SASS Wire Forum

Starting shotshell reloading - Primers question

Reverend P. Babcock Chase

I reload for all my sixguns and rifles, but never done shot shells. My plan is to use Win AA shells, waa12sl wads, Amer. Select powder, but primers are an open question. Handbooks say use win 209 primers and caution against other primers. I'm worried that I will have trouble finding Win 209's. Does any one have experience switching primers. Is it definitely a problem? I have plenty of powder. Thoughts? This is all new to me.

Rev. Chase

Most of us use loads at the low end of the data, many of us even less than that. Switching primer brands shouldn't be a problem, unless you're loading at the ragged edge of the upper end of the data. 

I have an 8# jug of AmSelect I've been using up, and am using about 14.4 grains with 7/8 or 1 oz of shot, and any 209.  Alliants published minimum is 17 grains with 7/8 oz of shot.

I also have been using what primers I can find which lately have been Cheddite 209.  As mentioned above switching primers should not make a significant difference with low pressure cowboy loads.   For my loads, hulls loaded with Cheddite primers get those again, they are a bit larger in diameter than Federal and Winchester, 0.242" vs 0.241" and 0.2415".  So far, no issues with use in my shotguns and shotgun knockdowns haven't notice a bit of difference either.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Cheddite-209-Primers-1000_box-Limit-5-boxes-5000-primers/productinfo/CH209/

Don't forget to use coupon code: HAZ21X to save on HAZMAT shipping.

As long as your loads fall mid range or below you don't have to worry too much about which primer you use.  Once you start loading shells that approach maximum velocities primer choice is critical in shotguns.

If you look as the below load data you can see how primer choice affects velocity when using the same shot charge. Note that to achieve the same velocity a different powder charge is required based on the primer used.

image.png.ab5948c9e2113cdf0b6225cd0ced1cb9.png

I just pick a random set of load data. to show but one example.

9 hours ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

I reload for all my sixguns and rifles, but never done shot shells. My plan is to use Win AA shells, waa12sl wads, Amer. Select powder, but primers are an open question. Handbooks say use win 209 primers and caution against other primers. I'm worried that I will have trouble finding Win 209's. Does any one have experience switching primers. Is it definitely a problem? I have plenty of powder. Thoughts? This is all new to me.

Rev. Chase

Sent you a PM

Archived