SASS Wire Forum

Looking for matches near Albuquerque NM during August

Bearfoot Tracker

My wife and I are traveling from North Carolina to Albuquerque NM and will be there for 2-3 weeks in August 2022 to see our new grandchild. Since Founders Ranch has closed (where multiple clubs shot at) what options are available to shoot a match near there. I see on the SASS website that "Rio Grande Renegades" shoot there on the 3rd Saturdays .... is that still the situation for 2022? Where do the clubs that used to shoot at Founders Ranch now shoot, and when?

I started shooting SASS early last year (only 6 matches as of now), and my wife just recently started (only 2 matches as of now). We would love to shoot at a match or two while we are there. Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, Bearfoot Tracker said:

My wife and I are traveling from North Carolina to Albuquerque NM and will be there for 2-3 weeks in August 2022 to see our new grandchild. Since Founders Ranch has closed (where multiple clubs shot at) what options are available to shoot a match near there. I see on the SASS website that "Rio Grande Renegades" shoot there on the 3rd Saturdays .... is that still the situation for 2022? Where do the clubs that used to shoot at Founders Ranch now shoot, and when?

I started shooting SASS early last year (only 6 matches as of now), and my wife just recently started (only 2 matches as of now). We would love to shoot at a match or two while we are there. Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

RGR is who you need to call. 

Clubs that used FR are now using Hayes City range, home of the RGR.

Give their contact a holler.

Screenshot_20220207-125935_Chrome.jpg

BT,  A couple of hours north of Abq. the Tres Rios Banditos shoot on thw 2nd and 4th Sundays in Farmington,NM .Also, there is a new club getting started just north of Santa Fe.

There is also a club in the Los Alamos area,I believe. 

I'm sure any and all of those clubs would be glad to see you.

Drop on by and shoot with us!

Choctaw Jack 

1 hour ago, Choctaw Jack said:

BT,  A couple of hours north of Abq. the Tres Rios Banditos shoot on thw 2nd and 4th Sundays in Farmington,NM .Also, there is a new club getting started just north of Santa Fe.

There is also a club in the Los Alamos area,I believe. 

I'm sure any and all of those clubs would be glad to see you.

Drop on by and shoot with us!

Choctaw Jack 

Thanks. Yes...these clubs are 2 plus to 3 hours from ABQ.

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Be advised that temperatures over 100* are common that time of year. 

OLG 

BT will be in ABQ in August when afternoon showers are common.  100+ degree days are common in June and early July.  The summer monsoon season peaking in August lowers temperatures.  BT should bring rain gear.

3 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

RGR is who you need to call. 

Clubs that used FR are now using Hayes City range, home of the RGR.

Give their contact a holler.

Screenshot_20220207-125935_Chrome.jpg

Sue,

Only the Renegades are holding CAS matches at Hayes City.  They added additional matches before EOT to help prepare locals for EOT.  Concealed carry classes and law enforcement use the Hayes City berms as scheduled with the City Parks and Rec Department.  However, they do not use RGR’s steel.

1 hour ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Sue,

Only the Renegades are holding CAS matches at Hayes City.  They added additional matches before EOT to help prepare locals for EOT.  Concealed carry classes and law enforcement use the Hayes City berms as scheduled with the City Parks and Rec Department.  However, they do not use RGR’s steel.

I have gotten emails that have said RGR was offering BRR on stage on BRR Sundays, so they can continue shooting.

13 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I have gotten emails that have said RGR was offering BRR on stage on BRR Sundays, so they can continue shooting.

Sue,

You misunderstood the e-mails.

5 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Sue,

You misunderstood the e-mails.

Hmmmm....Garrison Joe had them worded pretty clear.

The point is, if folks want to shoot in ABQ (not the surrounding clubs) then RGR is who they need to contact at this time.

We will see you and Doc at EOT.

Thankyou everyone for your input. We will definitely look into shooting at Hayes City with RGR. We may also checkout one of the clubs a little further north if time allows. Thanks again.

15 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

If you shoot Farmington, it is a quick 45 minutes to Durango...

You could have dinner with the Bar D , and my buddy Joel.

And tour Mesa Verde the next day...

Just saying...you never know when you'll be back this way.

Singing Sue, I appreciate the suggestion. We have been out west twice already in the past couple years. While out there, we visited Mesa Verde and Durango, but that was before we got into SASS . We love the west, and am planning on eventually looking for some land out there closer (but not too close) to our kids & grandkids where we can park the RV and stay for extended periods of time. And, enough land where we can shoot on. I really like the Durango area, and Santa Fe area. While out there in August, we plan on visiting the Taos area .... as our son tells us it is a beautiful area.

18 minutes ago, Bearfoot Tracker said:

Singing Sue, I appreciate the suggestion. We have been out west twice already in the past couple years. While out there, we visited Mesa Verde and Durango, but that was before we got into SASS . We love the west, and am planning on eventually looking for some land out there closer (but not too close) to our kids & grandkids where we can park the RV and stay for extended periods of time. And, enough land where we can shoot on. I really like the Durango area, and Santa Fe area. While out there in August, we plan on visiting the Taos area .... as our son tells us it is a beautiful area.

Well then, Los Alamos club would be just right. A hop, skip and jump over to Taos!

Mustang Mya and Slim are members there and just great folks!

There is a shooting range between Sante Fe and Espanola where  cowboy club is starting.  Look near there.  Also, consider staying at one of the RV parks off Atrisco Vista and I-40.  Monthly rates are good and the City Shooting Range is nearby.  There are also backroads one can take to the Zia private shooting range.  BTW, Bernalillo County where ABQ is located prohibits shooting on private land.

Archived