a huge drop. I normally shoot 38sp,  I thought maybe 357 mag would be better for LR. It really didn’t matter all that much out to 100 yds. The key thing to remember is all bullets drop at same rate.  32fps squared. The difference is the amount of time it takes a bullet to get from muzzle to target. A faster Bullet just has less time for gravity to effect it. 

the KS state championship/classic cowboy match states long range out to 400 yards, but I'm guessing they have closer targets for the pistol caliber stuff.  Mine is in .357 magnum, but I can load my 200 grain lee bullet long and still get decent velocity from it... looks like a 90 yard zero would require about 0.3 inches of adjustment to adjust for the drop at 400... 

Unless the rules are different from Bordertown you may not be able to use the repeater. As I understand it, the proper rifle has to be used, as a repeater vs a single shot would give you a time advantage. The long range match at Bordertown was single shot only from what I saw. Again, I am just getting into this so I am still asking questions and learning as I go.

I should add that the long range events were six or seven different events.

Pistol

Pistol caliber rifle 

Rifle caliber rifle

Single shot rifle

Single shot rifle - blackpowder

Quigley Bucket

Take No Prisoners - All weapons used

I have a MARBLES tang sight on mine and have shot it to 250 yards with some hot ammo loaded with W296.  Leave the tang sight folded down when shooting at shorter distances.  When I shot the rifle at a public shooting range and rang gongs at 200 yards the range master was dumbfounded that a .357 would shoot that far.

Every long range side match is different and depends on the available distances in use. I have seen single shot, both smokeless and black powder, I have seen rifle caliber lever action and pistol caliber over action, as well as long range pistol. All depends on the club running the match. Best to get info directly from the match you will be attending. 

5 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

the KS state championship/classic cowboy match states long range out to 400 yards, but I'm guessing they have closer targets for the pistol caliber stuff.  Mine is in .357 magnum, but I can load my 200 grain lee bullet long and still get decent velocity from it... looks like a 90 yard zero would require about 0.3 inches of adjustment to adjust for the drop at 400... 

At the Kansas state match long range side match,, Pistol caliber is at 100 and 200 yards. Big bore lever is at 200 and 300 yards. Big bore single is at 300 and 400 yards. Buffalo bore is at 300 and 400 yards

I have used my '73 in  44wcf  to ring steel out to 300 yds.   10 shots    10 hits.   But the 44wcf is a rifle caliber round.     205 gr  rnfp    just wanted to see if i would be able to take a deer at that range,  if one was silly enough to present it's self.   mainly hunt the wooded areas near the house, but have seen a few on clear cuts and across hay fields.   now i KNOW i can Ma Bell one.  

On 2/11/2022 at 3:39 PM, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I have a MARBLES tang sight on mine and have shot it to 250 yards with some hot ammo loaded with W296.  Leave the tang sight folded down when shooting at shorter distances.  When I shot the rifle at a public shooting range and rang gongs at 200 yards the range master was dumbfounded that a .357 would shoot that far.

A Marbles or a Lyman #2 tang site are perfect for what you want. I’ve used both on 44mag carbines. Personally, I’d go with the Marbles because it has a windage adjustment, while the Lyman needs shimmed to tip it slightly for windage. 

What I ended up doing was sighting  in for 100 yards. Then for main match I’d remove the aperture but leave the tang sight in place. The large threaded opening became like a ghost ring peep sight. It forced me to keep my head down, and my rifle speeds got faster with fewer misses. 

For giggles I’d then put the aperture back in, lay on some Kentucky elevation for 200-300 yards, and ring more steel. Long range pistol carbines are a lot of fun. 

I’m with @Charlie Harley, #14153,  My Uberti ‘73 in 357 Mag has a Marbles tang Sight and a Beech front sight.  Combination blade and globe like some original Winchesters.  I also run the Marbles tang sights on my ‘92’s in 25-20 and 44 Mag.

If you come to Fall Roundup in Milan IL, here is what to expect:

50-Yard Pistol – One pistol loaded with 5 rounds, held at low ready. Five rounds will be timed. Pistol cleared and reloaded off the clock. Second five rounds timed. Scoring on number of hits, total time used as the tie breaker.

100-Yard Rifle, Pistol Caliber (main match rifle) – Rifle loaded with 10 rounds, at the ready. Ten rounds will be timed. Scoring will be on number of hits, time used as the tie breaker.

100-Yard Rifle, Rifle Caliber (lead bullets only) – Rifle loaded with 5 rounds, held at the ready. Five rounds will be timed. Rifle cleared and reloaded off the clock. Second five rounds timed. Scoring will be on number of hits, total time used as the tie breaker.

Long Range, approximately 285 yards – Single shot and/or lever. Two sighting shots will be allowed. 10 rounds, scored on hits, time used as the tie breaker.

Chancy

12 hours ago, Seven said:

I have used my '73 in  44wcf  to ring steel out to 300 yds.   10 shots    10 hits.   But the 44wcf is a rifle caliber round.     205 gr  rnfp    just wanted to see if i would be able to take a deer at that range,  if one was silly enough to present it's self.   mainly hunt the wooded areas near the house, but have seen a few on clear cuts and across hay fields.   now i KNOW i can Ma Bell one.  

In this game, including side matches, it's a pistol round. The .44-40 is legal for long range pistol caliber lever action, but not long range rifle caliber lever action or long range precision single shot or buffalo single shot. It IS ok for Plainsman events in an appropriate single shot rifle.

Many years ago, we used to shoot long range pistol cal lever action out to 400 or 450 yards - not a lot of folks connected with the gong at those ranges with a main match rifle. :lol: In more recent years, I don't think I've seen anything beyond 150 yards for pistol cal. At those ranges, the stock ramp sight will work fine. If you want a little more precision, mount a Marbles or Lyman #2 on the tang. 

For long range rifle cal lever action, I put an MVA Soule, w/Hadley eyecup, and bubble level front globe on a Marlin 1895 Cowboy last year, and ran 10 for 10 with it both times I competed with it. I just ordered another MVA Vernier sight, a #130, for a .22LR Little Sharps. :) MVA is tough to beat if you go with a Vernier. ;)

1895.jpg

Archived