SASS Wire Forum

Big match prep?

Shooting Bull

EOT is just a few short days away.  You're about as ready as you can possibly get.  ABOUT as ready as you can get. ;) We all know you can't make vast improvements to your game this close to any match but, what are the last minute things you do to try to ensure you have the best match possible?

1) This is one of the few times I give all my guns a 100% tear down and clean.  I do it a few weeks ahead of time because I want to shoot a couple of local monthly matches with them to make sure I didn't screw them up in the process.

2) My match ammo is loaded and checked but I go back and double even triple check it.

3) I ensure my eye and ear protection isn't damaged.

4) I continue to dry fire practice but not for hours on end.  Kind of like putting the finishing edge on a knife.

What else?

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Make sure you eat and sleep well.

Have a checklist to ensure you pack everything you need.

That's never been a problem. :lol:

But on a serious note, it's best to start extra hydration a couple of days early.  Especially out here in the desert. 

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Well you know my prep...

A)Choose clothes the night before.

B)Ask Shanley if he got everything HE needs.

C) Put on my boots BEFORE my corset

D) Slap in my teeth, and there ya go!!!

And this is why we love you :wub:

4 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Sacrifice an Unruly neighborhood child to the Goddess of Weather.

I can donate 20 or 30 to the cause, if it would help. 

:ph34r:  Plus 100 on the checklist!  Prestage equipment, ammo (besides gauging and double checking for split cases, I kiss each rifle round as I put them in the cartridge box :D!), personal stuff (I forgot lip balm one time--  easily replaced, but some things like meds may not be).  Soft foam rubber cheapy ear plugs to insure good nights sleep if you happen to have noisy neighbors.  Don't experiment with untried or exotic foods (until Saturday night).

Between now and then, fall asleep to your own affirmative mantra as you envision yourself successfully navigating a stage. 

Have confidence in your preparations and skills.

Might consider a few balance exercises.....:P........

Good luck.

i mostly just figure out my menue and make a packing checklist to try not to forget too many things i need , wish i was going to EOT but im not , yall enjoy and tip one for me in the after hours , 

27 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

It's just another match.  Prepare accordingly.  Give me a ring if you need.

This ^^^^

My alias to my alias is OCD Kid :P! Routine is my key to my shooting.

I find when I am really "on" it is because I shoot the same as I practice, the same as a local match and the same as any other match, big, small or just for fun.

Pressure can only be applied by one person.... You!

A strong routine gives me a schedule, a sequence of events/tasks to be completed the same each time and a built in checklist to follow.

For me those things are relaxing and help keep me calm.

A calm  mind can be easily focused on what needs done and not become side tracked as easily.

Works for me.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

13 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Sacrifice an Unruly neighborhood child to the Goddess of Weather.

I thought unruly children sacrifice yielded unruly weather… find a kiddo with a sunny disposition for good weather!

10 hours ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

This ^^^^

My alias to my alias is OCD Kid :P! Routine is my key to my shooting.

I find when I am really "on" it is because I shoot the same as I practice, the same as a local match and the same as any other match, big, small or just for fun.

Pressure can only be applied by one person.... You!

A strong routine gives me a schedule, a sequence of events/tasks to be completed the same each time and a built in checklist to follow.

For me those things are relaxing and help keep me calm.

A calm  mind can be easily focused on what needs done and not become side tracked as easily.

Works for me.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Awwww....but when we first met...you were quite 'wound up' just before a stage.:P

Do not forget the raingear....

Sunscreen...

Gun cleaning equipment...

Misc spare parts that you might need?  Chicago screws?

Is the vehicle ready?

A great selection of cowboy music is a must....

A stash of cash in the event something is in need of a new home....

Pack a great sense of humor...

Phone charger....

Have a great time!

15 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

If the match is more than three days bring an extra pair of underwear.

That's just wasteful. 

At day four - you simply flip them inside out.

Day seven - you go commando.

Now in a somewhat serious response.

Doc Shapiro is 100% correct - the match is NO different than any other from a performance standpoint.

You already know your equipment/ ammo is reliable.

You already know you're capable of hitting every single target/ understanding and executing every single sequence or transition.

There will be nothing presented to you within the match that you have not already successfully engaged a thousand times in your shooting career.

Go out and shoot - have fun and if simply you do what you already KNOW you are able to do - the results will sort themselves out.

Elevating the "importance" of the event above the game you play every weekend is just adding stress and pressure.

After the initial hype and pomp - the Super Bowl is just the same game the players have been playing since Junior High.

After "Shuffle up and deal" - the World Series of Poker is the same 52 cards and rules as the home game we play at our neighbors.

And at the completion of the hugs, reconnections and the final words of the safety meeting - End of Trail is just twelve stages (taken one at a time) of the same sequences, target arrays, movements and transitions that you mastered a long time ago.

Good luck.

Go to the barber and get a haircut.

Let the mustache grow out a bit. (Since Covid I keep it shorter so N-95 mask fits better in isolation rooms, the life of a Respiratory Therapist) 

Clean the boots

pick out outfits for Classic cowboy 

clean the guns load the ammo.

put a dab of KG-9 Leather Kote on the insides of holsters.

etc....

Relax and enjoy yourself.  After doing all the checking of equipment and ammo, remember if you forgot something that you’re not going BFE you can always buy what you forgot.  Take the time to have fun, catch up with old friends and to make some new ones.  As long as you finish with a smile, and your a good pard to others you’re a winner.  

Always clear off a spot to put that new Trophy when you get back home. ;) I agree with Doc and Creeker. It's just another match. You are either ready or you aren't. Never make any last minute changes to your game. IMO, the worst thing that I've seen people do is go to the Big Game, take one of the classes from the Super Heros, then go into the match the next day and make the mistake of trying something new! Dumb move.  

Snakebite

On 2/10/2022 at 10:25 PM, Buckshot Sheridan said:

I can donate 20 or 30 to the cause, if it would help. 

There are no unruly children around here but I have some irritating neighbors I could throw in. Could even gag and hogtie them for you.

Hogleg

Geez, you guys scare me.  My list is a lot different from yours...

1. Register For Match, EARLY and make Hotel Reservations.

2. Week before match, make sure the vehicle is ready to go.

3. Two days before match, pack vehicle, realize there isn't enough ammo, panic and crank out enough ammo overnight for the match and a couple of extra stages.

4. Day before match, DRIVE, DRIVE, DRIVE, and Don't Forget To Pickup Lil at the Airport! Note, if the distance to the match exceeds 1,000 miles, insert one day at Step 3.

5. Night before match, sleep at the destination, hopefully, and Pray that I didn't forget anything important!

6. Match Day...Smiles, Nothing But Smiles, and shootin', there has to be some shootin'!

Didn’t make it to EOT this year, but before any big match I do 2 things. Make sure I stay hydrated and practice is just laying the guns on props and practicing pick ups and getting on target quickly. 

Think you got it right.

Make sure to check, double check ammo.

Make sure guns are in as good a working order that they can be.

Polish all my brass sights. 

Check all screws and such on leather. Also make sure holsters are not sticky.

Work on what you can/need to. 

Don't over work to point of burn out.

Don't over think it.  

NOW. If I would just do some of that. Maybe I could do a little better. 

On 2/12/2022 at 7:24 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

ALL the above, PLUS...... stay away from TN Williams, especially if he's toting around them cursed chicken feet, owl feathers, or Possum Penis Bone.

..........Widder

I have got to get to Tennessee to see these guys in person!

Archived