SASS Wire Forum

A pretty girl with a big smile

We haven't seen them in years. Now the parents take all the orders at work and the kids do zilch. Sometimes ya might see 'em at a flea market. Miss their smiling faces!

My daughter always liked to be the best in her troop, which could be difficult because some of the parents really went out of their way to sell cookies at work. My wife  sold some, but not that many. So my daughter(and I) would cover her allotted neighborhood, we weren't supposed to do other girls' neighborhoods. At least not at first. She would also volunteer to do ALL of the sales sessions in front of the Grocery store, not just just one like most. And 2 weeks, and then 4 weeks after the first sales, we would then cover everybodies neighborhood, because by then the first batch of cookies would have been eaten. A couple of years in a row she earned the "300" cookie boxes sold patch.

They normally set up at the Supermarket This year I have not seen them. :(

Perfect timing.

I have one pair of pants I can still fit into. This'll fix that! :D

We used to buy GSA cookies.  Lots of them.  But we haven't in three years for two reasons.  First and foremost is the social engineering GSA now pushes.  Second is that they changed suppliers and/or recipe and they aren't as good. 

4 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

We used to buy GSA cookies.  Lots of them.  But we haven't in three years for two reasons.  First and foremost is the social engineering GSA now pushes.  Second is that they changed suppliers and/or recipe and they aren't as good. 

The recipes have been changing for years, my home-baked screwups are better.

Not that I would want to send them crap, I try to buy a box of cookies for our troops every time I walk past one of those tables. Don;t really care about their social engineering, parents have the most influence.

I do this as my cookies don't ship well.

A box of Thin Mints lasted only about half of the truck-pulling-trailer drive done by me and one of my sons from Virginia Beach to Denver last week.  Our mistake was bringing along only one box.

BUT -- we were told that road trip calories don't count, so it was all good. :P

Around 1992 I (engineer) shared an office with the buyer and estimated for a medium size fab shop.  We were always up to no-good.

One day the buy comes back from lunch with three boxes of thin mints.  A couple of hours later he sets a box in front of the estimater, a box on my desk and a box on his desk and says, "First one who finishes is the winner."

I don't know if I hurt more from eating or laughing. 

One day, many, many, many years ago, I was working on my Jeep when a Girl scout came up selling cookies. I mean the whole rig, hat, uniform, sash with 3000 badges on it, you get the idea. So I order a box. Little bit later another one shows up, not so many badges, I order another box. This happens twice more, each girl with fewer badges and now I am up to 4 boxes. I am putting the tools away and this tiny voice squeaks behind me. This one has 1 badge and no front teeth...oh well, 5 boxes won't last long in our house.

So, I am inside washing up and my Dad wanders back and says, "You won't believe this, but I have been hit up for 5 boxes of Girl Scout cookies!" I look over and said "The last didn't have any teeth?" He just looked at me and started laughing.

My Mom never did let us live that down.

A few years back I pulled into a truck stop near Buckeye AZ and was accosted by a mob of adorable little girls in green. Sometimes you just have to.  I like to freeze the Thin Mints and break them out at the campfire during the summer camp outs.

Archived