SASS Wire Forum

1875 Remington Outlaw Help Needed

Dutch Charlie bowdre

If this is in incorrect Forum , my apologies

Hi need some help 
I have a Uberti 1875 Remy Outlaw. Broke the hand spring Got new part from VTI and replaced same 
All seemed fine till I went to the range
Loaded up the cylinder and ...no go bang 
The hammer  seems to stoop about 2mm from fully closing So I am just getting a very light strike on the primer.
Take the rounds out of the cylinder and on dry fire the hammer falls as it should.
???
checked the main spring ,it seems fine
the hand seems to work as it should
I am at a loss as to the solution
Only thing I changed was the hand assembly
Is there some relation to the new hand spring 
Appreciate any helpful suggestions 
Thanks 

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Is it a lighter spring than the old one?  Too light springs can cause the problem you describe.  

i did put in an aftermarket lighter main spring Might be the culprit??>And having replaced the hand assembly just happened at the same time 

The firing pin just barley dimples the primer . Perhaps the new hand spring in combo with the aftermarket light mainspring is causing me grief .

Thanks

You mentioned a new main spring. Was the spring specifically for a Remington or is it a Colt style spring? The part that fits into the frame should be folded over and twice the thickness of the rest of the spring.

https://i0.wp.com/guntoters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/1875-Remington-Outlaw_Blue_10.jpg

Is the spring too long and hitting the hammer restricting movement?

Did you adjust the tension with the set screw?

11 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

What those other fellers said. Check your base pin. It might be in too far.

I thought of that too, but he did say the hammer fell completely when unloaded.

Some of the newer ‘75s don’t have the spring tension screw! I noticed this when examining a new one at a local gun store recently.  

I have four ‘75s and all of them do have the tension adjustment. I STILL do my major adjustments by gently bending the mainspring. I discovered, long ago, that carefully bending the stock spring, rather than grinding and polishing it, produced better results and gave me much longer spring life.

It’s a “trial and error” process. A little at a time until you get what you want and then make fine adjustments with the tension screw, if it’s present on your particular gun.

When I had my first pair of Remingtons done, the gunsmith ground and polished the springs and the guns worked great. But after a season, one of the springs broke during a match. I had a stock spring in my emergency kit and replaced the broken one between stages. I adjusted the screw between stages for the rest of the day and finished the day without further incident. 

That evening, a gunsmith friend who was on my posse, sat down at the table where I was cleaning my guns.  We got to talking and he suggested that I pull the spring and try bending it to change the hammer pull. I’d about decided to take the gun back to the original smith for repair, but I pulled the grips and popped out the spring.  It was stiff as the back springs on my truck, but after a couple tries, we had it perfect without any grinding and it’s still in that pistol today! Fifteen years later!!  I picked up another stock spring and replaced the lightened spring in my other Remington and they’re still busting primers all this time later.

Archived