Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Primer shortage?


Recommended Posts

Ok, let me say this: I’m not going to do anything. This was an IDEA. I’m an idea man, not a “let’s do this” man! Hellbender can attest to that.

My days of good deed doing are done. This one is going to come back and bite me on the ass. I’ll probably be shooting Argentine primers the rest of my life!

Which doesn’t really bother me. I’m not worried about their quality!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And while ya'll are waiting for truckloads of $50 Federals to show up on the shelves, there's always Bingo, golf, and checkers!  :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Hogleg Hunter said:

That kind of defeats the purpose of having tuned guns.  I'd rather spend the money for Federals. 

What is the purpose of "tuned guns"? To shoot faster and cut a few tenths off your time every stage, I would expect. To shave a second off your total match time and move from 3rd overall to 2nd overall, edging out Christian Mortician or Little Dead Brewster, but if you're in the lower half or middle-of-the-pack like us, it really isn't going to make a whit of difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Ok, let me say this: I’m not going to do anything. This was an IDEA. I’m an idea man, not a “let’s do this” man! Hellbender can attest to that.

My days of good deed doing are done. This one is going to come back and bite me on the ass. I’ll probably be shooting Argentine primers the rest of my life!

Which doesn’t really bother me. I’m not worried about their quality!

Oh, yeah, I can attest to the fact that Tell is an idea man.  He's also kind-hearted, extremely generous, and does an incredible job helping out clubs as well as individual shooters.  Tell, please don't stop doing your good deeds!  We at the Up the Creek Gang couldn't possibly be making the comeback we are making after our cowboy town was destroyed by a hurricane without all the help you have given us!  And I know we are not the only club you have helped and continue to help.

 

Folks, the ONLY reason Tell bought so many of these primers was to help out shooters.  He has offered to sell them at his cost ($100 per 1000 with no haz mat fee, no sales tax, and no shipping fee added) which is not an unreasonable price considering the scarcity and high price of primers these days.  Sure, I could pay $150 + sales tax for a box of CCI primers right now here in my city, but I don't need any now and that price is mighty high. True, at this point we don't know how they compare to Federal, Winchester, CCI or other brands.   However, even though I don't need any primers right now, I'm still going to buy at least one box of these Argentine primers from Tell when I go to Columbus TX in March for the SASS Texas State Championship.  I urge those who live close enough to Houston to get them from Tell there or those who go to THSS or Thunder River Renegades matches to buy at least one box just to give them a try.

 

Hellbender

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

What is the purpose of "tuned guns"? To shoot faster and cut a few tenths off your time every stage, I would expect. To shave a second off your total match time and move from 3rd overall to 2nd overall, edging out Christian Mortician or Little Dead Brewster, but if you're in the lower half or middle-of-the-pack like us, it really isn't going to make a whit of difference.

Actually, I'm in no way a gamer, and last time i was shooting SASS regularly I was happy to have improved from the last time and be in the upper quadrant.  I have a pair of professionally tuned hand guns that are a pleasure to use.  One even done by Eddie Janis, so not inexpensive.  I have had others in the past that I did a little spring work on which improved them considerably.  Smooth firearms at optimal performance are a joy, win, loose or draw!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

Oh, yeah, I can attest to the fact that Tell is an idea man.  He's also kind-hearted, extremely generous, and does an incredible job helping out clubs as well as individual shooters.  Tell, please don't stop doing your good deeds!  We at the Up the Creek Gang couldn't possibly be making the comeback we are making after our cowboy town was destroyed by a hurricane without all the help you have given us!  And I know we are not the only club you have helped and continue to help.

 

Folks, the ONLY reason Tell bought so many of these primers was to help out shooters.  He has offered to sell them at his cost ($100 per 1000 with no haz mat fee, no sales tax, and no shipping fee added) which is not an unreasonable price considering the scarcity and high price of primers these days.  Sure, I could pay $150 + sales tax for a box of CCI primers right now here in my city, but I don't need any now and that price is mighty high. True, at this point we don't know how they compare to Federal, Winchester, CCI or other brands.   However, even though I don't need any primers right now, I'm still going to buy at least one box of these Argentine primers from Tell when I go to Columbus TX in March for the SASS Texas State Championship.  I urge those who live close enough to Houston to get them from Tell there or those who go to THSS or Thunder River Renegades matches to buy at least one box just to give them a try.

 

Hellbender

Hey, I’m not a charity case Mark!

If they don’t want them then don’t buy them! 

Of course I’m gonna be shooting them exclusively from now on. Gotta be practical. Silver lining: I’ll never have to buy another primer in my life!
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just bought some federal sps and they cost me $118 per thousand shipped to my house from Brownells. I'm buying 3k from Tell and will pick them up at a shoot. I shoot WB, Pro steel and a few other things and I really hate burning up Fed primers for some of those activities.

 Thank you Tell for thinking of someone beside your self.

kR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

What is the purpose of "tuned guns"? To shoot faster and cut a few tenths off your time every stage, I would expect. To shave a second off your total match time and move from 3rd overall to 2nd overall

 

This is EXACTLY why I shoot "tuned guns".  :D

 

Totes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Hey, I’m not a charity case Mark!

If they don’t want them then don’t buy them! 

Of course I’m gonna be shooting them exclusively from now on. Gotta be practical. Silver lining: I’ll never have to buy another primer in my life!
 

I know that for sure.  But I hate to see people not take advantage of a good deal, especially because it was done for THEM.  Even though I said I don't need any NOW, that doesn't mean I have enough for LATER, so that's why I'm going to buy some from you in March (plan for the future!).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

I know that for sure.  But I hate to see people not take advantage of a good deal, especially because it was done for THEM.  Even though I said I don't need any NOW, that doesn't mean I have enough for LATER, so that's why I'm going to buy some from you in March (plan for the future!).

Of course nobody ASKED me to….

I imagine I’ll be well supplied for a long time. No rush. And more are available…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Howdy Tell.  Thanks for the effort.  Lately people see primers online from big suppliers at $75-90 per thousand, but limit lately is two and with hazmat they are around $100.  Only thing I see with reluctance to buy the foreign primer is that many folks have tuned guns and aren't sure how sensitive they are.  What will work great in a 9mm pistol might not go bang in a tuned gun.  They want to wait until "someone else" has tested them.  Having said that, if I was going to THSS I would buy a box to try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

What tune do they play?:P

 

Can I request some Black Sabbath?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Howdy Tell.  Thanks for the effort.  Lately people see primers online from big suppliers at $75-90 per thousand, but limit lately is two and with hazmat they are around $100.  Only thing I see with reluctance to buy the foreign primer is that many folks have tuned guns and aren't sure how sensitive they are.  What will work great in a 9mm pistol might not go bang in a tuned gun.  They want to wait until "someone else" has tested them.  Having said that, if I was going to THSS I would buy a box to try.

Well, I have “tuned” guns too! And my wife shoots Cimmaron Lightnings.

I’m loading ammo right now with these primers and in a couple weeks I’ll KNOW how they are.

Stay tuned….

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to add that (in my opinion), a properly tuned pistol will set off whatever primer you choose to use.  Reliability is the most important aspect of a tuned pistol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s an ammo company in Huntsville, TX (I was reading about them last night) and some of the reviews of their cartridges indicated a 10% failure to fire with a Glock/Striker semi auto. That’s got me scared. We got some primers a long while back (before Covid) to test - pretty sure they were Fiocchi - they wouldn’t fire in a cowboy’s gun that would fire Federal and Winchester. There’s a discussion on The High Road about them. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/zincpoint-primers.886146/
 

At THIS price - $100/brick, I can’t see myself buying an unknown… I was able

to find some Federal 100s from Natchez back in early December…with tax, hazmat etc came to $101.50/brick. I KNOW they’ll fire. 

I REALLY hope they work for you!
 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Tell, no need to test in a match.  You can load up some empty cases and see what sort of a primer hit you get.

I suppose so, but matches are FUN!

 I actually plan to fire a bunch out in the pasture BEFORE the matches!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tell, will you be at CAC?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not too worried about the Glock issue.  Revolvers seem to hit a little harder than Glocks, IMO.

If I get failures, then they will be used for practice only.  God knows I need all that I can get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

What is the purpose of "tuned guns"? To shoot faster and cut a few tenths off your time every stage, I would expect. To shave a second off your total match time and move from 3rd overall to 2nd overall, edging out Christian Mortician or Little Dead Brewster, but if you're in the lower half or middle-of-the-pack like us, it really isn't going to make a whit of difference.

There is still competition for middle-of-the-pack shooters depending on the category. I have seen categories won by 0.2 second. There is also the pleasure of shooting smooth functioning guns.

 

I don't shoot in Christian's league but I am competitive in Frontier Cartridge and frontiersman. And yes, I do like to win.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I picked up 5000 federal 155's for $170 shipped back at the beginning of the plandemic and have over 3000 left. My 58's have such light springs they wont fire anything but federals. I also grabbed up 2000 CCI's for my 1911 wild bunch pistol. That thing will light off primers made of stone if such a thing existed...lol...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just picked up 200 SPP CCI's for $6.99/100. I added that to my stash of about 10,000. I'd better start shooting some more! I also have enough powder to last into my next lifetime.:o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tell I applaud your efforts to help your fellow shooters out. If I were closer I would not hesitate to try a brick. If you still have any available and will be at CAC I will gladly take some off of your hands. I live in Columbia, SC and there's not a single store within a hundred miles that caters to reloaders. The best we have is Sportsmans Whse and saying they're terrible is an understatement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Tell, no need to test in a match.  You can load up some empty cases and see what sort of a primer hit you get.

Y’know, that’s a GREAT idea!!

I don’t know why I didn’t think of it!

THANKS!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll be at Landrun and would gladly pick some up for @Palmetto Traveller

 

as for the tuned guns… if I’m gonna shoot, travel, vend, etc and incur all the expense… and enjoy the MOST FUN EVER… I’m gonna shoot guns that function well and are smooth to operate. I like to win, of course, but I shoot LFCGF most all of the time… so it’s NOT about winning. 
 

Great big hugs!

Scarlett

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2022 at 9:27 PM, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

I just purchased a LARGE stock of primers because I could, with the intention of selling them to local shooters at cost. The price seemed reasonable to me, considering the scarcity. I even posted it on here to get a feel for how many shooters would be interested. Also messages to a few area clubs .

I must say the result is dissapointing.

My experience was the same as yours.  I snapped up 5000 CCI large pistol primers and 5000 CCI small pistol primers when I saw they were available (briefly) -- not because I needed them (I have plenty for myself already) but because I knew that a lot of people at our club are complaining about the lack of pistol primers.  I offered them for sale to our shooters for the exact same price I paid for them (including sales tax, hazmat fee and shipping).  I wasn't looking to make any money, just to help out my fellow shooters in need.  I didn't get the response I expected, and was starting to wonder if I would be able to sell them all or would wind up keeping them for myself.  I finally did find buyers for all of them, but it took a little time.

 

It seems what people really want is primers at $35.00 a brick.  I don't blame them -- I'd like that to, but it ain't gonna happen.  I figure my choice is either pay $.10 each or stay home, pout and let $5000 worth of guns gather dust.  I guess we'll all have to pay $15.00 for a match's worth of primers instead of $5.00 if we want to have fun.

 

The price of gas has gone way up, too, but don't think I'll let that keep me at home, either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Woody Shootem, SASS # 24816 said:

It seems what people really want is primers at $35.00 a brick. 

I always keep my eyes & ears open for powder & primers. In December, I came across an estate sale with a substantial amount of powder they were getting rid of. I bought 69 pounds of unopened Red Dot, AmSelect, Unique, Trail Boss, Clays, and Titegroup... for $5/pound. Suddenly, everybody was my best friend, and people I didn't even know were contacting me to get "some of that $5 powder".

"How much are you looking for?"

"At $5 a pound, I'll take all you've got."

Yeah, right. :lol: I'd quote a price (below *the going rate*) and suddenly I was "one of those gawdamn price gougers". Same with primers - most of what I have was purchased @ ~$24 - $30/1000, but now that you can't get them, I'm a thief because I won't sell 25,000 F100's, or WSP's, or R 1 1/2's, or whatever, at cost.

I bought my house for $20,000 *a few years back* - I guess I'd be a price gouging swindler to list it for $250,000. :mellow:

 

The new reality was thrust on us too fast, and it's going to take folks awhile to realize those days are gone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2022 at 8:59 PM, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Me neither, considering the way US manufactuerers have treated reloaders: last to get them!

I'm going to be using these exclusively, i think, just to prove a point!

They are being sold at our gun store in Columbus TX. She said this company has been in business for 50 years. I've seen them on gun dealers websites.

Check them for yourself: Servicios Aventuras.

Interesting name which in English means Adventures services I will check them out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had mentioned there's a store in my town where they are selling CCI small pistol primers for $150 for a 1k box.  They have plenty in stock.  This same place about 2 years ago had a 5 lb jug of Trail Boss on the shelf that had a $200 price tag on it.  Knowing what I know now, I should have bought it but I considered that price outrageous then because I had been getting it elsewhere for about $120 thereabouts.  Somebody did buy it.   NOW they have several 9 oz. jars of Trail Boss (which as you know isn't made anymore and doesn't seem to be available anywhere online) that they are selling for $50 each.  And I had thought the price of that 5 lb jug 2 years ago was exorbitant!  NO Way am I going to buy a jar of it. Buying enough of those jars to give me the same amount of powder that I used to get in a 5 lb jug for $120 would cost me $445! :o

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was told many years ago that reloading items like primers and new cases were the surplus after the cartridge manufacturers fulfilled their quota. Now that was back in the 60s a lot has changed and we all know more people reload now thanks to the progressive loading”machines” ! With 8 million more gun owners the need for more ammo is higher.thereby reducing any surplus ? I can remember buying guns from people and always getting the original box of cartridges that they bought with the gun. I don’t think that happens anymore. People are more trigger happy now a days!,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.