SASS Wire Forum

Lee Loader for Shotgun?

Rip Snorter

Probably have enough shells for the matches I'm likely to shoot this year, thinking ahead.  I recall sitting at my coffee table as a starving student loading handgun cartridges with their basic kit.  Worked.  Looking at their site, it would appear that I can get their basic 12 gauge machine for around $90, and a 20 gauge conversion set for $29.  I am a long time reloader with a Dillon and a Rock Chucker.  I really don't want to make a big investment to load for shotgun, but what should I know about the Lee?  Users, if possible.

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Get a MEC 600jr

OLG 

Thanks, I'm still replacing some guns for SASS and would rather not spend that much.  I don't like cheap gear, and will keep your suggestion in mind for somewhere down the road.

I have a friend with an older Lee LoadAll, springs wear out over time and you have to remember what you're doing or you get a bunch of powder everywhere and it gums up the primer feed, which seems like a bad day waiting to happen... I don't know if that's any worse than any other shotgun loader out there, but that's what I observed... 

spring kits from Lee are usually only the cost of shipping and come free if you are buying something else from them...

I have had my Lee Load-All II for around 20 years.  I mostly only use it for BP shells, though (dipping the powder).  So I have made around 5000 BP rounds and a few hundred smokeless with it, plus used it to seat the wad and drop the shot into a few thousand more all- brass shells.  It has always worked fine.  I haven't been using the powder hopper part so not sure how well that works.  I do not care for the primer feed.  I lay out my primers on the bench top, and after deprime/resize stage, I put the shell over a new primer and press it down to start the primer into the pocket, then seat it on the press.  YMMV.

Regarding El CupaJoe's comments, I don't know of any springs in the Load-All II.  Maybe another loader?

Generally speaking the Lee load all is at the bottom of the pile.  Yes it will work but the aggravation that it generates in trying to produce a good shell it not worth the effort.  Many times it is possible to buy a used MEC 600 Jr. for the same or less than a LLA.  The 600 will out last you and keep its value when you go to sell it and move up to a progressive.

I had a Lee Load All once. It worked okay for awhile, but they are just not designed to load in the quantities used in say trap shooting or CAS. Was also slow and tedious to use. I found a nice used 12ga. MEC 600jr for under $100 and switched. No regrets.

Space in the loading room is always a factor.  I only have room on my bench for one press at a time and I keep the other loaders on some shelves in the room.   Sometimes it's like working a Chinese puzzle when I go to change presses.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

I don't like cheap gear,

Then you won't like the Lee Load-All.   There is no "stop" at the low point of the cycle, so you have to feel the correct travel to put into each operation on each shell.  If you intend to load more than a box a month, move on to at least the MEC 600 Jr.

Install what ever loader you end up with on a 3/4" plywood base, and stick an old rimmed cookie sheet between the loader and the "base" so that it catches loose powder and shot.   You will have a bunch to catch, especially as you learn to load shotshells.  It is MUCH messier than cartridge loading.   Then you pick up the whole base and store it away off your loading bench when you get done.  Perhaps start with c-clamping it down to bench top.  Move to quick-disconnect (quarter turn or machining tooling quick clamps) hardware later if you like it fancy.

good luck, GJ

I've used a MEC 600 Jr since the middle '70s.  I've had a replace a few parts on it... mostly the wad fingers.  I upgraded mine to an auto prime drop, and have to adjust it every so often... once every few years... truly onerous (sarcasm button off).  I truly don't like handling primers by hand, too easy to foul 'em.

One tip, whichever press you buy, put a cookie sheet under it.  Mount the press  near the middle, but within easy reach.  If you haven't yet, you WILL dump at least a hull's worth of bbs.  They're much easier to pick up if contained inside the cookie sheet than they are rolling all over your bench and floor!

Steel vs. plastic.  Your choice.  As far as mounting just bolt the Mec to a breadboard.  Mount it to the rear of the breadboard and it will be rock solid.  When done loading just pick it up and put it away.

DSC_0006.thumb.jpeg.89ad28d280a264068ee151f120a7addf.jpeg

DSC_0003.thumb.jpeg.4bbd331011ad3f91494a431ffed43e99.jpeg

Since the room on my bench is limited I put my presses on a board with a hole in one end.  I have a hole in my bench with a “T” nut in it.  When I switch between presses I put a thumb screw threw the board and secure it down to the bench into the T nut.  When I need an open area to work I take the press off and the area is clear for other work.  Here are a few pictures.

1068099868_Benchwithpressinstalled.jpg.725770396c7a18b196e0ec50bb84d022.jpg

1940321305_Thumscrewinbench.jpg.32dceceb4ac6c5d8a8f79bd3eab2d3c9.jpg

1425998798_Barebench.jpg.a401410fdc06bbc5158ccb302ff9396e.jpg

I've owned a few LEE Load-All presses, in 20 ga, 16 ga and in 12 ga. They will load shells but I'm of the opinion they are a poor purchase. They are handy to have to cobble the odd slug or buckshot shell, but in the end you will develop are real hate for the overall cheapness of the product. 

214110688_LEEloadAll.thumb.jpg.236f83e107d076d0c462c0523f719c86.jpg

I made this base for my 16 ga LEE, it clamps in a vice. Very handy and I've used it a fair bit, but I still hate it. I regret not buying a conversion kit for my MEC everytime I use it. The small metal tab is to help locate my roll crimper and stabilize it. 

Lots have recommended a MEC, usually the 600 Jr. I've owned a few of these and still have the one I bought new in the 70s. I've sold the others and upgraded to a pair of MEC Sizemasters, one in 410 and one in 20 ga I have a conversion kit for 12 for it, I will buy a 16 ga kit one of these days. The sizemaster has an adjustable clamp style of sizer for the base of the shell. IMHO it is worth the money to upgrade to it. Other than that, both are a good machine, I've used them on and off since the 70s. I do not regret ever buying a MEC. I did own a MEC Grabber, but it was more of a fixer up and sell it deal. With a MEC, the auto primer feed is a good addition for the 600. A sizemaster come with it. 

YMMV, but I think you will forever regret buying a LEE LoadAll. 

BB

5 minutes ago, "Big Boston" said:

I've owned a few LEE Load-All presses, in 20 ga, 16 ga and in 12 ga. They will load shells but I'm of the opinion they are a poor purchase. They are handy to have to cobble the odd slug or buckshot shell, but in the end you will develop are real hate for the overall cheapness of the product. 

214110688_LEEloadAll.thumb.jpg.236f83e107d076d0c462c0523f719c86.jpg

I made this base for my 16 ga LEE, it clamps in a vice. Very handy and I've used it a fair bit, but I still hate it. I regret not buying a conversion kit for my MEC everytime I use it. The small metal tab is to help locate my roll crimper and stabilize it. 

Lots have recommended a MEC, usually the 600 Jr. I've owned a few of these and still have the one I bought new in the 70s. I've sold the others and upgraded to a pair of MEC Sizemasters, one in 410 and one in 20 ga I have a conversion kit for 12 for it, I will buy a 16 ga kit one of these days. The sizemaster has an adjustable clamp style of sizer for the base of the shell. IMHO it is worth the money to upgrade to it. Other than that, both are a good machine, I've used them on and off since the 70s. I do not regret ever buying a MEC. I did own a MEC Grabber, but it was more of a fixer up and sell it deal. With a MEC, the auto primer feed is a good addition for the 600. A sizemaster come with it. 

YMMV, but I think you will forever regret buying a LEE LoadAll. 

BB

Thanks! I was thinking of something similar, which I'll need for a Mec as well.  I designed a base to raise my Rock Chucker, works great and raises the press to a better working height.  Wouldn't you guess I named it the Upchucker?

Rip Snorter,

You mentioned in your original post about a 20 ga conversion for the Lee.  If you are looking for a 20 ga reloader, there are several nice MEC's on ebay for between $100-$200.  The 12 ga ones are more expensive.

As others have already mentioned, the MEC is the far better choice.  You should be able to find a used one that's more in your price range.

2 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Rip Snorter,

You mentioned in your original post about a 20 ga conversion for the Lee.  If you are looking for a 20 ga reloader, there are several nice MEC's on ebay for between $100-$200.  The 12 ga ones are more expensive.

As others have already mentioned, the MEC is the far better choice.  You should be able to find a used one that's more in your price range.

Thanks - primary thing is 12 gauge for SASS - I have two nice 20's which I only use for pheasant hunting, and I haven't done that in a few years.  The thought on 20 capability was mizewell since I have the guns.

Remember, you do not need to screw the base down.  A Mec set to the rear of a breadboard will NOT tip over or move.  This board in the photo is 10" x 15".  It is rock solid.  Why did I use a breadboard?  Because it is hardwood and does not have rough edges like plywood.

DSC_0002.thumb.jpeg.40ab54e8fc9d8de913a1b6fc190aafe4.jpeg

I haven't heard anything bas about the Lee Loaders, but I still use a Mec 600 Jr. that I bought new over 45 years ago.  You can probably find a nice used one for about the same price as that Lee.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Thanks - primary thing is 12 gauge for SASS - I have two nice 20's which I only use for pheasant hunting, and I haven't done that in a few years.  The thought on 20 capability was mizewell since I have the guns.

If you have two MEC 600jr 20 ga. presses you could convert one to 12 ga. by just purchasing the 600jr 12 ga. dies. I converted one of my MEC 12 ga. to 20 ga. for around $100.

1 minute ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

If you have two MEC 600jr 20 ga. presses you could convert one to 12 ga. by just purchasing the 600jr 12 ga. dies. I converted one of my MEC 12 ga. to 20 ga. for around $100.

Thanks - sorry I wasn't clear, I have two 20 gauge shotguns, at the moment nothing to reload shotgun shells..  

When my Mec broke I bought a Lee Load All II to replace it temporarily. I wound up selling the Mec and keeping the Lee. I love it. I only load for cowboy shooting so it's just fine! It makes a great looking shell also!;)

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Thanks, I'm still replacing some guns for SASS and would rather not spend that much.  I don't like cheap gear, and will keep your suggestion in mind for somewhere down the road.

look

on ebay,

I have loaded thousands of 12 ga. rounds on a Lee Load All. They're slow to use,but turn out a very nice loaded round if you do your part.

I bought mine when they were under $30,and it paid for itself in short order.

If I wanted to load hundreds of rounds a week I would move up to a MEC .But loading for just myself,I had no problem producing enough ammo to shoot local matches, without staying up all night to do it.

Of course , YMMV.

Choctaw 

Two things about the Lee - Like Garrison Joe said, you have to develop a feel for crimping, and the crimp starter isn't self-indexing, so you have to look up into the tube and see how the star is oriented, make a witness mark on the base, and manually index the shell when you put it in.

I started with a Lee Load-all bought from another cowboy and loaded with it for 4-5 years.  I now have a Pacific 12 ga loader and a Hornady 20 loader that I found at two estate sales.  Solid and made in the USA.  Limited plastic.  I paid $60 and $80 respectively.

6 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

I started with a Lee Load-all bought from another cowboy and loaded with it for 4-5 years.  I now have a Pacific 12 ga loader and a Hornady 20 loader that I found at two estate sales.  Solid and made in the USA.  Limited plastic.  I paid $60 and $80 respectively.

Well, there are plenty of Estate sales, but with a little over a million folks in one of the biggest states in the U.S., they're kind of spread out.  Going to a big gun show this week end, will look for Pacific and Hornady as well. Thanks! Looking at a different thread, I'm almost thinking Brass might be better.

2 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Brass might be better.

I love my brass hulls. I have them set aside for now to conserve my lpp's. Imo nothing shucks better from a sxs. You'll have to search for a thread for loading smokeless in them. I only load bp shotshells so I have no clue about that part.

10 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

With the Lee shotgun press, you get what you pay for.  Get a MEC.  It'll be worth it in the long run.  You said you don't like cheap gear.  That would be Lee (in my opinion).

For those that are old enough, some people still look back fondly at their Yugo's and think they were the finest autos ever built.  The Lee is the Yugo of shotshell loaders.

11 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

For those that are old enough, some people still look back fondly at their Yugo's and think they were the finest autos ever built.  The Lee is the Yugo of shotshell loaders.

Except that my Lee is still working like new 20 years later.  I'm sure there are plenty of other more appropriate comparisons, though.  Let's see, Vespa versus BMW?  :)  They will both get you there.

I load 12g, 20g, and 16g on Lee LoadAlls, .410 and 28g on MEC's, and 10g brass with an assortment of vintage and homemade tools. Despite the cheap plastic construction of the Lee, I have never had to replace a broken part, other than a wad guide now and then.

If you go this route, skip on the goofy primer feeder accessory - it's a real pain in the a$$.

Archived