SASS Wire Forum

Progressive reloader question

Randingo

Forgot to mention. No matter which machine you buy, buy extra primer tubes (lrg and sm) and LED light(s). You'll use 100 primers in 10 - 15 minutes. I have 10 of each kind so I don't run out of primers before I run out of attention span. Doesn't make any sense to buy a machine that will make 600+ an hour if you have to fill primer tubes every 100 rounds. The light I have for the 550 is an LED light that fits in the center hole. There are various different kinds of LED lights made though.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Forgot to mention. No matter which machine you buy, buy extra primer tubes (lrg and sm) and LED light(s). You'll use 100 primers in 10 - 15 minutes. I have 10 of each kind so I don't run out of primers before I run out of attention span. Doesn't make any sense to buy a machine that will make 600+ an hour if you have to fill primer tubes every 100 rounds. The light I have for the 550 is an LED light that fits in the center hole. There are various different kinds of LED lights made though.

THIS^^^

13 hours ago, Randingo said:

I am tired of using my single stage and looking at a Dillon.  The Square Deal B looks like a good option but never having one I was curious what those of you running them thought.   Other options???

Thanks!!!

My first reloading press was a Square Deal.  I ran it as a single stage until I felt comfortable with how it operated as a progressive press.  Because of my limited bench space and wanting to start loading rifle calibers I sold it.  I replaced the Square Deal with a Dillon 650 XL.  If I had it to do all over again I would do the same.

Is Dillon the best?  I don't know but Dillon done right by me!

P.S.  I found the Square Deal easy to setup and adjust, the 650 XL was more complicated (and frustrating for me) to setup and tune. 

12 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

@watab kid maybe consider a turret press like the Lee. You can store the loaded turrets easily and caliber change is a breeze. And you can set it up to run like a single stage or self-indexing.

I like my Lee Auto Breachlock pro.  if you think a dillion is for you I'm not going to tell you to get a Lee instead, but if you want a press that's faster than a turret and more flexible than your average progressive, the ABLP is a pretty nice deal. you can mix and match dies without losing settings, large to small primer swap takes longer to describe than perform.  I'm working on a shell holder adapter so it can become a one press solution for progressive loading, 

I use both SDB's and 550B's, don't like case feeders.  My setup will keep up with up to 6 people shooting 2 matches per month.  SDB works great for pistol ammo.  550B works for both rifle and pistol (SDB is limited on dies).  I also use a RCBS single stage.   The 550B can be used as a progressive or single stage.  550C is good maybe the best Dillon. IMHO!!  By the way I am set in my way and 76 years young.

16 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

@watab kid maybe consider a turret press like the Lee. You can store the loaded turrets easily and caliber change is a breeze. And you can set it up to run like a single stage or self-indexing.

i actually have a friend who has offered me one as well as a single stage , im going to look at them tonight , 

I have the 650 w/case feeder and like it a lot. I do use Lee dies and the factory crimp die. I load .380 and .45acp on dedicated SDB's. I would opt for a 650 or 750 with a case feeder. In one or two hours you can have a crapload loaded.

On 2/10/2022 at 8:03 PM, Rip Snorter said:

- IMO you need both a SS and a Progressive.

I second this idea.. 90% of my reloading is for .38spc on an SDB. I reload brass shot shell and rifle on a Rock Chucker and small batches of .44 spc & mag, 9mm, .45acp on a lee turret press.

If I loaded quantities of different calibers I would go with a 750 or possibly an extra SDB or two dedicated to one caliber each.

I like auto indexing. Some people don't. Personal choice.

Automatic bullet feed is nice but I've heard it doesn't play well with lead bullets. I believe the lube gums them up?? Those with experience can elaborate.

In my experience the primer feed on the Lee progressives is so atrocious that they would not be a consideration. And yes I owned one. I bought the parts to turn it into a turret press which works nicely if you prime OFF the press.

Hogleg

I'll reiterate the common sentiment. I have a T-Mag Turret and  have extra turrets so i can quickly switch calibers. It is a good setup, but the repetitive strokes on the handle were heck on my arthritic shoulders. I'm not one to just drink the blue Kool-Aid without making my own decisions.  

But, I came to the realization that if I didn't do something to make the reloading process easier on my arms, I'd have to limit my ammo making. 

I bought a used 550, and started reloading. I load for many calibers and if there is one failing of the 550 is that changing from small to larger primers is a righteous pain in the butt. Therefore I added a second 550, this time a newer 550B. 

I also purchased a kit to convert the 550 into a single stage. This does increase the flexibility of the press. The 550 has some pretty impressive mechanical advantage, after all it does all 4 operations at once. 

I'd suggest buying a B or a C as the ability to lube easily is important. Without lube a press will wear out quickly. Be careful buying used, there are turkeys out there. Dillon warranty is good, but in some instances you will have to ship it in for repair. Shipping from a foreign country is a hassle. 

The Dillon powder measures are IMHO, a decent measure. Some powders will drop with a bit of variance, but for the most part they work better than any of the common measures out there. 

My next project id to make a shelf/cupboard for all the heads to keep the different calibers sorted. 

BB

This was my misc and shotgun bench, first came the right 550, then the left 550. To make room the MECs were removed and remounted, the Summit was sold, as was the RCBS Jr and the Tru-Line Jr was tossed in the corner. If you start from a clean slate, plan on 2 presses, seems like that is what happens anyway, might as well plan for it. I am a very disorganized and messy person, a bit of attention deficit doesn't help. A bit more space between machines would be nice, what I have now is minimal. I can operate 1 shotgun press at a time. This bench has been repurposed several times, it started out and is still used to store crankshafts. 

20220213_162238.thumb.jpg.501a543f5333133cd8d7ff65a730cbfe.jpg

20220213_162300.thumb.jpg.69c1e80a9faacfaf7b3cc0bf10319d0c.jpg

1 hour ago, "Big Boston" said:

My next project id to make a shelf/cupboard for all the heads to keep the different calibers sorted. 

BB

Consider a toolhead organizer.

19 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Consider a toolhead organizer.

I know you are presenting options to a fellow shooter but.....

At $110 each (delivered) for something to organize 3 toolheads I will have to pass. :wacko:

BB you may try finding a similar bench to mine. Try a google search for "KenCraft 5 drawer reloading bench" several pictures, auctions etc.

Has a nice heavy butcher block top that currently has a 550 and a 650 on either end with room to work in the middle

The drawers on my (reloading specific) bench are deep enough to lay my extra 550 toolheads (with dies only) on edge and the drawer could hold 5 across x 5 deep.

My 650/750 extras lay at an angle in the drawer, and if I had that many, would hold 4 across x 4 deep.

The ones I use somewhat regularly are on top of the bench on dillon stands (with some extra powder measures)  (357, 45 colt, 9mm, 10mm, C45S)

The ones I am actually using are on the machines. Currently on the 550 - 223, 750 - 38 special, 650 - 45 ACP

Conversion kits have their own drawer along with any die sets not in a tool head.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

I have a SDB (pistol rounds only) here at the house  that I have used for a long time.  Still runs flawlessly and can be described as a need item, not a want item.  I also have a 550 at a buddy's house that is for rifle rounds, he cranks out a whole bunch of rifle rounds.  He has stated that pursuant to common law of the shooting world, since he has had it in his possession for at least a decade it is now legally his.   I am beginning to wonder???

Great products, great warranty and worth every dollar.

I watched a Dillon-sponsored video on unboxing and setting up an XL750. Having owned a Hornady LnL AP gradually built up to include an electric case feeder, it seems to me that the Hornady is less demanding that a case feeder be added. That would mean an easier entry into progressive reloading, when budget constraints are in effect, or it seems difficult to accept just how much  of an investment reloading can entail. Both machines are within dollars of the same for the basic machine, although the Hornady does not include an initial caliber setup, dies, etc.

Howdy

When I looked into buying a progressive press years ago I decided that it was less expensive to go with the Hornady Lock and Load AP than buy a Dillon. I load a bunch of different calibers, and it was much more expensive to buy Dillon tool heads for each caliber than to buy extra Hornady collets for my dies. I really like the quick change features of the Hornady without the expense of multiple tool heads. I like the Hornady machine so much I have two of them. I keep one set up for large pistol primers and one set up for small pistol primers. The large primers machine gets used the most, loading 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 44-40, 44 Russian, and 38-40.

I kept my single stage press for 45-70.

You don't hear about the press I used for many years in Bullseye, and for a bit in IPSC.  CH Pistol Champ.  Very user friendly and you can see into the case with ease.  Got the 550 one Christmas from my Wife & Parents and gave that to my son.  Never had a more foolproof, easy to set up press.  I'd imagine they can be found for not a lot of money.

looks to be a good setup  to me , 

11 hours ago, Brandon A Bovine SASS 27688 said:

I like my old model pro-jector  

4C1376C2-5C81-4989-82ED-DBB722FB352E.jpeg

looks to be a good setup to me , i load all my rifle/pistol on a single stage turret lyman and all my rifle on a single stage rock chucker , 

im looking at both the mec 600 and mec900  i was given the other night and think ill replace my now gone hornaday 366 with the single stage 600 to start i just  dont shoot that much shotgun these days other than cowboy stuff and if i decide to i still have the progressive to move on to , 

I use a Rockchucker for bigger than pistol caliber, have a Dillon SL900 and an older Hornaday single stage loader for shot shells.  Recently got a Lee APP for bullet sizing and case prep.

I absolutely love the quality, productivity, ease of set up and caliber change over of my Hornady Lock N Load progressive, but there are too many blue Kool-Aid drinkers here for this comment to get any momentum.

On 2/11/2022 at 4:22 AM, Cypress Sun said:

Forgot to mention. No matter which machine you buy, buy extra primer tubes ... Doesn't make any sense to buy a machine that will make 600+ an hour if you have to fill primer tubes every 100 rounds. 

600+ an hour less the time to fill 6 tubes is how many per hour?  I like the time spent sitting down and filling a tube every 100 rounds!  And I drink blue Kool-Aid.

Fordyce

30 minutes ago, Fordyce Beals said:

600+ an hour less the time to fill 6 tubes is how many per hour?  I like the time spent sitting down and filling a tube every 100 rounds!  And I drink blue Kool-Aid.

Fordyce

Different bites for different likes. Reloading is not my favorite thing to do so the sooner I'm done, the better. I also like to keep the repetitive motion going, less chance of a mistake that way.;)

I'm blue through and through.

For the record though, Jim Jones at Jonestown was too cheap to buy Kool-Aid. He used Flavor Aid.

On 2/13/2022 at 11:23 AM, "Big Boston" said:

I'll reiterate the common sentiment. I have a T-Mag Turret and  have extra turrets so i can quickly switch calibers. It is a good setup, but the repetitive strokes on the handle were heck on my arthritic shoulders. I'm not one to just drink the blue Kool-Aid without making my own decisions.  

But, I came to the realization that if I didn't do something to make the reloading process easier on my arms, I'd have to limit my ammo making. 

I bought a used 550, and started reloading. I load for many calibers and if there is one failing of the 550 is that changing from small to larger primers is a righteous pain in the butt. Therefore I added a second 550, this time a newer 550B. 

I also purchased a kit to convert the 550 into a single stage. This does increase the flexibility of the press. The 550 has some pretty impressive mechanical advantage, after all it does all 4 operations at once. 

I'd suggest buying a B or a C as the ability to lube easily is important. Without lube a press will wear out quickly. Be careful buying used, there are turkeys out there. Dillon warranty is good, but in some instances you will have to ship it in for repair. Shipping from a foreign country is a hassle. 

The Dillon powder measures are IMHO, a decent measure. Some powders will drop with a bit of variance, but for the most part they work better than any of the common measures out there. 

BB

This was my misc and shotgun bench, first came the right 550, then the left 550. To make room the MECs were removed and remounted, the Summit was sold, as was the RCBS Jr and the Tru-Line Jr was tossed in the corner. If you start from a clean slate, plan on 2 presses, seems like that is what happens anyway, might as well plan for it. I am a very disorganized and messy person, a bit of attention deficit doesn't help. A bit more space between machines would be nice, what I have now is minimal. I can operate 1 shotgun press at a time. This bench has been repurposed several times, it started out and is still used to store crankshafts. 

20220213_162238.thumb.jpg.501a543f5333133cd8d7ff65a730cbfe.jpg

20220213_162300.thumb.jpg.69c1e80a9faacfaf7b3cc0bf10319d0c.jpg

Velcro a battery operated fish tank air pump to the lid of the Dillion powder measure tighten up the powder drop variance.

The 1st reloading press I bought was in 2010 & it was a XL650 with 45 Colt dies, low primer alarm, powder charge alarm, bullet tray & strong mount.  After loading 600 rounds I decided it needed an automatic case feeder.  Having to reload the case feed tube every 14 lever pulls was a POA & I found that anything that interrupts a steady rhythm causes production errors.  So, I sprung for a Dillon case feeder.  Since, then I have purchased the disc's for all the calibers I reload on it.  As I acquired more firearms I bought caliber change kits, tool heads, powder die & 2 sets of Lee dies for calibers I load on the XL650.  The calibers I load on the XL650 are: 30 Carbine, 380ACP, 9mm Luger, 38 Special*, 357M*, 40S&W, 10mm, 45ACP, 223/5.56x45 & 308.  I also bought a 2nd priming system to simplify prime size changeovers.  Within the 1st year of starting reloading I bought a Lee Challenger Breech Lock single stage press kit.  The 2nd set of dies are for load development & fixing rounds I bugger on the XL650.

*I bought a non Dillion tool head that is two piece to switch between case lengths.

P.S.  I use an Windows app that you can determine the differences between parts two conversion kits; so, you can save money by not having duplicates of conversion parts.  I think I found it on Brian Enos's website.  I might buy a Lee APP too speed up de-priming for wet tumbling & priming for loading low volume calibers on the single stage press.

• 1 month later...

I load 4 calibers on an SDB. As a rule I average 200rds. / hour.

All calibers are in their own toolheads and I have 2 primer feeders.

Never timed it, but guessing only 5-10 minutes to change caliber.

I have a D 550 mostly for 45-70 & 38-55, a D 750  that is 38sp only. Both fine presses. I also have a Lee Turret fir everything else. Quick caliber changes. Simple to operate. I can knock out 100+ in < 1 hr. Way. Cheaper than a Dillon. 
mic I could only have one press it would be the Lee Classic Turret. 

On 2/17/2022 at 6:07 PM, Fordyce Beals said:

Fordyce

With prep, filling tubes, checking powder and bullet every 30-50rds or so, etc... I can casually do around 400 an hour. If I'm grooving to some music and get in sync and don't have any bad cases, I've done 500 in an hour. I have a good system for loading primer tubes manually. Using CCI primers really speeds it up too as they all come flat in the same orientation. 

On 2/17/2022 at 4:42 PM, Dutch Wheeler said:

I absolutely love the quality, productivity, ease of set up and caliber change over of my Hornady Lock N Load progressive, but there are too many blue Kool-Aid drinkers here for this comment to get any momentum.

I don't doubt the Hornady is nice and would work in any application. I already have a 550 though, so next press will be a 750. Personally if I'm running an auto index I'm also going to be running a case feeder. The one thing I don't like about the LNL is that the case goes into the shellplate on the same side as the bullet goes on, so you have to do two operations with the same hand. On my 550 and on the 750(w/out casefeeder), you can load a bullet with the left hand as you put a new case on with the right hand. Makes for a faster and more efficient process. 

I'm not retired, and I have a kid, so reloading efficiently is my top priority behind safety. Having a 750 setup with casefeeder is going to be a nice addition to knock out 9mm and .38 quickly. 

I see the auto-index as a feature, not a flaw. The SDB is simple, easy to use and produces great rounds. I also don’t see the disadvantage to  proprietary dies, because I don’t load for anything other than what is available for the SDB( except 32-20).  But, that’s just me.   I have plenty of room in my shop and have SDB’s mounted on the bench in 45Colt, 38Sp, and 44Sp.   Changing calibers is jus a matter of a few steps

Buy some Hornady One Shot.

I've loaded for a long time, never used a case lube for pistol and read on here about the benefits of using Hornady One Shot on my cases.....you will NEVER resize pistol cases again without a spritz of Hornady One Shot on them and your wrist, elbow and shoulder will thank you.

On 2/10/2022 at 6:11 PM, Cholla said:

I drank the blue koolaid three years ago and bought a used 550B. I liked it so well I bought another. One for .45 Colt and the other for .357. I regret nothing.

Me too, except .45 ACP-.39 Sp. back in 2002 and never regretted it.

I know it irks some folks when a conversation about Brand X drifts into a discussion about the merits of Brand Y, but this one is pretty cordial.

I don’t own a Dillon but I have many friends who do.  I think they are great. If I had to replace all of my equipment today with products now available I would take a hard look at a Dillon 750.

It may be difficult for the cowboy shooter who is new to handloading to predict their future needs:  How many cartridges?  Pistol only, or rifle cartridges down the line?  What volume of ammo is needed per month?  Everyone considers to cost of the press, dies and other essential parts and accessories but they may overlook the package price of accessories they might add later.  The cost to change the press over to additional cartridges can vary widely between brands and even models.  Are there considerations other than price?  Absolutely so do your homework in order to make an informed decision.

One war story: We have some new shooters, many of whom are getting into “rolling their own”.  Well, they probably all are but some don’t know it yet.  Anyhow, there’s a fellow about 30 minutes away who buys and resells reloading equipment and components, usually at pretty fair prices.  He posted a Square Deal B set up for .38/.357 and .40 S&W, with some accessories and a pound of pistol powder.  It did not sell right away and he dropped the price to $325.  I told all of the new shooters about it and none of them bit, and someone else got a deal.

On 2/14/2022 at 3:13 AM, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

When I looked into buying a progressive press years ago I decided that it was less expensive to go with the Hornady Lock and Load AP than buy a Dillon. I load a bunch of different calibers, and it was much more expensive to buy Dillon tool heads for each caliber than to buy extra Hornady collets for my dies. I really like the quick change features of the Hornady without the expense of multiple tool heads.

This was the deciding factor for my choice as well.

Any time Driftwood posts something that agrees with my opinion I feel smart!

Archived