SASS Wire Forum

Hearing Protection for SASS

Rip Snorter

As is the case with many long time shooters, I wear hearing aids.  When I shoot, I use high quality electronic muffs.  When I last shot SASS matches I used Walkers Game Ears when shooting, muffs off the line.  If anything, in the intervening years, my hearing has gotten worse.  There seems to have been considerable progress in technology and quite a number of new electronic in the ear devices.Though I have researched them, I haven't come to a conclusion as to what would be best.  I would appreciate any user suggestions of devices they are satisfied with.  Thanks!

I can't be the only one who shot every round of .22 LR I could beg, borrow, or buy  as a kid with bare ears, and till the mid '60's (when someone figured out the harm) even nastier stuff including pistol and rifle magnums.  Hopefully someone knows, uses a great gadget and will tell! 

OTTO Engineering NoizeBarrier Micro 

I use these and find them to be comfortable and effective.  They are not cheap, but my hearing (or what's left of it) is worth protecting.  The "regular" price on OpticsPlanet.com is $399, but you can find them for $349 and sometimes even less if you look around.

Just now, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Heck what hearing LOL I dont know the thing you call Quiet over this 3M Tinnitus , while some days are better ,it never ends . So use what you can people . Wearing a hat isnt more important than hearing 

Sometimes my Tinnitus is as loud as the assembly line at Chrysler I worked on for a couple years as a young guy.  The HAs actually help, but you can't sleep with them, or at least not often.

19 minutes ago, Nostrum Damus SASS #110702 said:

OTTO Engineering NoizeBarrier Micro 

I use these and find them to be comfortable and effective.  They are not cheap, but my hearing (or what's left of it) is worth protecting.  The "regular" price on OpticsPlanet.com is $399, but you can find them for $349 and sometimes even less if you look around.

Many thanks! One I was considering - my remaining hearing is worth whatever I need to spend!

8 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Sometimes my Tinnitus is as loud as the assembly line at Chrysler I worked on for a couple years as a young guy.  The HAs actually help, but you can't sleep with them, or at least not often.

Same here 8 years in Combat  been blown up , actually had earpro in that time because riding in MRAPS for hours would make you tone death so if we were out knocking on doors we would wear them  so you could hear as well as possible before trick or treating , as Proven the 3m  combat plugs never worked , LOL ask me why i dont trust medical and government again :)

Not to the hearing aid point.Knock on wood.

Best thing I ever did was switch from flanged plugs to a custom molded pair. Work so well I sometimes have to take one out to hear the stage being read.

Shout out to Scarlet for fitting me for them. :)

Just now, Sedalia Dave said:

Best thing I ever did was switch from flanged plugs to a custom molded pair. Work so well I sometimes have to take one out to hear the stage being read.

Unfortunately, I'm deaf enough that without E Plugs, I have to ask the RO to pat me on the shoulder when the buzzer goes off.  I have custom ear molds on my hearing aids.  Not only more comfortable, I can put them on PDQ if things go bump in the night.

12 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Molded-in earplugs are the best, but the problem the OP is having (if he's like me) is that because of our hearing loss, with molded-in earplugs we can't hear ANYTHING, like range commands or casual conversation.  Some type of electronic hearing protection is needed to not only block harmful noises, but to amplify normal-level sounds like speech.

38 minutes ago, Grass Range said:

Wear plugs and muffs. Hats are not important

I agree protecting your hearing is more important, but hats are important to keep hot brass from going down your shirt.  If you shoot a 66 or 73, or shoot a 1911 in Wild Bunch, you need to wear a hat.  I think Marlin shooters can get away without one.

10 minutes ago, Woody Shootem, SASS # 24816 said:

I agree protecting your hearing is more important, but hats are important to keep hot brass from going down your shirt.  If you shoot a 66 or 73, or shoot a 1911 in Wild Bunch, you need to wear a hat.  I think Marlin shooters can get away without one.

Had that happen more than once, no big deal.  Did bring up a funny memory.  Took a gal I was seeing to the Range for the first time.  She showed up displaying some of her considerable attributes and dropped a hot one right into her cleavage.  Interesting, but I'm sure painful. 

I shot BP in a 8 gauge 4" double as a boy along with revolvers and rifles from 22 to 50 3-1/4" Sharp's.  I was often TAD for sustanace to the 11th Marines. My TO weapon was a 1911. At no time did I ever wear hearing protection. 

I got hearing aids with sound suppression from an LDS kid at EOT 2006who was starting a new company. I am now looking at Costco and VA hearing aids because of the many improvements over the years

Axil looks good

1 minute ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

I shot BP in a 8 gauge 4" double as a boy along with revolvers and rifles from 22 to 50 3-1/4" Sharp's.  I was often TAD for sustanace to the 11th Marines. My TO weapon was a 1911. At no time did I ever wear hearing protection. 

I got hearing aids with sound suppression from an LDS kid at EOT 2006who was starting a new company. I am now looking at Costco and VA hearing aids because of the many improvements over the years

Axil looks good

My best bud raves about the job the VA does on hearing aids.  I went to Costco and wasn't impressed by the exam, so didn't buy, but I have heard good things about them from others.  My new insurance covers most of hearing aids so will be looking for a new pair - Oticon was prominent in my research.

28 minutes ago, Woody Shootem, SASS # 24816 said:

Molded-in earplugs are the best, but the problem the OP is having (if he's like me) is that because of our hearing loss, with molded-in earplugs we can't hear ANYTHING, like range commands or casual conversation.  Some type of electronic hearing protection is needed to not only block harmful noises, but to amplify normal-level sounds like speech.

Took me a while to remember where I saw them but check out these. Allow for a custom molded plug that can be paired with over the ear style electronic hearing aids that are designed for shooters.

https://www.earplugstore.com/custom-molds-for-in-ear-devices.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page.

Just now, Sedalia Dave said:

Took me a while to remember where i saw them but check out these. Allow for a custom molded plug that can be paired with over the ear style electronic hearing aids that are designed for shooters.

https://www.earplugstore.com/custom-molds-for-in-ear-devices.html

Thanks! 

Depending on the hat, some muffs built with the behind the neck instead of over the top strap might work.

8 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Depending on the hat, some muffs built with the behind the neck instead of over the top strap might work.

Had a shooting buddy who used those with a Stetson, but I haven't found any electronic ones.  Thanks!

As my character is a cavalry officer of the 1870-80's, in addition to my custom fitted ear plugs, when I go up to the line, I change from a broadbrimmed hat to a kepi, which allows me to put on earmuffs over the top of the hat. You still get some conduction of sound through your skull bones.  I do NOT wear my hearing aids when I shoot.  Years ago, I wore those #&%! Lee Sonic ear valves.  The idea was that the sound pressure would close the valves.  They didn't work! As a consequence, because I did mostly highpower rifle shooting, my left ear is practically gone! I would have sued the company, but they were out of business before I figured out that I had damage to my hearing! :angry: 

BTW, can't you people type a little louder? :P

1 hour ago, DeaconKC said:

I tried that type and returned them.  They are much heavier than "over the top" muffs and because there is no top strap to resist the irresistible force of gravity, they need to clamp onto your head much tighter to stay in place.  Even with the tighter head clamping action, though, they kept falling down and hurt the tops of my ears.  You may get different results, but they were not for me.

This is what I have used for the past two years and really like them.  Several people I shoot with are now using them and lso like them.  

SportEAR GhostStryke Extreme with Bluetooth Neck Worn Rechargeable Electronic Ear Plugs

I have been using these with great success.....Walker's Silencer Electronic Ear Plugs (NRR 25dB) Pair, they are currently on sale.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018342050?pid=638445

On 2/7/2022 at 7:33 PM, Rip Snorter said:

I can't be the only one who shot every round of .22 LR I could beg, borrow, or buy  as a kid with bare ears, and till the mid '60's (when someone figured out the harm) even nastier stuff including pistol and rifle magnums.  Hopefully someone knows, uses a great gadget and will tell! 

no your not , i did the same - never wore hearing protection [except at work] for shooting till the Y2K event 

+1000 on the Otto. There is a hyper sense mode and I can hear clear up and down the line. Plus the case is a charging station that has yet to run out after many hours, in fact hasn't gone below 70%. Worth every penny. 

2 minutes ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

+1000 on the Otto. There is a hyper sense mode and I can hear clear up and down the line. Plus the case is a charging station that has yet to run out after many hours, in fact hasn't gone below 70%. Worth every penny. 

Many thanks!  Nothing beats experience.

I have been using Peltor Tactical TEP-100 electronic earplugs for the last 5+ years.  About $389.  They work for me.  I can converse with people and hear stage instructions with the amplification.  I have read about the Otto product and would like to learn more about them.  If anyone has used the Otto and the Peltor I would like to know which one you prefer.

1 hour ago, Black Hills Drifter said:

I have been using Peltor Tactical TEP-100 electronic earplugs for the last 5+ years.  About $389.  They work for me.  I can converse with people and hear stage instructions with the amplification.  I have read about the Otto product and would like to learn more about them.  If anyone has used the Otto and the Peltor I would like to know which one you prefer.

Drifter I have not used Peltor so I can't compare but I will say I don't just hear the instructions, I hear everything. I can hear conversations clear across the stages. I have used them indoors and out and they are awesome. The charging station is unbelievable. I have not charged it once and still at 70 % for a year. You actually put the earphones in the case to charge. The case itself charges the earphones and when the case needs charging you hook up to a USB. Anyway I can't say enough good things. 

Archived